Talk

Advanced search

Style in a Hot Climate ?

(3 Posts)
batsforlashes Sun 23-Oct-11 11:40:36

So we have recently moved to Sydney and summer has arrived. I feel a bit of a fish out of water as none of my clothes seem "right" -not just that it is now too hot for jeans and boots but I don't feel like I have the the local style sussed out.

I am really looking for tips on how to be effortlessly stylish (The Holy Grail) in 30 degrees heat ? Any words of wisdom ??

Whizkidwithacrazystreak Sun 23-Oct-11 14:33:01

Sydney, my hometown. Lucky you! I find that Sydneysiders dress up more than the UK counterparts. Get some lovely summer dresses and sandals. Look for the local designers such as Natasha, kaftans from Camilla which are heavenly www.camilla.com.au

It can still be casual and comfortable for those wonderful summer beach days - shorts, swimming costume and that's it with a pair of flip flops!

Enjoy

LesserOfTwoWeevils Sun 23-Oct-11 14:43:49

I live in the tropics, so I know it's not all sarongs on the beach as people from colder countries seem to imagine.
You can still wear your jeans if the heat doesn't bother you too much, and you can never go wrong with a white T-shirt.
Wear smart or dressy sandals (stay away from the flipflops) and tunics or little cotton tops and shirts, and layer with little linen or cotton jackets if you are moving from outside to airconditioned malls and offices.
Long city shorts or bermudas will work too and can be dressed up with smart heeled sandals.
Elegantly casual rather than formal is the way to go even for office wear, eg a blazer or shaped cardi over a sleeveless dress.
Look for natural fabrics, but don't make the mistake of going for baggy or slouchy—crumpled shapeless linen is not a good or popular look in a hot climate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now