Talk

Advanced search

Body Art (Tattoo's) - so tempted

(20 Posts)
Northumberlandlass Tue 25-Oct-11 13:35:55

I have thought about getting a tattoo for years. I'm 39 soon and I'm still looking for the perfect design.

Who has a tattoo (or several) ? Do you regret them?

BaronessOrczy Tue 25-Oct-11 13:48:50

I thought I'd regret a tattoo so I had my tummy button pierced to see if I really wanted something permanent - kind of a trial IYSWIM?

Loved it for 3 years then got tired of it. So whipped it out, job done, no permanent reminder and nothing to go saggy with old age grin

Slightly off topic but am glad I never had one!

If you have wanted one for years then you are unlikely to regret it.

I had one at 23 and one at 26, I want one more but have taken many years over this one as it will be my last so I want it to be fab.

Both of mine are behind me, one on my hip and one on the back of my calf, so when I stand in front of a mirror I can't see them, sometimes I still forget them are there and then spot them, examine them and think 'how cool is that!'.

So my advice-

Be really sure.

Get a rough idea of what you want and then get it drawn up and done by someone good, don't just choose form the flash of somewhere local. (Expect the above to possibly invove travel and a fair bit of money).

Have it somewhere where you won't see it all the time and where it is easy to hide where needed.

Northumberlandlass Tue 25-Oct-11 14:11:18

Thanks for replying.

I want one trailing down from the front of my hip onto to the top of my thigh. I have seen a lovely black/ grey/ White cherry blossom design (probably not making it sound v nice).

Yes, I think getting the right place is the key. We have loads here in Newcastle it's a bit like separating the wheat from the chaff. So will ask people I know for recommendations.

I feel like this is the right time, I'm not getting anything cute or cartoony (which I am sure I would regret)

Thanks again
NL

Bunch Tue 25-Oct-11 14:15:31

Another vote here for getting it where you won't see it often. I have one on the small of my back and one behind my ear. They are fab when I see them but I don't have to see them all the time iyswim.

moondog Tue 25-Oct-11 14:16:27

No, but unfortunately those around you do.

Don't.
Unless of course you wish to look as rough as a bear's arse.

Bunch Tue 25-Oct-11 14:17:51

And I would recommend getting it on a part of your body that isn't going to change much with age, ie won't get wrinkled, stretch marked, fat!

moondog Tue 25-Oct-11 14:19:02

How about not changing your body much yourself?
It';s nice as it is.

WooSuzy Tue 25-Oct-11 14:23:47

Not one for tattoos myself so not sure why people have them, especialy where they can't see them? also-- which part of the body will not get fat, wrinkled, stretch marked?

VivaLaSativa Tue 25-Oct-11 14:31:46

I have quite a few tattoos. I don't look rough as a bears arse either, what a vile generalization.Mine haven't ever stretched or sagged and I have had them for ages. They will fade over time but you just get a touch up.

OldBride Tue 25-Oct-11 14:32:15

Hi there. I am a Northumberland lass too - and I got my tattoo in York. In Blossom Street. I think it is quite important to get a parlour where you feel comfortable and that the staff know what kind of look you want. Go in yourself, ask if you can look at their design books, and make a judgement on how YOU feel about the whole place. I have two - I still love one, and I feel the other - the first one - which was a very specific symbol - reflected who I was 10 years ago, and not who I am now. You could always start with a small piece of the larger design you want.......... Good luck.

Northumberlandlass Tue 25-Oct-11 15:12:33

Oh dear, I knew there would be a split. I am happy Moondog, with my life and my body shape/ size at the moment smile

thanks to others for advice. I will have a good look around before I decide where to go! Might even post a pic wink

QuinnFabray Tue 25-Oct-11 16:04:26

I'm 36 and got my first tattoo last week. I think by our age, we should know ourselves well enough to know whether we might regret it. Very different from getting one as an 18 year old, I think.

I have a small black symbol that really means something, on my outer wrist, so I can't see it unless I look for it. I was very conscious of not getting it done on anywhere that is going to sag and wrinkle too much. I love it, and want another one already.

Northumberlandlass Tue 25-Oct-11 16:20:28

Thanks Quinn. I am pleased you like your new tattoo. I am going into newcastle in my lunch hour tomorrow to have a look at some places, v excited about it.

QuinnFabray Tue 25-Oct-11 16:25:32

Also, I think, so what if the tattoo doesn't mean quite the same in 10 or 20 years time? It really means something at this point in my life, and it will always be there to remind me of this time in my life.
I'm very different to my 18 year old self, but I look back on 18 year old me with love and fondness, and I suspect my 60 or 70 year old self will look back on my 36 year old self with equal fondness. Not sure if I've explained that very well, but that's why I think I will never hate my tattoo.

NinjaTurtle Tue 25-Oct-11 16:31:11

If you're looking for recommendations in Newcastle, Inkslingers just down from Eldon Square is good. Don't go to Hype though, terrible apparently.

Northumberlandlass Tue 25-Oct-11 16:35:15

Quinn, you have described it perfectly. Well, I understand where you are coming from grin

Thanks Ninja, I will have a look at that. We were just talking about Hype today.

fretfree Tue 25-Oct-11 16:35:35

I had one done when I was about 20 - loved the design, which a friend drew up for me, but unfortunately the art work was crap and I think I had some sort of reaction to the ink, so I hated it. Had a second tattoo done over the top of it when I was about 30. The tattooist had started life as an artist before he moved into tattooing and I love it - nearly 10 years later. It was taken from a photo of something that was very dear to me (a pet, who was very much part of my identity at the time) and it still brings back very fond memories when I see it (on hip). Absolutely no regrets - just thinking about it makes me smile smile

paulapantsdown Tue 25-Oct-11 16:45:37

Each to their own and all that, but with tattoos I have always thought that I don't like the same clothes, make-up, tv shows or anything I was into 5, 10, 15 years ago. I don't wear the same jewellry or have the same hairstyle or clothes than I did then, so surely I would be fed up with a tattoo by now?

DooinMeCleanin Tue 25-Oct-11 16:52:44

I have two. I despise one of them (got it on a very toned 17 year old tummy hmm) and one I don't mind so much but I am thinking of it having it covered with something a little more grown up. A devil in nappy seemed like a good idea at the time, but not so much now.

I don't hate them as in I try to hide them (well I hide my tum, but that's more to do with the size of it than the tattoo grin) and they don't effect my day to day to life. I just wish they were something a bit less daft grin

My advise would be to be very sure about the design you get. If you find one that would cover a devil that is approixmately 2 inches long and one inch wide and does not look stoopid or make me look a Man U fan, do let me know.

My sister has loads and hers all look great. They're mainly quotes or things that mean something to her. Although I am non too keen on the angel/devil on her shoulders thing, they look slightly less ridiculous than mine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now