Talk

Advanced search

Faux Fur - yay or nay?

(13 Posts)
MrsSnow Wed 19-Oct-11 18:32:51

I need a new winter coat. Today I was in TK Maxx alone (and unhurried) so was able to try on a few coats as well as a few that normally I would never normally consider.

Anyway I ended up trying on a black faux fur longer length coat with a hood. Its like this one but longer. It felt really snug. The hood was really nice in that when it was up it looked good and when it sat almost like a shawl on the shoulders and not like a basket on the back of the neck. I think I looked good, it looked de luxe but I just don't know if I am imagining a Dr Zhivago winter and getting carried away or whether it could be a good looking warm coat for a winter in London.

So what are your thoughts on faux fur?

dexter73 Wed 19-Oct-11 19:01:19

I like it. It looks very snug and warm.

HotBurrito1 Wed 19-Oct-11 19:10:40

I like it, but as evening wear, not sure it would work on the school run.

ggirl Wed 19-Oct-11 19:14:02

i'm fan of faux fur
about 10 yrs ago i had a great faux fur jacket from M&S..wish I knew where it was now
they look good dressed down with jeans etc

saying that i do prefer brown ones

ujjayi Wed 19-Oct-11 19:15:23

How bizarre, MrsSnow - I too was in TK Maxx today and pondering the exact same question........and considering S&Bing it grin

I have a deep (and perhaps unnerving) hankering after a little faux fur this season. In my head I am thinking "Luxe Winter Chic". The reality may be more "Weatherfield Chic".

Jellykat Wed 19-Oct-11 19:34:10

Yes to Faux fur, i have always loved it, and currently have 5 coats..

I too went shopping today, and was ecstatic to see just as much faux fur in the shops as i have in previous winters..

The one in your link is classy, not shiny/cheap looking and a decent weight..
as long as the one you tried didnt have the odd puffy bit on the hem, i'd say definitely go for it - its heavenly snuggling into something soft and warm when it's cold!

Oh and i wear mine everywhere and anywhere smile

ujjayi Wed 19-Oct-11 19:41:48

Can we have some links to "acceptable" faux fur coats please? smile

madammecholet Wed 19-Oct-11 19:52:33

Yes yes yes, I love a bit of faux fur....definetly a hot buy for this season, tis everywhere.... You can glam this up for glam this down imo..

Some great ones in Sainsburys atm....shock

madammecholet Wed 19-Oct-11 20:00:00

some others:

topshop

selfridges

oasis

boohoo

newlook

MrsSnow Wed 19-Oct-11 20:19:11

Nice selection madammecholet. I think I might go and visit 'mine' tomorrow.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to dress it down without looking a disaster?

ggirl for me it would have to be black, I find brown even chocolate doesn't really suit my skin tone. I end up looking too sickly!

Jellykat Wed 19-Oct-11 21:05:43

'go and visit' grin
Ooo go on, you know you want to..

Dress down with skinnies/ straight legged trews, or leggings and black suede boots.. the joy of coats like that being, they hide a multitude of sins on top, you only have to think about your legs and feet grin

MrsSnow Wed 19-Oct-11 21:10:00

jellykat grin

Dancergirl Wed 19-Oct-11 22:44:23

I love the look of faux fur too, might treat myself...

I want a shorter jacket to wear in the evening. Can't decide between grey or black....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now