Talk

Advanced search

Do you ever stop yourself buying something you like because you're 'too old' for it?

(20 Posts)
Earlybird Thu 20-Oct-11 16:13:26

Was shopping with a friend the other day, and we saw some chunky black motorcycle boots with a silver buckle on the side. I thought they looked great, and as I need some new winter boots, asked my friend what she thought.

She looked at the boots and at me, and said 'I think they're great for teenagers or people in their 20's. But they're far too young for you - you need something more classic'.

Got me thinking - do you ever stop yourself trying on/buying something you like because you're not so young anymore?

<EB recalls, with a shiver, the 50-something who skipped into the supermarket yesterday in silver sequin Ugg boots>
www.uggaustralia.com/womens-classic-short-sparkles-sequin-boots/3161,default,pd.html?source=gg

snowmummy Thu 20-Oct-11 16:19:09

The biker boots sound fine to me and I'd probably wear them but I wouldn't buy a really short skirt or dress or a top that's too skimpy. So, yes I probably do stop myself buying stuff that's too 'young' for me.

Bunbaker Thu 20-Oct-11 16:28:25

Yes, more and more these days sad

I saw some lovely kilt skirts on the Matalan website, but when I got there they were far too short. I have good legs, but at nearly 53 would look ridiculous and "trying too hard" in such short skirts, even with opaque tights.

I am not ready to start wearing "old lady" clothes just yet.

dexter73 Thu 20-Oct-11 16:33:07

Yes - especially t-shirts with pictures like Snoopy on! I have a Bananaman t-shirt but I only ever wear it in bed.

Earlybird Thu 20-Oct-11 19:00:49

I was expecting snarky comments about the Ugg boots in the link.....

dexter73 Thu 20-Oct-11 19:09:48

I actually love those Ugg boots you are talking about (not the sequin ones hmm!!). I saw them the other week and thought they were lovely but a bit pricy for me!

LesserOfTwoWeevils Thu 20-Oct-11 19:11:01

All the time! Just posted asking for help in finding a knee-length LBD after looking at hundreds which were a foot too short. I am always seeing great dresses which barely reach the model's thighs and wishing I'd seen them 20 years ago. sad

talkingnonsense Thu 20-Oct-11 19:15:25

Yes - am 40 and was wearing a mid thigh skirt the other day, an had qualms- wouldn't have thought about the length a few years ago!

MistyMountainHop Thu 20-Oct-11 19:18:43

i LOVE those sparkly uggs blush

am only 31.... <ponders if too old even at 31>

dexter73 Thu 20-Oct-11 19:29:37

You are a mere baby Misty but sparkly Uggs really shouldn't be seen on anyone over the age of 10!

LesserOfTwoWeevils Thu 20-Oct-11 19:32:14

The Uggs are unspeakable.

Tenebrist Thu 20-Oct-11 19:37:04

Don't say that - I bought myself a pair of purple Doc Martens yesterday at the ripe old age of 41. Admittedly they were quite dark purple. And there were fluorescent pink ones in the shop so I felt relatively restrained.

StopRainingPlease Thu 20-Oct-11 20:28:40

I certainly see things I like but are too young for me. Then I try to persuade my DD's they'd like them, but it's like music I think, they just have different taste from me. They're wrong and I'm right of course.

countessbabycham Thu 20-Oct-11 20:32:29

Well I think chunky black buckled biker boots are just fine for people in their 40's.

Gives Earlybirds friend The Look.angry

wtfwtf Thu 20-Oct-11 20:42:26

Yep, although I'm coming back round to some things. My legs are toned and I'm thinking I could possibly get away with short skirts and thick tights, I wouldn't have done 5 years ago at 29 though hmm

It's bloody hard to know what to wear sometimes.

echt Fri 21-Oct-11 08:20:18

OP - bear in mind your friend said it you. Her perceptions, her ishoos. Having said this, I shop alone, and never ask anyone what they think of what I'm wearing.

Funny, as soon as I saw this thread, I knew it would be about biker boots.

I've worn mine for 3 years now. Opaque tights/short-ish skirt. Or long dresses, or tight stretchy trousers. I'm 57 now, and may qualify for the mad lady label, but you what? I don't give a stuff.

Go for it.

However, I would never wear one of those one shoulder tops/dresses. Hooker stylee. Looks shite on everyone.

echt Fri 21-Oct-11 08:21:42

That should be "you know what?" The blanc cassis has kicked in. Hic. grin

Pagwatch Fri 21-Oct-11 08:31:55

Hmm, sometimes. But usually after trying them on.

But then a lot of styles that are considered young would not be something I like. I don't tend to like easily identifiable clothes. I hate converse, Jack wills, uggs, big brand logos, branded t-shirts- anything teenagers wear to declare that they belong to the cool kids club.

It all just seems a bit kind of clingy to me.

But, if someone looks good in that stuff then that is fine. People look good in the stuff they like and feeling happy in what you wear is important.

Pagwatch Fri 21-Oct-11 08:32:44

I should have added the outfits that have walked straight out of the Boden catalogue or white stuffs window.

OneHandFlapping Fri 21-Oct-11 10:44:31

I wouldn't wear anything too frilly and flowery, as it seems to emphasize how girlish I no longer look. I also steer clear of stuff that's too short, or shows too much no longer taut and glowy skin.

Otherwise, I wear what I like, probably dress too young for mid-fifties, and get really cross at 20 somethings sneering about mutton dressed as lamb. I mean what's the alternative? Boot-cut jeans and mum boots?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now