Talk

Advanced search

Quilted jackets - what do you think? Barbour maybe?

(6 Posts)
mumblechum1 Sun 23-Oct-11 21:00:28

I need a new coat/jacket for weekends, we tend to go for a lot of long walks in the country. Avoid towns and cities as much as possible so don't need to look smart at weekends. I Have a waterproof coat (Berghaus) but don't really like wearing it so keep it in the knapsack for proper rain.

Am thinking maybe a fitted, quilted jacket, barbour do one in purple with a black cord collar. Does anyone know if they're warm, and what their sizing's like? Sometimes I'm a 12, somethietimes a 14 on top.

I don't want a fat, puffa type jacket.

Thanks in advance.

clippityclop Sun 23-Oct-11 21:16:17

I've got a navy quilted Barbour with a hood and belt and it's smart, lovely and warm in the weather so far this Autumn, does for work and is comfy enough for weekends too. I'm 5' 1" and size 8-10 and find the size 10 just right, fitted style yet roomy enough to get a couple of layers underneath. I look like a pouffe in those big horizontally quilted things, and can't be doing with the lurid colours of a lot of happy hiker type coats. Plan to investigate if Barbour do a heavier weight, or perhaps down filled coat for snowy weather.

Rexy Sun 23-Oct-11 21:31:16

Any links guys pls as v interested ?

MrsVoltar Sun 23-Oct-11 21:56:20

I've got a quilted Barbour type jacket & its cosy & light but not hugely warm. Got a wax jacket recently and much much warmer, feels like a barrier when in cold wind grin

Both similar 'country' fashion styles.

Joules do nice quilted ones that are cheaper than Barbour, also worth going to any 'horsey/outdoors' shops to see for less showy brands, eg Jack Murphy if you not so bothered about label.

Lots of the high street stores are doing their versions at the moment but if you want it for walking (& looking stylish) I'd go for the 'country' brands instead.

mumblechum1 Sun 23-Oct-11 21:57:33

http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/on/demandware.store/Sites-hof-Site/default/Search-Show?q=jacket&cm_mmc=google-_-Barbour-_-Barbour%20-%20Fashion%20-%20U%20-%20Jackets-_-+barbour%20+jacket&gclid=CN_Ko9bY_6sCFQUNfAodbXOWnw

Thanks Clipppity, sounds like the 14 would be best.

MrsVoltar Sun 23-Oct-11 21:57:42

OP, I'm a 14/16 and definitely need a 16 in Barbour.
Would advise trying on in a shop then shopping around online.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now