Talk

Advanced search

Is this ok to wear to an interview?

(15 Posts)
SirHumphreyAppleby Mon 24-Oct-11 18:37:02

Sorry I can't find a picture to link to, but do you think this would be ok to wear for a uni interview for a nursing course: it's a black work shift dress from sainsbury's (glamorous, moi?) and have got some court shoes and will also get a blouse to wear underneath the dress. I know it's probably a bit naff, but could someone please advise me as to whether it is appropriate interview wear? TIA

cyb Mon 24-Oct-11 18:38:47

Yes it sounds smart enough but I reckon a cardi/jacket over dress woudl be better

mumblechum1 Mon 24-Oct-11 18:39:01

Sounds good to me.

I wear a lot that sort of stuff to work (lawyer), it looks smart imo.

The alternative would be the dress withoiut the blouse underneath, but a matching jacket on top?

EssentialFattyAcid Mon 24-Oct-11 18:40:29

Sounds fine to me.
Nurses wear uniforms anyhow - as long as you look well groomed and clean and as though you are taking the interview seriously I don't think you can go wrong.
Good luck!

SirHumphreyAppleby Mon 24-Oct-11 18:41:21

Thanks that was quick! I know the dress doesn't have a matching jacket, and I didn't know if a cardi would be too casual? Ideally I would like to wear some colour, purple or red suit me, but would that be really inappropriate?

LesserOfTwoWeevils Mon 24-Oct-11 18:49:13

I think a cardi would be too casual, yes. A purple or red jacket would be good, though.

SirHumphreyAppleby Mon 24-Oct-11 19:13:02

Thanks everyone, think I'm going to start again and go for a suit. Does anyone have any tips for fairly cheap (less than £100 preferably quite a bit less) suits?
I

TethHearseEnd Mon 24-Oct-11 19:15:50

this jacket over your black shift dress would work well.

EssentialFattyAcid Mon 24-Oct-11 19:28:17

Will you ever wear a suit again? I think it's completely unecessary to buy one just for this interview.

If you have a blouse under the dress then a jacket won't be needed - just wear a coat to get to the interview

I think a cardigan is formal enough. Even our chief nurse doesn't wear suits.

You are not going to be assessed on what you wear, only if you look clean, tidy and smart and as though you have made a bit of an effort.

SirHumphreyAppleby Mon 24-Oct-11 19:41:00

EFA, I hopefully would wear a suit again as I hope to have 4 more interviews, but not beyond that so would be better if I can use this dress which I could often wear, just want to be sure it's not too casual though, I'm confused now!
Tethers, that jacket is perfect, except I need a size 20, but I will look out for similar, thanks.

TethHearseEnd Mon 24-Oct-11 19:43:45

Peacock sizing is quite roomy.

I think a jacket over the shift dress would be very smart, as long as they look matched.

Will look.

TethHearseEnd Mon 24-Oct-11 19:48:01

Oooh, this jacket with matching skirt is nice and a bargain...

SirHumphreyAppleby Mon 24-Oct-11 20:03:32

Thanks, not too keen on that, but love the peacocks one. Think I will order it and take the chance!

TethHearseEnd Mon 24-Oct-11 20:05:50

Yeah, that suit is a love or hate job grin

Hope the Peacocks one works for you.

SirHumphreyAppleby Mon 24-Oct-11 20:25:07

Even if it doesn't fit, I've got more idea of what I want, thanks so much for your help everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now