Talk

Advanced search

Bicester shopping village

(22 Posts)
ihatethecold Sat 22-Oct-11 12:47:55

Is it worth the trip? Live about 1.5 hours away and have a child free day.
Am thinking about going!

HazeltheMcWitch Sat 22-Oct-11 12:49:18

Thing is, it's quite hit and miss - you could get LOADS, or everything would be shit and you and up with nothing!

What sort of stuff are you looking/hoping for?

IwanttobeShirleyValentine Sat 22-Oct-11 12:54:21

Its crap tbh! If you generally go for the its costs shed loads so must look good line of thought you will love it.
Its full of over priced tat by designers most people have never even heard of!
You may find the odd nice thing but I dont think its all that fab imo. I used to live close by and rarely went and now I live a couple of hours away I certainly would NEVER bother.
Its good for a giggle at ridiculously dressed people who do follow the mantra - its costs shed loads so must look good. Blummin hilarious in fact!!

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 22-Oct-11 12:55:57

Go early, and I mean EARLY. It gets packed as loads of tourists go for tax free shopping.

It is hit and miss. We like the ralph lauren polo shop but all the shops lack enough changing rooms so you always end up queing to try stuff on. The cafes are always packed but theres a pub nearby and a tescos cafe next door!.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

bigTillyMint Sat 22-Oct-11 13:03:43

Ohsad I was wondering about a trip there too.

OK, is there anything else you could do there with a family of teen/pre-teens - any pubs to eat out nearby?

AmberNectarine Sat 22-Oct-11 13:38:32

I went this week and got a few bits. White Company great for towels and sheets, some bargains to be had there. It all depends on the type of shopper you are, really. If you like higher end stuff then I expect you will enjoy it. If you are more of the primark school of thought then you probably won't think it excellent value.

The Mulberry shop is good, discounts c. 30-50% Anya H, Prada, D&G and Jimmy Choo also had some good discounts. There is also French Connection, Reiss, Hobbs, LKB etc for high st stuff.

AmberNectarine Sat 22-Oct-11 13:39:11

Oh and for teens there is a Jack Wills outlet which I imagine would be popular...

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 22-Oct-11 13:41:40

There is a pub on the approach to it, you cant miss it. Plus your not far from Oxford.

ihatethecold Sat 22-Oct-11 14:29:43

Im not really a high spender!
Usually shop at zara, debenhams, fat face.
But i was thinking about getting my dh some nice work shirts and poss a new suit!
He got the last one from freeport near braintree, which is another outlet village.

Bearcat Sat 22-Oct-11 15:01:08

DH, DS (20) and I went for first time in September.
We left DS to do his own thing and met up with him after about 2 hours & had lunch in Carluccio's. DS spent about £300 I think and I think he thought he had got some good deals.
DH and I bought a pair of shoes each in Clarks, some nice towels from White Company and a utensils pot and some mugs from the Le Crueset shop.
It was an OK day out. We were there on a Tuesday and the car park was pretty busy and we were lucky to get a space quite quickly. Heaven knows what its like on a weekend. Don't think I would go back to be honest, but it was always something I had fancied doing for a while.
It probably took us just over an hour to get there

AmberNectarine Sat 22-Oct-11 21:06:02

Yep, my DH picked up some work shirts there, worked out cheaper than M&S! TBH it's worth it just for the people watching.

NewChoos Sat 22-Oct-11 21:40:21

It is worth a visit imo.
We live fairly near, and I have had good buys from The White Company, Wedgewood, L'Occitane, Clarks, LKBennett (although this is closed at the mo), Jimmy Choo and Jigsaw. Their are lovely bags in Furla and Mulberry from a recent visit. There are lots of lovely things as well as the obvious tail end of the sale buys. I agree, it can be hit and miss though.
I noticed there is going to be a Coach soon and am eagerly awaiting to view the good on offer smile

NewChoos Sat 22-Oct-11 21:44:24

There is a garden centre 5 mins away with a cafe. Also a Laura Ashley and a few other shops.

vanillagorilla Sat 22-Oct-11 21:52:17

karen Millen is awesome, I recently got a coat from there with 40% off which is still in the shops! Assistant told me they are about 4 weeks behind the actual stores stock wise! Ralph lauren good too, also Coast if you have something coming up where you would need a Coast-ish outfit, Mr gorilla and I usually go couple of times a year, nice day out for us, nice places for lunch. Just over an hour away for us. Also got Diesel and UGG shop for the teens

HazeltheMcWitch Sat 22-Oct-11 21:56:10

"There is a garden centre 5 mins away with a cafe. Also a Laura Ashley and a few other shops."

A LAKELAND!!! That is one of the few other shops.

NewChoos Sat 22-Oct-11 21:59:09

There are nice things there, in the centre they sell Emma Bridgwater/Home baked goodies/old fashioned sweets and really lovely flowers too.

NewChoos Sat 22-Oct-11 22:00:00

I don't mind a quick view of storage in Lakeland either!

jenny60 Sat 22-Oct-11 22:05:06

HELL ON EARTH at the weekends, it really is. Car park and cafes are full, too many people, loos in a terrible state, not a good shopping experience. Weekdays out of term are much better. I have had fantastic bargains there but have also come away with nothing, not even a nice lunch as the Carlucio's line goes round the corner.

ihatethecold Sun 23-Oct-11 09:26:20

really that bad jenny?
its half term next week and i prob wont arrive until 13.00!
should i get some lunch before arriving?

jenny60 Sun 23-Oct-11 14:52:53

In my experience, it really is and it's got worse over the last couple of years. Weekdays are better, even in half term I think, but be prepared to jostle your way through the crowds. I would get lunch before you get there and maybe have a coffee later if you can. I have bought stuff there from Jigsaw, Hobbs, L K Bennett, Max Mara, DKNY, White Company for towels and linen (clothes section there tiny alas) and Calvin Klein underwear among others in the past. Cath Kidston is pretty well stocked too, but you do have to like that sort of thing. I never buy from the really designer places because most of it is really (to me) trashy branded stuff. To be fair, CK and DKNY have a lot of that too, but less than say Gucci. DKNY is worth looking at because some lovely things slip in: I got a fantastic vest there last year for £10 which is such good quality. Max Mara is still expensive but always well organised and has some beautiful things that last a life time.

It is very easy to come home empty handed because it is very hit and miss but better than coming home with bags full of crap IMHO.

azazello Sun 23-Oct-11 15:54:07

We go to Bicester pretty regularly. Its okay, but depends on the day and the shops. Zara is generally better and it is frustrating if you/re looking for something in particular. At weekends though the traffic queues can stretch back to the M40 - 3 or so miles away. I prefer the garden centre now tbhblush.

dlady Sun 23-Oct-11 16:33:01

I agree with IwanttobeShirleyValentine, we went one rainy saturday whilst on a camping holiday nearby. Unless you're into expensive designer gear (I am definately not), I wouldn't bother going. Unfortunately we're not from the area so don't know of any other outlets nearby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now