Talk

Advanced search

What is it that turns a bob into a mumsy look?

(16 Posts)
PetiteMum Sun 23-Oct-11 23:47:33

and what makes it young and funky? I have mid length wavy hair at the moment and so bored with it! It just hangs in no style....

applecrumbleandcream Sun 23-Oct-11 23:58:13

No layers usually. I've got a bob and just have to have layers in mine otherwise it's too thick and mushroom like!!!

I think lots of choppy layers would make it look fresh and funky, try a full blunt fringe or slices of colour or highlights. I would also suggest a slight graduation so it s not the same all the way round.

Try googling layered bob and there should be loads of pics of suggestions. Good luck.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 24-Oct-11 08:45:24

Yes its a blunt cut that makes it mumsy. Which is what my last hairdresser gave me. Cow. Dont go there anymore.

noddyholder Mon 24-Oct-11 09:50:27

Over styled and 'tidy' hair is very mumsy

NotJustClassic Mon 24-Oct-11 10:04:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mrsrobertduvall Mon 24-Oct-11 10:11:29

Depends on your face as well smile
I would love a severe Louise Brooks bob but I would look old and haggard.
Instead I have a choppy Lulu type do but not as bouffy.

HettyAmaretti Mon 24-Oct-11 10:12:02

Not to be mumsy / shit a bob needs to be an excellent cut and requires quite a lot of work. It's not a wash-it-and-leave-it style and a quick blast with the dryer isn't going to cut it either, unless you happen to have fab hair and a fresh, top quality cut.

They're deceptively high maintenance, potentially stunning but usually a disaster waiting to happen IRL.

TethHearseEnd Mon 24-Oct-11 10:15:58

Depends completely on your face.

A bob made me look mumsy at the age of 14. Never again.

Catsdontcare Mon 24-Oct-11 10:22:04

It needs to he quite short, not below the chin, graduated, with lots of choppy layers.

I agree with hetty that you need a quality cut by a hairdresser that takes her time. My hairdresser usually spends atleast an hour and a half cutting mine. They can be high maintenance in that I can't go longer than 5 to 6 weeks between a cut

pictish Mon 24-Oct-11 10:23:25

God, bobs do nothing for me except age me by 10 years! Even when I was a teenager!! Lol!

Jessicaalbastwin Mon 24-Oct-11 10:25:50

Cant stand bobs, I was forced to have one when My hair was falling out after having DD, would never have one again.

MustControlFistOfDeath Mon 24-Oct-11 10:30:15

What turns a bob into a mumsy look?

Old haggard face with mega bags under the eyes from lack of sleep, sick stained clothing from baby projectiling onto you (only when you are out and don't have a change of clothes obv), small screaming child in attendance grin

NotJustClassic Mon 24-Oct-11 11:09:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Missingfriendsandsad Mon 24-Oct-11 11:12:01

A Grey fleece and/or crocs

Eyelasher Mon 24-Oct-11 12:29:55

i think a lot of people have them with high forrids that would suit a fringe.

or too much glasses.earrings necklace conflict

ameliagrey Mon 24-Oct-11 17:50:30

Whta IS a bob nowadays? i think of a straight Cleopatra style all one length with or without a fringe- but then I look at Lulu and would say she has a bob but a shaggy one.

I'd say I have a bo-ish style- slightly shorter layers on top- but still jaw length, and longer layer under coming just above my shoulders with a side fringe. I either turn the ends under or sometimes flick them up a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now