epilators-are they any good?

(20 Posts)
hellymelly Sat 21-Jan-12 14:40:39

I had one aeons ago,when they first came out and swore never again.But have they got better? Do they still hurt like hell and leave horrible ingrown hairs?

DorisVinyard Sat 21-Jan-12 14:54:35

These give amazing results and no in-grown hairs

I have this
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000AS1N1C/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0012NO9OC&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=09VDFMAFB37CZAAG59HW

Way better than my (original !) Braun one but it still hurts... pulling leg hair is never going to be fun.

I still get the odd ingrown hair but not so many!

cheesesarnie Sat 21-Jan-12 17:48:39

i love mine.i had to work myself up to using it!i almost want the hairs to grow back quicker so i can do it more often!

ImpatientOne Sat 21-Jan-12 17:52:31

I have a Philips one - can't remember the name but it's a few years old and came with an ice pack hmm

I am fine with using it on my legs - yes it smarts a bit but I don't get ingrown hairs. It's got lots of attachments to use on other parts of the body but I cannot do that! I will quite happily be waxed anywhere but the epilator anywhere other than my legs is a total no no!

ThePetiteMummy Sat 21-Jan-12 19:36:42

I've got a Phillips one too, dh got it for me for Christmas, and it's great! It also came with a mini epilator, for doing your bikini line.

I've been using epilators for years, and the pain definitely lessens the more you use them. I now do my underarms, bikini line and legs, and can't say it really hurts any more <tough cookie!>. Regarding ingrown hairs, I can't say I've ever had a lot of these. I do think they're something you're either prone to or you're not.

hellymelly Sat 21-Jan-12 23:21:06

think I will buy one then.Not sure whether to go for phillips or braun now.I got lots of ingrown hairs with my original one- I have very fair and typical celtic skin,maybe that's why? Maybe my skin is too dry,I never get round to lotions and potions anywhere but my face.

ImpatientOne Sun 22-Jan-12 23:00:48

I used to use an amazing product called Tend Skin for ingrown hairs - particularly on my bikini line blush it's quite pricey and stinks but it really works if you are prone to them. I have once or twice used a post epilation gel but rarely bother!

MummyPocPoc Mon 23-Jan-12 00:02:07

I use Ingrow Go for ingrown hairs (Amazon, less than a tenner, or Boots) on bikini line. Works well, use it daily tho.

RatDesPaquerettes Mon 23-Jan-12 00:09:30

I have a 10-year old Phillips Satinelle, which is still going strong. I have not always used it diligently though. wink

I only use mine on my legs and underarms. I can't face doing my bikini line with it.

I would recommend some regular exfoliation plus moisturising to minimise the risk of ingrown hair.

RatDesPaquerettes Mon 23-Jan-12 00:11:18

Also, don't let your hair grown too long between sessions, otherwise it can be painful!

Anyway, I think an epilator is value for money, and also worth it for convenience alone.

RatDesPaquerettes Mon 23-Jan-12 00:11:49

meant 'grow'

fedupofnamechanging Mon 23-Jan-12 11:44:02

Get one with 40+ pluckers, rather than 20. I have a Braun and think it's fab - have had no ingrown hairs. Am not brave enough to use it underarm or on bikini line though!

hellymelly Mon 23-Jan-12 13:20:20

I'm with you karma.I am a complete wuss so will just do legs. I never bother with my "bikini" line anyway. A) my bikini days have been scuppered by dd2 and cake. and B) I favour the now charmingly retro full Kate.

fedupofnamechanging Mon 23-Jan-12 15:03:46

I use the words 'bikini line', kind of loosely. It is more of a theoretical line iykwim grin

Angel786 Mon 23-Jan-12 20:58:51

I've got the Phillips with the ice pack and the Braun silk epil. They last years!

Legs and arms don't hurt, bikini line (used to do but too lazy now!) takes ages and hurts!

ArtVandelay Mon 23-Jan-12 21:16:34

I am too prone to ingrown hairs to use these but my DH has inherited my Braun Silkepil and gets very good results on his chest smile He has less sensitive skin than I do and doesn't seem to get much irritation or ingrown hairs.

I never found the pain an issue once you get stuck into it and as long as the hairs weren't too long.

Tortoise Mon 23-Jan-12 21:22:23

I have the same one as doris.
I love it. Only really hurts on longer hair. I've done legs and pant mustache with it. Used old one on armpits and that really hurt. Not attempted with new one yet!

BrianButterfield Mon 23-Jan-12 21:25:28

I had one for about 5 years - it was OK but stopped catching hairs so I bought this one: www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4433295/Trail/searchtext%3ESILK+EPIL.htm and it is AMAZING! Compared with my old one, it's about three times faster and hardly hurts at all. I did my legs so quickly, I wish I'd bought a new one ages ago.

BettyRCollins Fri 29-Apr-16 16:24:32

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now