Talk

Advanced search

Getting married in December - size 10 dress - size 9 shoes - help!

(23 Posts)
chillipickle Fri 21-Oct-11 16:00:24

As the title says really. I am 5' 8" and a fairly standard size 10, but I almost never wear skirts or dresses because I don't like having my size 9 feet on show.

It's going to be a very low-key wedding - register office in the morning followed by lunch, and no evening do. So ideally I would rather wear something that I can wear again. Not much point in getting into full bridal regalia for the morning, even if it does conceal my feet.

I was thinking of perhaps a nice woolly jacket which I can dress up with flowery bits for getting married but would be equally wearable with jeans later on. Kind of like this

But what on earth to put underneath? I am not fond of wearing heels, but realise that it may be a necessary evil. And given that it will be December, I think closed toes and warm tights are going to be needed.

I'm just rubbish at this dressing up thing really. Any help would be very much appreciated.

TethHearseEnd Fri 21-Oct-11 16:07:47

Kate Winslet has size 9 feet, you know (they may even be a 10).

<helpful>

Anyway, congratulations smile

What length dress would you like?

Would you like matching dress and jacket?

How about something like this with matching jacket?

TethHearseEnd Fri 21-Oct-11 18:15:00

Or a gold jacket would look great.

Or did you want ivory?

Or full length?

Iggly Fri 21-Oct-11 18:59:36

are you wearing a dress or trousers?

chillipickle Fri 21-Oct-11 20:27:43

Iggly, I'm really much more comfortable in trousers, but it is a wedding so I feel I ought to raise my game just a little bit. But really open to any suggestions.

TethHearse, I like the shape of the pink dress (and it's a bargain in the sale!), though it's not really my colour (more of a blue/teal/green person). As to length, I think swishing around in a full-length dress is going to be a bit much for a low-key morning/lunch do. So I suppose around knee length or just above or below.

I have a feeling I'm going to have to start with shoes (for which choice will be limited), and work upwards.

I read on another thread that matching tights to shoes has the effect of lengthening legs. I wonder if it would also minimise feet? Is there any chance I could get away with flat shoes? I'm thinking of opaque tights and ballet pumps.

Tillyscoutsmum Fri 21-Oct-11 20:42:40

Congratulations smile

The dress Tethers linked to also comes in blue (and gold) here

Personally, I'm not sure ballet flats would work with that dress. Could you go for a low wedge ?

Tillyscoutsmum Fri 21-Oct-11 20:48:42

or, if you like trousers and are most comfortable in them - how about a jumpsuit ? something like this maybe ? Would look fine with ballet flats as well

TethHearseEnd Fri 21-Oct-11 21:02:33

Thanks for linking to the blue dress, Tilly wink

I wouldn't do ballet flats either. Depending on the dress, I would go for a kitten heel. With the blue dress, something like this. I would wear nude tights or nude fishnets rather than opaques.

TethHearseEnd Fri 21-Oct-11 21:03:57

Nude kitten heels would be good- they go up to an 11, although none in stock.

chillipickle Fri 21-Oct-11 22:05:45

Ooh, actually like those kitten heels! And I didn't know Debenhams stocked size 9s, so am having a look at their other styles.

The trouble with actually shopping for size 9s is that they are very often not in stock but have to be ordered online, so it can take days just to try a few pairs on, and a logistical operation to compare many shoes from different shops. If only I was a teeny size 7 and could shop for shoes on the high street!

I agree it would have to be heels (or at least not flats) with Tethers dress. I also quite like the look of this dress which someone linked to on another thread. Though not sure what to wear with it - bit chilly for bare arms I think.

TethHearseEnd Fri 21-Oct-11 22:29:38

You could wear a fur shrug or a bolero which you could have dyed to the same colour as the dress.

TethHearseEnd Fri 21-Oct-11 22:31:43

Here's some online shoe retailers

And some shops in London

NhameCage Fri 21-Oct-11 22:46:40

Ballet flats make your feet look bigger imo.

I just found this I love it - you may not of course.

It terms of buying things you can use again, invest in some lovely shoes, a nice clutch bag and a good piece of jewelery I reckon.

chillipickle Sat 22-Oct-11 00:00:49

Tethers, I think you may have saved my sanity. Your links inform me that Chiltern Street in London has about 3 or 4 shops selling larger shoes, and it's only a short detour from my journey to work. I can't think why I didn't know this already. (Probably because I gave up on the whole idea of shoe shopping about 15 years ago.)

Anyway, I'll definitely wander down there next week. I do believe if I can find a lovely pair of shoes then all will be fine.

Nhame, I like your suggestion of investing in a good piece of jewellery. I don't have an engagement ring, so have suggested to OH that some other item would be nice. Will work on that, I think!

blondassassin Sat 22-Oct-11 07:40:22

Not much help with shoes I'm afraid but wanted to say to OP that I'm 5'8" size 10 and have the Damsel dress in a mauvey colourway from a couple of years ago - it is truly fab. I got mine full price from John Lewis online and wasn't all that enamoured with it when it arrived, but when I tried it on, wow! I've had so many compliments every time I've worn it. Definitely worth a try in the blue at that price I reckon.

chillipickle Sat 22-Oct-11 16:50:39

Agh! So I decided on blondassassin's recommendation to give the blue dress a try, but sadly it's out of stock in all colours in size 10. However, looking further down the sale items, I noticed this one. It doesn't have the hourglass shape of the other one, and kind of difficult to tell the length as it's not pictured on a model, but I do like green and I like the general style, so might be worth a try?

Alternatively, the replacement for the blue/pink one seems to be this. Grey though. Hmm.

TethHearseEnd Sun 23-Oct-11 10:52:00

Oh dear sad

No, you can't wear grey to your own wedding.

I can't get your link to the other dress to work?

chillipickle Sun 23-Oct-11 13:59:03

Hmm, I see what you mean about the link. Here it is in full:
http://www.damselinadress.co.uk/shop/ss11-sale/dresses/catherine-wheels-dress-sage.aspx

It's a dress called Catherine Wheels in sage green.

TethHearseEnd Sun 23-Oct-11 14:04:22

Oooh, yes, with sage shrug?

MaggieMcS Sun 23-Oct-11 14:12:04

I have just been looking at this teal dress - 1920s style maxi dress very striking but relaxed fit

www.rockmyvintage.co.uk/nancy-dee-evelyn-dress.htm

With pearls and a white sparkly bolero jacket which would look fab with jeans afterwards!

www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_087010172797_-1

you could wear with flats like these - Sale too!:

www.kurtgeiger.com/women/shoes.html?category=categoryROOT%2FWomen%2FShoes|Flats&limit=all

Congrats and hope you have a wonderful day!

Mrsrobertduvall Sun 23-Oct-11 14:26:58

Chilli...I am going to Chiltern street tomorrow to buy shoes...Crispins is lovely but £ ...have a look on their website. Have my eye on a few pairs of boots in there! Magnus is quite frumpy, but you never know. Totally large used to be called Elephant Feet I think, has some nice things!
Katie Long online do good shoes in larger sizes
Good luck!

Mrsrobertduvall Mon 24-Oct-11 16:09:42

Back from CHiltern St with nothing.
The shoes I loved in Crispins were out of stock in my size sad
LTS the usual overpriced nasty rubbish....such ignorant staff too.

chillipickle Mon 24-Oct-11 22:33:29

Oh dear, sympathies! I've had a browse online and some of Crispins shoes do look fab - including a few at the less pricey end - so I am hoping they will have them in my size. Or failing that, fingers crossed that somewhere on Chiltern St will have just one pair of suitable shoes. Are they generally able to order them in, if not in stock?

Sage green dress is now ordered (but big thanks to everyone for your suggestions, and of course I will keep them in mind in case this dress doesn't work out).

Tethers, the matching sage green shrug is out of stock, as is the cream one, but I e-mailed in case they might have any returns or be able to get hold of one for me, and they said they will be getting some more of the cream one between now and December.

Actually I think an ivory/cream top might look more, er, bridal than all green.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now