Talk

Advanced search

I need you to dress me for my Social Work interview

(12 Posts)
DCSsunhill Wed 19-Oct-11 12:01:38

It's for a sponsored MA in Social Work. I would chew my arm off for this job.

I have a pair of smart charcoal grey trousers but I don't have anything appropriate to wear on top.

I need a top and a jacket / blouse / cardi. For social work, it's often very dressed-down, so I don't want to look too business executive. Just confident.

Has anyone seen anything lately?

herecomesthsun Wed 19-Oct-11 12:37:05

I have something along he lines of this, bought for about the same amount, which is comfortable, smartish, would do for an interview, but is not over the top. I wore it with this and got compliments from a social work colleague...oh and I think my dress at least is machine wash!

DCSsunhill Wed 19-Oct-11 12:52:47

Herecomesthesun, I really like the boyfriend blazer. I hadn't thought about wearing a dress underneath it.

What shoes do you wear with your dress?

I have a choice of ballet flats or these

TethHearseEnd Wed 19-Oct-11 13:09:48

What are the trousers like?

What do you look like?

For Social Work, I would wear your charcoal trousers and a blouse like this with low heels...

DCSsunhill Wed 19-Oct-11 13:36:41

My trousers are slim fitting and fit really well. I wear them with ballet flats.

I'm short, blonde and slim...but can often seem really top heavy. I like the blouse but I think it would drown me...being five foot nothing.

I'm worried now. Do you think I need to go really smart? I had in mind I would go smart casual. It's an assessment centre where I have a 1 hour interview, telephone role play, group exercise and an exam. Do you think smart is non-negotiable?

<very glad I asked otherwise would have trotted up in little John Rocha T-shirt>

herecomesthsun Wed 19-Oct-11 13:38:45

I prob would wear my Ash Jalouse, which are grey ankle boots, or poss some grey /brown Russell & Bromley courts. The dress looks quite mad men on, and I replace the belt with a leather one.

herecomesthsun Wed 19-Oct-11 13:47:53

I don't think you need to be very smart, though it doesn't do any harm to be a tiny bit smarter in an interview. My social work colleagues vary a lot in their dress choices and apparent interest in fashion.

I like teth's blouse but cannot do high necks with bows like that as i would look vv matronly.

I think a jersey blazer type thing would be fine, and poss a silky top in a colour that suits your complexion (it might help peeps to know either your colouring, or the colours you like. ) Maybe a v neck or scoop neck if you are converned about seeming a tad top heavy.

DCSsunhill Wed 19-Oct-11 13:52:43

I'm really fair skinned, short blonde hair in bob.

I've always struggled finding blazers to fit as they seem to gape as they curve around my chest.

If I was going to wear a blouse, it would have to be one that is untucked. I've just been browsing Zara website but nothing is jumping out at me.

AuntieDoris Wed 19-Oct-11 21:53:54

I think smart casual is appropriate. Most social workers I know dress in an appropriate but not massively 'business-like' fashion unless they are due in court! So, I would say smart trousers and flat shoes with a nice blouse would be entirely appropriate.

herecomesthsun Wed 19-Oct-11 22:05:58

do any of these appeal? Blues often look good on blondes, having said that, I do think red looks very good with dary grey, but I would myself prob avoid wearing a very bright colour to an interview.

herecomesthsun Thu 20-Oct-11 06:39:56

catch of the day

ilovearnold Thu 20-Oct-11 09:39:16

I WOULD SAY COMFY SMART FLATISH SHOES UNLESS YOU ARE USED TO HEELS/YOU NEED TO BE ABLE TO RELAX SO THAT YOUR PERSONAL QUALITIES SHINE THROUGH ID SAY. SHOES AND TROUSERS WITH A NICE TOP AND JACKET TO TAKE OFF AND A SMILE.HOBBS SALE ON LINE HAVE SOME SHORT JACKETS - I GET SHORT ONES AS IM SMALL BUT ALSO ALLOWS MOVEMENT SO YOU CAN RELAX.ID TAKE JACKET OFF .IN INTERVIEWS FOR THIS TYPE OF JOB ID SAY THAT YOU HAVE TO LOOK AS IF YOU ARE PROFFESSIONAL BUT APPROCHABLE.ITS MORE IMPORTANT TO MAKE GOOD EYE CONTACT AND BODY LANGUAGE AND APPEAR WARM - SOMETIMES ID WEAR A SLIGHTLY INDIVIDUAL BUT NOT BONKERS PEICE OF JEWELRY TO SHOW PERSONALITY.GOOD LUCK X PS SORRY SPELLING MISTAKES MAJOR HURRY.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now