Talk

Advanced search

Inexpensive but non-horrible winter coat for pregnancy

(18 Posts)
openerofjars Sun 23-Oct-11 21:31:43

I have just gone through my old maternity gear and, in addition to how horribly aged, bobbly and dated it now seems, DS was a November baby and this one is due in late May, so my clothes are all wrong. Plus, I'm about a dress size smaller now (hooray!) so most things don't fit anyway.

I've had a look all over the internet for a coat and have come to the conclusion that I'm going to be better off in a normal wool duffel coat from eBay (there are loads) than spending £50 on a polyester coat that won't fit in winter 2012, with a bit of luck.

I can cope with looking like Paddington, but does anyone have any alternative coat solutions? I don't need to look business smart, ever, and must have pockets. I figure that, in a duffel, I could just leave some toggles open for the bump.

Have just read the above ramble and clearly neither style or beauty are relevant to this query. Is there a "have given up/can't be arsed/frump" subtopic? grin

TethHearseEnd Sun 23-Oct-11 21:42:08

Wow, snap- DD was a November baby and am now due in late May smile

Am having a similar dilemma. best coat I've seen so far is this one but it was reduced and now it's full price.

openerofjars Sun 23-Oct-11 21:49:28

Congratulations! Hope you're not feeling too grim at this stage.

Hmm. Bit on the pricey side for me, I'm afraid! I want a Topshop duffel but am far too old and fat.

Back to eBay?

TethHearseEnd Sun 23-Oct-11 21:59:22

Congrats to you too! Am feeling like shit on toast. Blllleeeeuuurrrggghh. How about you?

I think ebay is the answer. Or I reckon one of my coats will fit until the January sales wink

sprinkles77 Sun 23-Oct-11 23:28:08

Depends on how much warmth you need. I'm thinking this. You could layer it with jumpers, scarves etc. Not sure if it has pockets though.

Graciescotland Sun 23-Oct-11 23:44:53

I had a double breasted trench coat that I took the buttons off and wore belted closed, might be worth a second look at your existing wardrobe!

CopperLocs Mon 24-Oct-11 07:56:02

I am due late march and had the exact same dilemma. I ended up with a lovely coat similar to the one TeatHearseEnd posted, only mine was from H&M for £39. I got it in the rust colour and I'm in love with it! But they also do it in black and I think cream (don't quote me on that!) I'll see if I can find a link.

Happy Hunting!

CopperLocs Mon 24-Oct-11 08:02:18

Found it:

www.hm.com/gb/product/94030?article=94030-B

It's been reduced to £19.00 as well! Which is not so great news for me as I paid full price last week [Angry] but great news for you is you;re looking for something cheap and cheerful smile

openerofjars Mon 24-Oct-11 10:27:43

Sold to the woman with her head down the toilet! I feel like shite and have convinced myself it will be twins as I never felt this crap with DS.

Thank you, Copper, and angry for you re the sale: how annoying is that? Can you take it back and then buy another one cheaper?

Right: off to the shops to try it on, before the duffel coat I've got my eye on on eBay goes.

I think a tulip shape coat may well be the way forward as DH already has a duffel coat and if we both wear them together people will quite rightly throw fruit at us.

Grumpla Mon 24-Oct-11 10:30:38

Copperlocs did you buy it in your normal size or a size up? I'm due end Feb and desperately seeking something warm - all the maternity coats I've found so far are both hideous and flimsy...

kickingking Mon 24-Oct-11 10:40:21

Marking my place - due in April, I think I have another month's worth of wear out of my padded coat and maybe til Christmas with my smarter wool coat (which is not warm at all and I an a chilly mortal)

All the maternity coats are flimsy and horrid, I will not get away with a non maternity as I looked like mr greedy last time!

openerofjars Mon 24-Oct-11 12:01:23

CopperLocs - it's an online only offer and still £39.99 in the shops, so if you still have the receipt, take it back & reorder online! Thank you again: it is a fab coat and looks like it will have plenty of boob room as well.

By the way, ladies: New Look maternity skinny (and possibly bootcut but didn't check them) jeans are £12 at the moment, down from £22. Get in. I am wearing them now and, for £12, they aren't bad at all. Not as nice as the H&M over the bump ones, but those are £30, so hey.

CopperLocs Mon 24-Oct-11 20:09:38

openerofjars Glad to be of service! Unfortunately I can't find the receipt and have already worn it so can't return but I like it enough not to be too bitter!

Grumpla I got it one size up as it's the kind of style that doesnt look ridiculous if it's a bit bigger and I want to be able to wear it beyond pregnancy! It's very warm so deffinately worth checking out.

I got the New Look maternity jeans too! I got them this afternoon while I was out spending far too much money time with my mum! Got the reduced to £12 ones and the full price £22 ones that weren't in the offer. Both of them are really comfortable. As much as I love my H&M maternity leggings, I'm so fed up of wearing leggings and long tops. Can't wait to wear my jeans this week. I can show them off as it's half term so no work for me! grin

KatAndKit Mon 24-Oct-11 20:13:41

The cheap New Look jeans are fab, and they do include bootcuts.
I got the pale colour ones with the narrow waist band to wear now, and the nicer dark indigo ones for later, as I'm not big enough for the big jersey bump warmer yet!

I also got some cheap stuff online from Bonprix. A nice jersey dress and a nice maternity top. All very cheap.

openerofjars Mon 24-Oct-11 20:33:18

Jaysus: the Boden duffel coat (I know, I know) that I was watching on eBay just went for £60.

Copper, DH is truly in your debt. wink. I have told him that today New Look and Mumsnet saved him me £80 and he is duly impressed.

Hmm re New Look skinnies: anyone else found them, well, slipping down a bit, or is it just me and my massive arse? Ah well, for that price, who's bitching?

I do love Mumsnet. grin

KatAndKit Mon 24-Oct-11 20:44:16

I just got a new coat from Asda. I went up one size, it only buttons at the top and I think it will last me until I get to 7 months or so when I might have to wear it open. Since I only paid 19 pounds for it I don't care if it is too big for me next year. It is a lovely bright red colour too.

CopperLocs Mon 24-Oct-11 21:30:28

I'm impressed too opener! I take it you ordered the coat online? Let me know what you think when it arrives!

openerofjars Mon 24-Oct-11 22:37:43

I tried it on in the shop today and asked an assistant about it, then went home and bought the cheap online version. It is lovely. I am getting the black version. Mind you, their delivery times are looooooooong: I should get it by Bonfire Night at the latest!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now