Talk

Advanced search

Split in nail - won't go away!

(14 Posts)
buttonmoon78 Tue 15-Nov-11 14:06:43

On my ring finger on my LH I have a ridge which goes from the nail bed to the tip of my nail. It has not always been there but has for about 18m possibly. It keeps splitting down the ridge to the quick.

I file correctly (one way only) and use good cream on them but I can't seem to stop it happening. I know that I'm washing my hands a lot ATM (17wk baby needing lots of nappy changes) but I do try to take care of my hands.

Any suggestions - I'm getting a bit fed up of it.

AutumnWitch Tue 15-Nov-11 14:20:45

I'd recommend this. I get the same problem, especially in winter when all my nails can shred. It looks like clear varnish on.

springboksaplenty Tue 15-Nov-11 14:22:18

Hmm it might indicate that you've damaged the Nailbed where the nail grows from. It might repair itself or (sorry) be permanently damaged in which case itll stay that way.

MaggieW Tue 15-Nov-11 18:58:47

I think it's worth getting it checked out by your GP, as nails can be an indicator of all sorts of things including thyroid problems. It's probably nothing, but as it's gone on for a while it wouldn't do any harm to have it checked.

bubble2bubble Tue 15-Nov-11 19:43:00

Would probably be inclined to get it checked out as it sounds quite severe but if your nails are suffering from constant handwashing this is magic stuff . Not sure of the exact science but it seems to kind of rebuild the nail.. ( have seen it cheaper somewhere other than amazon but can't remember the website at the mo,maybe Ebay)

Oblomov Fri 26-Apr-13 11:39:30

I know this is an old thread. But I have the exact same thing.

And I have just come back form having shellac nails done and the man said that mine was split, right along the ridge, back to the bed. And that there was nothing that could be done, and that it will never be o.k.

I am so very sad. My nails never used to be this bad. May have been not fab before, but not like this. Since pregnancy (9 & 4 yr old) they are rubbish. Ridged on many nails. But the wedding finger ridge and split means I can not grow my nails at all, like I used to. Not that I had them that long, but just a nice length. And he asked if I had damaged it or hurt it, but i could not recall doing so.

Is there LITERALLY nothing I can do?
I have never had false nails, I don't really like them, I can't go through all the infills stuff, like some woman do.

But I am honestly gutted that no repair kit, treatment , or vitamnins are going to sort this.
Is there really NO answer? sad

valiumredhead Fri 26-Apr-13 12:19:38

I don't believe that it won't put itself right eventually. I have damaged my thumb nail so badly in the past it completely fell off and it's fine now!

How long has it been like that?

Oblomov Fri 26-Apr-13 12:29:36

The ridge has been there a long time. As soon as a bit of white grows at the end of my nail, within a short time, it completely splits.
It has been like this for maybe a year. The ridge itself for quite a few years, I think.

PoppyWearer Fri 26-Apr-13 12:31:36

My thumb nail is the same, has been like it for maybe two years now.

Don't know what to suggest, sorry, I have to try to keep my thumbnail short not a problem as I'm a biter or it just splits and becomes painful.

Oblomov Fri 26-Apr-13 13:04:53

oh dear. I was really hoping that MN was going to save me and tell me how to fix this.

I have never bitten my nails.

valiumredhead Fri 26-Apr-13 13:42:31

Have you tried nail glue?

Oblomov Fri 26-Apr-13 13:57:21

Nail glue? What is this, of which you speak?

valiumredhead Fri 26-Apr-13 13:58:27

LIke super glue. I was just thinking you could 'mend' the nail with it or something. Guitarists use it to strengthen their thumb nails.

ElectricSheep Fri 26-Apr-13 15:19:37

Try some really expensive good quality vitamin and minerals tablets. My nails are a hundred times better since I took them. I only bother every few days but all the ridges and brittleness of my nails has gone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now