Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else stumped about where to buy your children's clothes now that Boden have declined in quality

(94 Posts)
perceptionreality Tue 24-Jan-12 09:06:12

....while their prices have shot up! I'm really frustrated about it. Their leggings are absolute shite now - years ago they were brilliant.

It's very annoying because my youngest is too wide for Gap stuff and I find other shops like M&S and Next are a bit hit and miss. The Boden tops used to wash and wash and could easily be used for 2 or even 3 children. Now after a few months of washes they are reduced to tat. Such a shame.

Where do you shop instead?

winnybella Tue 24-Jan-12 09:11:31

Petit Bateau?

BuildersTea Tue 24-Jan-12 09:14:57

I'm finding the same with Boden at the moment too. Some things are still wonderful quality but others not so much and I'm getting a bit tired of the gamble when I order. Plus, my daughter is getting to the point where she could really do with an age 6-7 which Boden don't do.

Anyway, alternatives. Joules quality is lovely but I find them pricey and the styles aren't quite as spot on for my two but we have a couple of bits from them. For the summer I find that I buy from H&M quite a bit - there are some nice bits if you wade through - last summer my daughter loved their twirly £2.99 sundresses and they washed well enough to do again this year. As they are so cheap I really don't mind that their longevity isn't up there with the pricier brands. I've also discovered Lands End for the children recently too and have managed to get some bargains from their clearance section.

startail Tue 24-Jan-12 09:16:45

I wish I knew. M&S styling is all over the place, lots of hello kitty that's too young for DD 10 Y and trying to be too fashionable that's just horrid.
Next's quality has gone through the floor, her present leggings look a state. I have old stuff that's been worn and worn by both DDs that's in better nick.
She has a nice Fat Face top, but that was £12 ( I can get tops for that!)

BuildersTea Tue 24-Jan-12 09:21:47

startail's post has reminded me that I also found a couple of bits for half price in the Fat Face sale.

MegBusset Tue 24-Jan-12 09:26:23

I find H&M the best bet by far. Next's boys' stuff has been dire for a while - too much grey/navy/brown, too many skulls/military motifs. M&S used to be great for colourful boys' clothes but their designs have gone really shit the last couple of years. Joules is lovely but out of my budget. Sainsbury's is OK for basics for 2yo DS2 but their 5+ stuff is horrid.

grubbalo Tue 24-Jan-12 09:31:23

John Lewis has had some nice stuff recently. Quite Boden-ish, but cheaper and better quality I've found.

Hatley for pjs and t-shirts.

smalltown Tue 24-Jan-12 09:31:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BettyBathroom Tue 24-Jan-12 09:38:20

I struggle too. I stopped buying the dcs Boden when I stopped buying Boden for myself - everything shrank and washed really badly. I usually shop now in H&M, sometimes I find things in Next and sometimes in M&S but for my 8 year old I really struggle with the line between being a bit too trendy and a bit too young.

wonderwooman Tue 24-Jan-12 09:42:18

H&M, John Lewis & Fat Face in the sale.

MarshaBrady Tue 24-Jan-12 09:43:35

I just ordered a whole load of stuff with big discount from Elias & Grace.

Really lovely quality.

wonderwooman Tue 24-Jan-12 09:43:36

For boys, that is. Don't have girls!!!

Pannacotta Tue 24-Jan-12 09:44:07

H&M and John Lewis.

ggirl Tue 24-Jan-12 09:44:59

Try Lands End , their childrens section is great and excellent quality.

perceptionreality Tue 24-Jan-12 09:59:25

Thanks for ideas. Out of interest which Boden stuff is still ok? For me everything I ordered except dd3's coat was a big disappointment. I agree Joules is good stuff but their range online is quite limited. Have not tried Land's End - will have a look at that.

perceptionreality Tue 24-Jan-12 10:01:03

JL, I ordered from for the winter but right now I can't see much I like. M&S - all over the place is a good way to describe it! I have bought stuff from H&M before but always forget it's there - must look more.

HipHopOpotomus Tue 24-Jan-12 10:23:01

H&M is great.

PattiMayor Tue 24-Jan-12 10:25:34

Polarn O Pyret is really excellent quality and because it's Swedish, the clothes are pretty roomy to fit giant Swedish children. DS is still wearing some age 2 mittens from there and he's nearly 5.

Stuff washes really well and the fabric is lovely.

silverfrog Tue 24-Jan-12 10:34:01

Boden coats still good (well, they were last year!)

some t shirts ok. trousers seem ok too, but I wish they would bring back the lined cords for girls (not combat style) - dd1 lived in those for a good few years!

socks still good from Boden (wash well, keep their shape and elasticity - pricey, but worth it, imo)

I have found the odd thing in M&S, but you have to hunt hard. as others have siad, styling is all over the place. but what I have found (a dress, some fab velvet trousers, the odd top) has been good quality and lasted well (having said that, it is always in the sale I find theses things - random stuff I have never actually seen at full price in the appropriate season, iyswim)

got some good trousers for dd1 from H&M - hard wearing, with adjustable waist (she is v tall, but no so wide; also, she has some fine motor issues, and adjustable waist trousers mean she can wear more styles of trousers (ie not just jogging bottoms) and not bother with the buttons/zips which she cannot manage)

silverfrog Tue 24-Jan-12 10:35:49

oh yes, POP are excellent quality. expensive, btu really good.

dd1's school coat is from there this year - fab fleece and waterproof combo. but the zip tag jsut broke - must complain about that as she has only had it since December (not the end of the world to put a new tag on, but at those prices - which I don't mind paying as it is sized well and she will get 2 years out of it easily - you don't expect that)

worldgonecrazy Tue 24-Jan-12 10:40:41

TK Maxx - have had some fabulous items for DD from there. It is a bit hit and miss but definitely worth a browse.

HappyAsEyeAm Tue 24-Jan-12 10:41:40

I have a DS rather than a DD, but here's my perspective.

I buy from John Lewis, Debenhams (John Rocha and junior J are the better ranges for him), a little bit of Monsoon, some M&S (I like their new spring things for boys, buut their autumn and winter range was appalling), lots of JoJO Maman Bebe (but they stop at 4-5) and Boots. And I only buy socks in Gap as so many others shrink in the wash or dryer.

I am really fussy in what I buy for him, and look more or less all the time to see what has come into stock. I hate transfers (prefer appliques), clothes that are too thin (prefer knits, even fine ones, which I layer up) for this time of year and things that are obviously uncomfortable to put on over his head - what's wrong with a bigger neck opening, or some buttons?!

theseventhdwarf Tue 24-Jan-12 10:44:41

Its so frustrating trying to get some decent kids clothes atm thanks OP for starting this tread.
I find H and M good if you rummage (for trousers etc), agree the quality in next and boden is disappointing compared to a few years ago when I was buying for ds.
I ve also the complication that dd age 3 is an utter tomboy so detests dresses or 'cutsie' outfits... but it s difficult to find the balance... often tops and jeans suddenly look too too trendy and 'teenagerish',
Zara do nice stuff but again find some of it variable quality and sizing quite small
I got a lovely gilet and coat from joules (sale too smile) which looks like nice quality and Ds has had a few of their shirts and tops and jeans that have lasted well.
OKAIDI have nice stuff that s not too dear. And the fabric s soft and wearable (dd likes tags cut off etc so likes softer stuff) washes well
On that note ... anyone got a magic secret for getting tomato based stains out of clothes??

melatoon4 Tue 24-Jan-12 10:46:00

For something a bit different I actually just ordered some clothes from America for my DD. Really wasn't as expensive as you might think either. There Carters, I find that not only do they wash and wash (poor daughter has reflux so they get washed a lot) but the onesies are a bit different, oh so soft and as yet I have never been disappointed by the quality.

Not for everyone and not cost effective unless you order quite a bit at a time (as you have to factor in shipping, handling fee etc). Only drawbacks I have encountered, I think I went a bit crazy this time and have changed my mind on a few pieces so ebay here I come !!!

blowninonabreeze Tue 24-Jan-12 10:46:12

Joules, POP, fat face and John Lewis.

I find fat face quality appauling in their adult range, but bizarrely the children's range lasts really well and washes beautifully. (although fat faces sizes come up small IMO)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now