Talk

Advanced search

Help me PLEASE, wedding today.

(26 Posts)

Well tonight, evening do.

May I first point out that I am a twat and do not need anyone to point out my twattery.

I hate any kind of socalizing, am crap at 'having a good time' in any kind of party way, I don't do it and avoid it like the plague. For some unknown reason, months ago I accepted a wedding invitation from someone I don't know that well, but do really like.

Right so it's an evening do, tonight, I think in my head I was planning to cry off, but I just can't bring myself to do it, she has been so lovely, invited the kids, sent them their own little invites, it's a seated buffet, so there would be four empty places, can't not go.

I have nothing to wear, the invites says 'cocktail' <falls on floor laughing> when I accepted I did point out to her that I don't really have anything along those lines and she said 'not to worry, it won't be posh, wear whatever you want, we would just love you to come'.

Right so I have

A pink and orange flower print maxi dress, which does really flatter me, but nothing to wear over it, except a long <whispers> waterfall cardi in a very light linen cotton mix, the same pink as the dress.

or

Super long super wide black trousers with an embriodered cream pattern, that I made myself for a previous friends wedding.

I could wear these with a twist front black top, which is a smidge too small or a glam jersey short sleeved top from boden which is bitter chocolate in colour.

I have nothing to wear on my feet, bar flip flops or furry merrell boots.

I can spend maybe £15 to make something from above work.

Please don't suggest I just stick something new on a credit card it is not an option.

If it matters I am 5.10 12-14 (neared the 14 atm) blonde.

Thank you for reading and please help.

MrsMilton Sat 22-Oct-11 12:23:26

Wear your maxi dress and waterfall cardi and spend the £15 on some ballet flats - any supermarket or TX Maxx if there's one nears you will have them. You're lucky it's a sunny day (well, it is here anwyay) so you can still get away with the summery dress.

Enjoy it, you might like it.

trixymalixy Sat 22-Oct-11 12:23:31

Do you have no shoes with a slight heel? The black trousers and top with your hair up and a heel would be glam enough.

sassyTHEFIRST Sat 22-Oct-11 12:24:22

New Look or Peacocks or maybe tesco will kit you out with a pair of heeled sandals which would be fine with either outfit you've mentioned. Don't wear the top that is too small - you'll be self concious.

trixymalixy Sat 22-Oct-11 12:25:00

I think you do need some shoes. Is there a primark near or a supermarket?

sassyTHEFIRST Sat 22-Oct-11 12:26:09

something like this?

MrsMilton ballet flats good idea, what colour? Do they need to match the dress?

And no nothing, with a heel, feel too tall, I am not joking when I say I only have Havananias and Merrells.

sassyTHEFIRST Sat 22-Oct-11 12:28:21

several in sale here

Christ no sassy, I would walk like a man in drag, I have literally never put a heel on my foot, I fear feeling ultra self conscious at a wedding is not the time to start grin

I do have Primark and all major supermarkets within very easy reach.

sassyTHEFIRST Sat 22-Oct-11 12:31:12

Ballet flats then - go nude. Got some leather ones in Accessorise couple of weeks ago for £20 or New Look have loads of pairs around the £15 mark.

Hadn't thought of nude, will that definately work with such a bright dress?

pengymum Sat 22-Oct-11 12:32:17

also pop into the local charity shops - it may be your lucky day!

trixymalixy Sat 22-Oct-11 12:33:08

Primark have millions of ballet flats. I would go there first.

I would maybe buy something quite neutral rather than matching to the dress as you would never wear them again probably. It's hard to say what colour without seeing the dress

Oh they still have it in clearance, it's this dress in the pink.

trixymalixy Sat 22-Oct-11 12:37:57

Ooh, that'll definitely look glam enough. I wouldn't get shoes to match, but something nude or brown.

MeMySonAndI Sat 22-Oct-11 12:38:30

Ok being size 12-14, 5.10, with that dress, I don't think you have nothing to worry about...

think you can easily put sandals and pretend you were not expecting a cold day today (at the end of the day, it was summer a couple of weeks ago) I suppose the reception is indoors so once your are there, it doesn't matter.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sat 22-Oct-11 12:39:54

The dress is lovely. You will look lovely, hope you have a great time.

Ballet flats will go really nicely. I think a neutral colour would work really well.

Really?

<gives huge sigh of relief>

Yes, reception is all indoors at a hotel so should be warm.

Should I wear the cardi or just shiver on the way in?

sassyTHEFIRST Sat 22-Oct-11 12:42:35

www.newlook.com/shop/womens/shoes/leather-tassel-ballet-pump_227371618
I think they would work. You'll be fine. Go and have a ball!

trixymalixy Sat 22-Oct-11 12:49:21

Wear the cardi, it sounds fine. Take it off when you get in.

That's a gorgeous dress - take the cardi - you'll look fantastic smile

Thank you so much everyone, have gone from wardrobe panic to feeling much calmer.

Off to shop for ballet flats.

petitdonkey Sat 22-Oct-11 13:13:20

Just seen this - I see you are off to search but I would agree that ballet flats would be perfect, maybe gold or silver?? Your dress is lovely and it's so nice to wear colour to a wedding. Def take the cardie - I like them and think that I'm fairly stylish!!

So lovely that it means so much to your friend to have you there - I hope you have a brilliant time, let us all know tomorrow!

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sat 22-Oct-11 15:50:16

Wear the cardigan, being cold is very miserable.

Hope you got some shoessmile

Secondtimelucky Sat 22-Oct-11 17:38:14

This is way too late to be useful, but just wanted to say that I think that dress will look just right. Hotels are generally very warm, and a pair of ballet flats will finish it off, and come in handy more generally smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now