Talk

Advanced search

Post baby saggy, baggy tummy - How do I get rid of it??????

(19 Posts)
chipping Thu 20-Oct-11 09:49:23

After 4DC's my tummy looks like a deflated balloon.

I know there is poetry about how wonderful post baby bellies are etc, but this saggy, wrinkly old lady tummy has got to go.

Any diet, exercise, surgery, beauty treatment, creams etc etc advice would be much appreciated.

TIA

Angel786 Thu 20-Oct-11 09:51:55

Exercises - crunches and the plank are v good.

Not sure which creams but massaging daily should hopefully help too. How long since dc4?

sproooOOoogger Thu 20-Oct-11 09:52:51

Pilates, MBT trainers (they're good at making you keep your abs active whilst standing/walking), and more pilates. You need to strengthen your core muscles, and then once they're back on track you can assess and work out if you need a bit of watching what you eat/additional ab work.

chipping Thu 20-Oct-11 09:53:42

Hi, Angel, DC4 is 8 months old now.

chipping Thu 20-Oct-11 09:55:23

Pilates sounds good, would once a week be enough? I horse ride, so think it would be a good combination.

Angel786 Thu 20-Oct-11 09:56:21

Walking lots helped me generally to get back to almost pre pg form.

Nippysnippy Thu 20-Oct-11 10:52:45

Knickers. Huge hold you in buggars because sometimes it has just stretched too far.......

Jessicaalbastwin Thu 20-Oct-11 10:59:55

Zumba, pilates and brisk walking is very good for losing weight, as for surgery, I guess tummy tuck, don't think creams would work personally.

alwaysrunninginheels Thu 20-Oct-11 11:09:15

Another for pilates...and running! Was the same after DC3 and also developed a dreaded old lady hunch due to years of BFing. Now really notice the difference when i don't do pilates or run for a few weeks! But will never be the same as pre pregnancy.....but has lost the wrinkly folded old lady skin appearance.

notyummy Thu 20-Oct-11 11:21:54

Yes to pilates and running.

Also Jillian Michaels has a formidable reputation because her stuff is tough, but it works! Perhaps for you her 6 Week 6 Pack DVD would be good? Two workouts to choose from- each 35 minutes long. Worth a try.

PrimaBallerina Thu 20-Oct-11 11:30:14

Tracy Anderson has a great post pregnancy DVD which concentrates on exercising your smaller accessory muscles to bring the skin back to the muscle. I like it and don't think she's annoying either. Amazon stock it.

SparklyGothKat Thu 20-Oct-11 11:32:02

I have just joined a gym to get rid of my post pregnancy belly, I'm a bit worried I will lose weight (I don't weigh a lot) tho so am doing mainly walking and cycling. This last year has seen my tummy spread lol

malinois Thu 20-Oct-11 12:04:09

You need to increase the tonicity of the abs and obliques as these are what get stretched during pregnancy. So crunches, planks, leg raises etc are all good. Total ab machine if your gym has one is ace. Chances are some of it is simply fat too due to decreased activity so a general aerobic class would be good too: high intensity stuff like spinning, boxercise, body combat etc is more effective than the more "friendly" classes like Zumba but appreciate not for everyone.

malinois Thu 20-Oct-11 12:06:27

sparkly if you are worried about losing weight doing cardio exercise you should balance it with resistance exercise (ie weight lifting) which will maintain your weight.

VivaLaSativa Thu 20-Oct-11 12:14:35

Toning up muscle won't do anything about loose skin. I have been crunching for ages, I have abs of steel and still a wobbly jelly belly. I have seen this question posted elsewhere and the general consensus was live with it sadly, or get a mummy tuck.

chipping Thu 20-Oct-11 13:49:10

Nippy - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Thing is, I'm not overweight. It's the loose skin issue (yuck). In between babies I have gone to the gym 2 - 3 times a week & still have the saggy tum.

PrinceRogersNelson Thu 20-Oct-11 13:52:31

you won't get rid of the loose skin. It has stretched so much that it wont go back now.

I am a size 8 and pretty fit, but I have loose skin. Tis the way it is.

Embrace it or have surgery. Sorry.

SparklyGothKat Thu 20-Oct-11 18:33:52

I'm doing total abs and crunches too. I pinged back into shape after the older three but ds2 I just have spread a bit

Nippysnippy Thu 20-Oct-11 20:00:09

Why do you think they sell the kecks of joy?
Sometimes you have just got to admit defeat and yank the apron into some accommodating lycra. I favour the shorts to waist type. Also hoick up the rack with a bit of extra padding so as to make it look smaller.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now