Talk

Advanced search

is it possible to make a cheap outfit look more...un-cheap.(!) ?

(14 Posts)
mymuchness Wed 19-Oct-11 16:55:18

As the question asks really? I have just bought a blouse which is very 'me' in style but the material is a bit cheap looking. Any ideas how to counteract it?!?

PandaG Wed 19-Oct-11 17:06:03

right accessories. Add a belt, heels or smarter boots, jewellery etc.

mymuchness Wed 19-Oct-11 17:52:48

what are the right accessories though? those that match colour-wise or expensive ones, understated etc?

TracyK Wed 19-Oct-11 18:07:16

Do you have a link to the top?

planetpotty Wed 19-Oct-11 18:09:44

I would say good quality shoes to offset smile

PandaG Wed 19-Oct-11 18:10:50

I think I'd go for understated, more expensive rather than matching colour in a cheap material. Plain leather belt in a toning colour. Difficult to say about jewellery witjhout seeing it, and knowing you.

I've had my colours done, and done a style class - I've found I can make cheaper and charity shop clothes look much better with the right accessories, really worth the money. Belt, clean smart shoes and a decent handbag really make a difference to an outfit.

TracyK Wed 19-Oct-11 18:18:01

It depends if its out 'on show' or under a jacket or cardi.
Doubt if its cheap material and all on show - will still look cheap as you can see all the material iykwim.
A nice chunky scarf - or peeping out from under a nice cardi would do the trick - or under a wee denim jacket or the like?
Decent underwear or body shaper so its not see through or clingy would help.

mymuchness Wed 19-Oct-11 18:55:25

This is the top:

(dont shoot me please I like it!) sorry cant do links...

http://www.matalan.co.uk/fcp/product/fashion-to-buy-online/Blouses-&-Shirts/3/4-Crushed-Laser-Cut-Blouse/45148&resultsPerPage=100&attrList=Dept,brand

FoofFrighteners Wed 19-Oct-11 19:57:24

It's quite detailed so no need for loads of accessories. I'd wear plain earrings, maybe a bangle, and dark jeans or trousers or maybe a nice pencil skirt, with heels.

FoofFrighteners Wed 19-Oct-11 19:58:08

oh and to do links, just copy and paste as you did there, then click the tickbox "convert links automatically" smile

mymuchness Wed 19-Oct-11 21:27:32

Thanks FF - yes slightly worried its too fussy for any accessories!

TracyK Thu 20-Oct-11 10:32:47

Which colour did you get?
I'd do a nice chunky silver cuff.
Or I'd tuck it into a pencil skirt and have a nice thick belt on to cover the hemline. Or tuck into nice jeans.

mymuchness Thu 20-Oct-11 13:24:41

I chose the teal type colour - I'm an apple (cooking apple) shape so can't tuck it in or I'll look about 12mths pregnant! Like the idea of a chunky cuff though...thoughts on a necklace? Too much? Or would a very delicate one be ok? Should I pick up the feather-y type theme with hair accessories/necklace?
Planning on wearing it with a skirt and prob boots.

TracyK Thu 20-Oct-11 13:30:22

A delicate necklace would work - or a choker type leathery one - would make the outfit really casual though - as in a kind of cowboy and indian type way iykwim?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now