Talk

Advanced search

Superdry jacket. Do you know what they are sized like?

(16 Posts)
mynaughtylittlesister Sun 23-Oct-11 22:03:04

As in a regular size 10 means a size 10 or does it differ greatly.

DD who is almost 12 is desperate for a superdry jacket for Christmas. I say ouch especially as it will be for weekend wear but at the same time its what she wants for Christmas.

Do they actually do children sizes (I have only just started to look)?

Thanks

MrsVoltar Sun 23-Oct-11 22:17:55

They are tiny.
I'd get her to try on, my sis is a size 12 and needed the large.

Has been a thread in the past with people complaining how small they were and their DDs being size 12-14 & directed towards the menswear angry

mynaughtylittlesister Sun 23-Oct-11 22:26:46

Thanks MrsVoltar - I have just literally found that thread - Wanted it as a surprise as I have said "no". Hmm back to the drawing board!!

I so wish there was a standard size for clothes - would be so much easier. (this afternoon DD2 tried on a jacket in Next and needed a size 14, no way is she a size 14 - A size 8 yes)

DD3 will have to be tricked I think and me made to look a "bad" mum - get her to try it on in shop etc and then tell her she cant have it. Then go back and buy it on my own - cruel way to shop sad

lborolass Sun 23-Oct-11 22:29:29

MrsVoltar is right - the sizes are ridiculous. I don't think they do childrens stuff and they don't do sizes other than small/med/large etc.

A normal size 12 year old probably needs a medium, I wouldn't buy online, you need to at least see the sizes yourself. I also think that they way they are cut only suits androgynous body types.

mynaughtylittlesister Sun 23-Oct-11 22:39:19

lborolass - really?? DD3 is very feminine but at the same time a very healthy size/weight (not overweight but certainly not on the skinny side)

Do you have any ideas what other "name/brand/designer" would be good for an almost 12year old without breaking the bank?

Thanks so much for the input - really appreciate it.

Maryz Sun 23-Oct-11 22:47:35

Teeny.

dd (age 15) is a woman's size 10/12 in most normal shops, but very little in superdry fits her at all (even the large size is skintight).

I guess if you have no hips and no boobs, things might fit. But I think they are aimed (size wise) at pre-teens rather than teenagers.

And if its Superdry she wants, don't try and buy her anything else grin. I have come to the conclusion that you can only get two types of clothes for teens - either very cheap, disposeable clothes, or the exact type, make and size of expensive designer stuff they ask for. Getting something in the middle is a waste of time and money.

For example, dd wears mostly cheap clothes but has one Hollister hoodie and one good pair of jeans (can't remember the make). ds2 has one Hollister t-shirt, one pair of Nike track bottoms and the rest is from Primark.

Catsdontcare Sun 23-Oct-11 22:52:50

I have a super dry jacket I'm a size ten to twelve most places and my jacket is a large and tbh it is snug!

LynetteScavo Sun 23-Oct-11 22:56:35

Interesting.

DS1 who is 12 has told me the only, really, the only coat he could possibly wear standing at the bus stop on the way to school is a Super Dry jacket. hmm

So I've ordered a small, thinking if they fit everybody else in Y8......

mynaughtylittlesister Sun 23-Oct-11 23:01:32

Maryz - that was what I was hoping for, let DD3 have her designer jacket and the rest of her clothes normal etc........ hmm....
Cats have no idea what size DD3 is as she tried on a jacket in New Look today - adult size 6 and it was too small. She is not a huge 11year old just a healthy size (basically in age 11-12 clothing sometimes 12 - 13!)

Thanks everyone

lborolass Sun 23-Oct-11 23:03:59

Lynette - you might find a small is OK, ime 12 year old boys vary hugely in size but I'd check the return policy just in case. I really don't understand why they size the way they do but I guess their clothes aren't aimed at me.

I worry about girls who want to wear their clothes, it can't be healthy for a size 10 to need to buy a large as catsdontcare says.

mustdash Sun 23-Oct-11 23:05:54

DD1 is almost 12 and a petite, no breasts, skinny sporty type. Their extra small fits her perfectly (she needs a small in Johnnie B).

I have to say, I know it is expensive, but the quality is absolutely brilliant. She lives it in outside school, and so far I think it is worth every penny.

mynaughtylittlesister Sun 23-Oct-11 23:07:09

DD3 wants to wear the label as all her friends do. Its only since going to senior school that she has really bothered with labels and names etc..... before that she has always been interested but to be honest always happy with supermarket/street labels etc

Maryz Sun 23-Oct-11 23:07:41

The men's stuff in superdry is much bigger than the girls', ime.

Maryz Sun 23-Oct-11 23:09:56

I find it doesn't matter whether most of their clothes are "label", certainly not for dresses, leggings, t-shirts, that type of stuff.

One really nice jacket (in whatever label is in where you are), and maybe one good pair of jeans, and a nice handbag and she'll be fine.

TK Maxx is great for the odd pair of jeans or designer t-shirt at a reasonable price. Also for hoodies and shoes/boots.

mynaughtylittlesister Sun 23-Oct-11 23:11:03

DD3 quite clearly told me today that she does not want a "boys" coat!!! At the time I was teasing her in Monsoon as we had seen some lovely jackets there and I moved into the boys department - her face said it all - she did however eventually realise that I was teasing but at least I now know that she will not contemplate a boys coat!

PattySimcox Mon 24-Oct-11 10:27:15

Superdry have a seconds type outlet shop on e-bay - IME the type of faults the clothing have are not really noticeable but the prices make it slightly less shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now