Talk

Advanced search

Why can I NOT get rid of this red? Tatty etc help please?

(17 Posts)
prolificwillybreeder Sun 23-Oct-11 11:01:01

I had a semi on virgin hair as it were it was medium natural brown- nice and easy.
It had a red tinge. Fine. I lived with it for 12 weeks. Well over my 60 washes.
Last night- Garnier almond permanent, matched the the colour on the side of my packet matched it to my current hair colour and it looked nice and NOT red.

So I dyed it and there is now more an orangey rusty hint.
It's also too dark.

I want a very light brown verging on blonde but not ashy non red hair.

How do I rectify the situation?
Thank you.

BerryLellow Sun 23-Oct-11 11:07:59

Go to a salon. It will be less painful all round tbh. My hair holds a red tint really well too, and it needs taking out by a professional.

prolificwillybreeder Sun 23-Oct-11 11:58:23

Oh l was afraid you would say that!
Unfortunately that's out of my budget currently.
Am I really stuck with it? It's actually not half as bad as I thought.

How soon can you dye over dye? I just want it lighter with no orange or red. Why is this so hard?

BerryLellow Sun 23-Oct-11 17:37:09

I just think you might end up spending ££ anyway, but if you go to a salon and explain what you want and that it needs to be the cheapest option, they might be able to help? Or another route might be to go to a college and have the students sort it out (overseen by the experienced tutor). That should cost very little.

It's hard because you need to strip the colour back really.

Creamcake1 Sun 23-Oct-11 21:44:31

Think you might need a colour with Golden in the name

prolificwillybreeder Sun 23-Oct-11 22:15:19

That's an idea, I will look into this. Thank you for your reply

HumptyDumpty1 Sun 23-Oct-11 22:35:56

I known it sounds stupid but I'm sure you need green or blue to counter act the red. (my friend works at SAKs and this is what she mentioned to me once but I can't remember which one!)

prolificwillybreeder Sun 23-Oct-11 22:41:11

I thought ash?

HumptyDumpty1 Sun 23-Oct-11 22:49:20

Isn't ash a dark blonde? That would just make it gingery :S

Creamcake1 Sun 23-Oct-11 22:51:03

I think if you put an ash on red it could go green!

TeamEdward Sun 23-Oct-11 22:54:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sprinkles77 Sun 23-Oct-11 23:19:18

Buy colourB4 and a box of temporary (8 wash) colour in dark ash blonde. Follow instructions on the colourB4 very very carefully. Your hair will be a bit orangey especially at the roots. Then use the temporary colour straight away. Your hair will still be a bit orange, but nowhere as bad. Then wait 1 week. Then use a semi or perm colour in a lighter shade that has "ash" in the title. Ash just means cool with no red tones. like this. Ash will tone down red. There is also a shade by nice n easy called medium ash brown. It comes out very dark, so I would try the lighter shade first.

prolificwillybreeder Mon 24-Oct-11 07:49:44

Wow sprinkles that sounds complicated!
Can I not just wait a couple of weeks then dye it ash?

LukeWarmMomma Mon 24-Oct-11 09:06:58

I had the same problem and starting using Nice and Easy Med Ash Brown this does (honestly !!) counteract the red/gingery tones. I must admit I was dubious, as I always used golden brown colours and that was the look I was trying to achieve, but the "Ash" colourway does work for me and still gives me a golden brown look.

ENormaSnob Mon 24-Oct-11 09:20:50

I'm no tatty but I think the b4 colour may be the best way.

I used an ash brown over red and it was ok for a few weeks and now it's reddish again.

moragbellingham Mon 24-Oct-11 15:00:06

What about this stuff? I've just read on another thread that it can remove black colour so might be good enough for red. Worth giving them a ring and seeing if it would work.

prolificwillybreeder Mon 24-Oct-11 15:23:52

I think I'll have to do something. Or I leave it couple of months then dye over it?

The colour remover I may have to do but orange! Argh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now