Talk

Advanced search

Have I got the wrong foundation brush?

(19 Posts)
pARGHssTheTwiglets Mon 24-Oct-11 12:24:05

Aftrer a few recommendations I bought this brush to put liquid foundation on with. But the brush is so light and fluffy that it doesn't seem to spread the foundation around. It seems more suitable for putting powder on.

Have I got the wrong brush or is this really supposed to be for liquid foundation?

Bangtastic Mon 24-Oct-11 12:46:00

Yep wrong brush, you need one like this

pARGHssTheTwiglets Mon 24-Oct-11 12:47:46

Oh buggerybollocks sad I bought 2 as well (one for a Xmas present)! I did think that it needed to be that sort but I'm sure that people said that the kind I got were better. Thanks though, Bangtastic!

zoe88 Mon 24-Oct-11 12:49:29

You can use that brush for liquid foundation. I've got one and love it.
I pump foundation on the back of my hand, tap the brush in it then using circular motions I apply it starting in the middle working out. I find it looks a lot more flawless using that brush.
grin HTH

Bangtastic Mon 24-Oct-11 12:52:39

The ones you got may well be better! I have never had much luck with brushes though, always find the foundation settles onto my skin quicker than I can spread it so now I just use my hands, rub it on like moisturizer then blend with fingertips and pat grin does the job just fine, haven't had a streaky face yet!

Icelollycraving Mon 24-Oct-11 13:37:16

An excellent foundation brush is made by By Terry. The best in my kit. The one you have bought looks better for powder shimmer or bronzer. It isn't designed to hold weight if that makes sense.

chocolatespiders Mon 24-Oct-11 14:17:11

I dont know anything about brushes but wondering if I need one smile currently apply lancome foundation with my fingers. I worry the brush will hold onto the foundation (which I cant afford to waste) where as my fingers sprea exactly what I pump out> but am I wrong!!!!

pARGHssTheTwiglets Mon 24-Oct-11 15:28:17

The MAC woman told me that brushes are by far the best way of putting on foundation - but she may just have been trying to sell me a brush smile

zoe, I'll have to try your circular technique and see if that's any better.

whojimmyflip Mon 24-Oct-11 17:10:07

You don't need a brush but it gives a heavier finish. With very silicon y type foundations ( thicker ones) i think brushes are useful to get a good even coverage. But tinted moisturisers or lighter foundations fingers are better. Your fingers help the foundation blend into the skin more whereas heavier foundations are more like another layer so a brush makes sense.

OP I think the brush you have is better for minerals as possibly it's quite big. But also it depends what sort of foundation you are using.

The clinique one is good but i can also recommend a cheaper one from boots no7 or Eco tools.

lechillycornsilk Mon 24-Oct-11 17:13:29

I have a no 7 one - was about a tenner (I think) - is fine.
bare escentuals would be for mineral foundation wouldn't they?
could sell them on ebay

cyb Mon 24-Oct-11 17:17:27

Bonjour le cornsilky

lechillycornsilk Mon 24-Oct-11 17:18:05

bonjour cyb grin

Havingkittens Mon 24-Oct-11 19:07:49

That brush is perfectly fine for foundation and cream blusher, it's just a different technique to using the flat brushes. The main mistake that most people make with foundation brushes is to putting too much product on the brush or trying to work on too large an area at once. Then you end up with a big wet heavy patch of foundation that you can't blend. Just put a very small amount of product on the tips of the brush and blend well, work your way around the face from the forehead down, blending from the middle of the face outwards so that you don't end up with a big tide line of foundation in your hairline or at your jawline.

Also, you can get a very light natural coverage with a brush and build up as you need it. Foundation brushes are not necessarily for heavy coverage but to give you more control over your coverage.

If you just put a tiny bit of foundation on the tip of the brush you also won't end up loosing half your foundation in the brush and most of what you pump out will go on your face.

Havingkittens Mon 24-Oct-11 19:11:04

Sorry, meant to also echo the point made earlier - that the brush you linked to should be used in circular motions whereas the flat brushes are used in short "paintbrushy" strokes.

pARGHssTheTwiglets Mon 24-Oct-11 19:24:45

Thank you very much, everyone! Havingkittens, that tutorial of how to do it is brill, thank you. I was trying to do it in strokes rather than circles so will have a go of it properly tomorrow. Great, glad I haven't wasted my money!

Havingkittens Mon 24-Oct-11 20:17:10

My pleasure. Excuse the dodgy grammar! I meant to delete the "to" grin

Hullygully Mon 24-Oct-11 20:18:02

Yes.

mippy Mon 24-Oct-11 20:37:01

I use exactly that brush - I found that the flat one went all streaky.

what I do is kind of stipple the foundation on my face and then blend it in in a criss-cross motion - sounds like the tutorial you use! It's dead similar to the MAC 187, which is super popular with make-up geeks, so if you google that you might find more tutorials.

Havingkittens Mon 24-Oct-11 20:52:40

"I found that the flat one went all streaky." - maybe from putting too much foundation on the brush?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now