Talk

Advanced search

Who's style do you like?

(11 Posts)
hairybeans Tue 25-Oct-11 08:33:49

I'm doing a bit of sorting out my style project at the minute as I'm a real mash of things and have a huge wardrobe full of things that don't work together. One of the first exercises is to make a list of whose style I like and want to emulate. I'm having brain freeze, can't think of one other than Blair waldorf from gossip girl, and I'm not really into her style! I need some inspiration.

So who are your style icons and why?

PrimaBallerina Tue 25-Oct-11 08:54:20

Nicole Ritchie, Kate Moss, Alexa Chung and Victoria Beckham are my fairly obvious choices.

That's not to say I could/should wear half of the stuff they do. What all of them have in common is that they look 'easily' stylish (VB's skyscraper shoes aside) and all seem to favour a sleek silhouette. I don't particularly like the big vintage frock with lots of accessories look for example.

I posted a few weeks back about feeling in a style rut of always wearing skinnies, neutral tops and flats. A few people replied to say they also favoured the style and someone called it 'a bit French'. When I thought about it I realised it's just how I look best and feel most comfortable so I'm sticking with it.

MrsVoltar Tue 25-Oct-11 09:09:30

Charlotte Gainsbourg, like her stylish but not too showy, bit rough round the edges style.

I went through a 'phase' last year of thinking Kate Middleton but never really 'fitted' with me well, she's far too 'prim' for me.

Like Alexa Chungs style too but a bit young for me.

henrythecat Tue 25-Oct-11 11:01:11

I like Taylor Swift - pretty, soft, feminine, a touch of vintage, wearable (lots of high street items) and I like the fact that she looks fantastic at red carpet type things without putting everything on display. <girl crush>

henrythecat Tue 25-Oct-11 11:03:35

Emma watson too - gets it so right most of the time, nice balance of looking polished and groomed but still young.

Have you tried looking on www.polyvore.com - it's a site where people put together outfits using celebs as inspiration - you can search by celeb at the bottom of the page. I really like it as you can usually find and buy the items quite easily.

TheCountess Tue 25-Oct-11 11:13:52

Jackie O - her looks from the 60's/70's still look good fifty years later. Yves Saint Laurent said once that "Fashion fades, style is eternal", I always try to remember that.

JeremyVile Tue 25-Oct-11 11:23:09

Karen O.

Could never carry off her look but love how beautiful and geeky and oddball and colourful she is.

AdelaideJo Tue 25-Oct-11 16:04:25

Agree about Karen O. AMAZING hair..fab body...cool outfits.

noddyholder Tue 25-Oct-11 16:05:33

Kate Moss, helena Christensen,classic but individual and a bit bohemian.

blobtobetter Tue 25-Oct-11 18:54:45

Blair Waldorf in season 1 - loved the hair bands!

Kirstie Allsopp - fab coats and heels.

Marilyn Monroe - v feminine.

Amy Adams in Enchanted - just adorable!

Nippysnippy Tue 25-Oct-11 21:05:49

Angelina Jolie. Minimalist. Neutral. Unfussy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now