Talk

Advanced search

Uggs - would you??

(29 Posts)
Marshy Sun 23-Oct-11 18:34:30

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I'm writing my christmas pressie list and thinking of asking my DH for Uggs - the basic kindof mid-length ones in grey. What's the verdict? If not, what else could i get him to spend £190 (or whatever it is) on?
We don't usually splash out on each other like this, but are spoiling each other this year.

usualsuspect Sun 23-Oct-11 18:35:37

If you like them then I don't see a problem with asking for them

TheMonster Sun 23-Oct-11 18:38:04

I was given a pair and I wore them once. I'm in my mid-30s and felt ridiculous wearing them.

twinklytroll Sun 23-Oct-11 18:45:58

I don't think I would. If you like them I don't see the problem. I don't understand why he has to spend a set amount of money.

mumblejumble Sun 23-Oct-11 18:46:31

I would go for Celtic Sheepskin boots, am hankering after a pair....

toddlerama Sun 23-Oct-11 18:47:53

Have a look at some other brands as well. There are better ones out there for slightly less. Sheepskin boots are so toasty, I will wear them forever. Nothing compares.

PrimaBallerina Sun 23-Oct-11 18:53:49

You can get them for £145 from thehut. com (genuine ones).

I'm a fan so I'd say do it.

Marshy Sun 23-Oct-11 18:57:07

Hi twinkly,
No set amount really, just a ball park figure, and definately no more than that. I guess im just canvassing opinion on Uggs - can't make up my mind about them.
Toddlerama - do you have any names i could look for?

Marshy Sun 23-Oct-11 18:58:01

Useful info PrimaB - thanks

herbietea Sun 23-Oct-11 18:58:41

Message withdrawn

Wilts Sun 23-Oct-11 19:01:41

I love my Uggs, however, I am not replacing them this year. They cost about £200 last Christmas and look knackered now.
For that sort of money I would expect them to look much better than they do now. I have looked after them properly but I can't wear them to work now as they are too scruffy.

I have just bought some Skechers, and while they are not as comfy as my Uggs, at least I can justify replacing them each year.

dexter73 Sun 23-Oct-11 19:05:03

You can get a pair of Bearpaw boots for much less, and use code AUTUMN20 for an extra 20% off.

Sillyoldelf Sun 23-Oct-11 19:07:24

No I wouldn't - they are very very bad for your back . I say this as a health care professional. They are also very un - stylish .

yellowraincoat Sun 23-Oct-11 19:11:37

They are SO ugly it's almost unreal. I can't believe people are still wearing them. Every time I see them, I want to throw them at the person's head.

Especially when they start walking on the sides of them. Just awful.

Invest in a nice pair of brogues instead.

dexter73 Sun 23-Oct-11 19:15:01

I think that the trouble with asking about uggs is that people either like them or hate them, so for every 'buy them' you will get a 'no they are hideous'. If you like them and want them for Christmas then get a pair and don't worry about what we think!

benandhollyandgaston Sun 23-Oct-11 19:30:22

I don't really like furry uggs but I like the cardi style ones - which ones did you havwe in mind?

Marshy Sun 23-Oct-11 19:45:12

Was thinking of the suede kind rather than the knitted/button ones, but still undecided whether to get them at all. I get a bad back sometimes, so perhaps a no-no
I think they are a bit like marmite - love 'em or hate 'em.

Need to maybe think what else i might like for similar money - any ideas??

OhCobblers Sun 23-Oct-11 20:46:14

I have a pair but i didn't pay anywhere near full price for them and if i bought a pair now i'd like the tall button style ones. however i love the Celtic Sheepskin website too (recommended it on another thread) and i'd definitely spend the money there rather than Uggs now.

ChunkyMonkeyMother Sun 23-Oct-11 20:55:19

I was always very anti- uggs as I always thought they were a massive waste of money, my cousin used to get them every christmas before they were ever as popular as they are now and loved them, I used to snubb her for spending ridiculous amounts on them.

Well I would eat my hat now! I tried the cheapo ones and liked them but they did that thing were they make you walk on the sides of your feet (I had about 6 pairs of £10-£30 pairs) Then last Christmas my mother in law bought me a pair of the grey cardi ones - I flippin love them! They have lasted very well and make my feet feel very comfy in them, with or without socks!

I would say that you should get yourself to an outlet store (like a Mcarthur Glen etc) and get them cheaper - I wouldn't pay full price for something I could get cheaper! They have helped my feet no end, I walk better and no longer get achey feet even after a full day on them, I usually wear them with a long top and leggins/jeggins but they go just as well with a nice dress - They really are brilliant

smartyparts Sun 23-Oct-11 21:01:05

I think they look OK if your legs are slim, shockingly unflattering otherwise.

Also, a disaster for the over-pronator!

meltedchocolate Sun 23-Oct-11 22:10:39

Agree with above statement. I would never buy them and I am young and slim!! They are ugly, sorry.

chipstick10 Mon 24-Oct-11 08:32:18

I have three pairs (i do get a good discount and dont pay anywhere need full price) but that aside i love them. I actually think they look really nice. They are warm and toasty.

DamselInDisarray Mon 24-Oct-11 09:02:42

There are some really nice styles of ugg boots. I really don't like the ones that look like workman's boots (which is what I always think of when people say uggs), but there are some nice biker books in leather. For example, these. They're astoundingly expensive though.

Pascha Mon 24-Oct-11 09:06:11

I quite like the Kensington biker ones. But I wouldn't pay £250 for them. Not really keen on the others.

Pascha Mon 24-Oct-11 09:07:31

I did look long and hard at them in the local boot shop though. They are pretty and I haven't found a boot I like instead so...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now