Talk

Advanced search

Make up 'contouring'. What is it? Should I be doing it? How should I be doing it?

(6 Posts)
MordechaiVanunu Tue 25-Oct-11 20:05:31

I've been spending too much some time on make up alley website, trying to get recommendations for products and tips for make up as I've felt in a make up rut, and I do just love all that obsessive cosmetic consumerism.

(now lusting after Guerlian terracotta bronzer in tortoiseshell compact).

Anyhow, everyone keeps talking of things being great for 'contouring' and one seems to require special powders and brushes for this.

I'm intrigued.

Where do I start? Is this an every day make up type thing, or a special occasion type thing.

I don't post on Make up alley so I'm back to good old MN for the advice. Don't let me down ladies, share your wisdom.
Ta.

thousandDenier Tue 25-Oct-11 20:09:12

I'm wary of it for fear of looking like this but would love to know how to do it properly.

<lurks clutching old blusher brush>

MordechaiVanunu Tue 25-Oct-11 20:17:46

Oooh dear, this obviously needs to be approached with caution...

scotgirl Tue 25-Oct-11 20:38:48

Check out some of lisa eldridge's videos on you tube. She is a great makeup artist. Yes she uses lots of products that you prob don't have but it gives you great ideas. I recently did her Cheryl Cole cover look for a night out and everyone was like - WOW!! I never get that! It gave me the confidence to go for it!!

MooMinCow Tue 25-Oct-11 21:15:12

I use this with an angled blush brush, and v light hand. Think it's best for going out/evening looks (more forgiving than brutal daylight!)

You need to find a non sparkly shade of blush/bronzer/powder a few shades darker than your skin tone (ideally should match the shadows on your face), but not too orange or red. I would go to somewhere like MAC and ask one of their make up artists. Pixiwoo have good YouTube tutorials too.

Havingkittens Tue 25-Oct-11 23:37:48

Yes, use and angled brush, quite soft as a firmer brush puts a lot more pigment on the skin. You can always build up if you need to. It's also essential to buy a decent quality brush with tapered hairs rather than one that is very blunt cut as this will give a stripy look with hard edges.

Sweep the colour under the cheekbones, along the side of your temples and under the jawline and chin. You can use it on the sides of your nose if you have a wider nose or along the top of your forehead if you have a high forehead. You can accentuate the contouring by highlighting above your cheekbones with either a matte powder a few shades lighter than your skin or a shimmery highlighter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now