Talk

Advanced search

Comfy yet not frumpy - the ultimate shoe challenge

(14 Posts)
herbaceous Tue 25-Oct-11 12:07:56

I had this shoe problem all last winter without managing to solve it, so I'm falling upon the mercy of S&B.

What I need is a winter shoe, or ankle boot, to go with jeans and trousers of various sorts. They need to be supportive, with nice thick soles - I have collapsing feet - and warm and waterproof-ish, for toddler-related outdoor activity.

This would not be too hard, if I wanted to look like a rambler. But I also want them to be cool and groovy. I bought some fit flop trainers online, as they looked like a sturdier version of Converse (which is what I'm wearing now), but now they've arrived they looked a good deal more, er, orthopaedic than I was hoping. Very comfy though. But think they'll be going back.

Camper shoes are the sort of thing, though a bit pricey. Some of the high-top trainers the young people are wearing are quite 'fun', but I'm in my forties and don't want to look like an arse.

Help me S&B - you're my only hope.

herbaceous Tue 25-Oct-11 12:09:51

Ooh... hello

Pootles2010 Tue 25-Oct-11 12:09:58

Will be watching with interest! I'm very much after same sort of thing....

herbaceous Tue 25-Oct-11 12:16:50

Bit much? Or v useful.

AFuckingKnackeredWoman Tue 25-Oct-11 12:20:15

Ooh i like the uggs

I dread winter shoe time.

i want these but i don't think i can pull them off

herbaceous Tue 25-Oct-11 12:22:11

I do like a biker boot, but they raise the problem of what to do with trouser bottoms. Unless they can be tucked in, it's unsatisfactory.

LesserOfTwoWeevils Tue 25-Oct-11 12:24:07

How about these or these? Sturdy, warm, flat but stylish.
Or brogues?

TracyK Tue 25-Oct-11 12:41:03

www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Rigger-Style-Boots-TAM25456/dp/B004OJL5IY/ref=sr_1_4?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1319542822&sr=1-4 I've been eyeing these up cos they are cheap!

herbaceous Tue 25-Oct-11 13:31:01

Also cheap and comfy looking.

Weevils - like the look of all those, but have something similar. Looking for greater sturdiness...

MrsOzz Tue 25-Oct-11 13:32:00

I have just bought these boots and love them!

BaronessOrczy Tue 25-Oct-11 14:32:17

What about Chelsea or Jodphur style boots?

like these

or

these

herbaceous Tue 25-Oct-11 18:30:25

They're a bit too smart, Baroness. Not great for traipsing through the undergrowth.

sevenoften Tue 25-Oct-11 21:25:29

The reviews of these say they're comfy. Suede, though, so perhaps not for forests in winter...

MovesLikeJagger Tue 25-Oct-11 21:54:00

Aw crap. I have promised myself I am not buying any more shoes but now I HAVE to have those Ugg trainers. I hate Ugg boots or anything else Ugg but they are exactly what I'm looking for! ARRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now