Talk

Advanced search

security tags

(5 Posts)
PulpFriction Wed 19-Oct-11 10:21:41

I was away last weekend with DH and bought a lovely silk dress from Whistles. Came home to find they hadn't removed the security tag.

I am miles from a branch and unlikely to be visiting their store again for a long time. I've called them and they were vaguely apologetic and recommended I take the dress and receipt into any local retailer with a de-tagger and ask them to de-tag on their behalf. This is a bit of a big ask isn't it... I am not really happy to do this and can only imagine the sneers I'll get from the shop assistant!

The only other option is to send the dress back to them with the receipt, but the event I am going to, specifically to wear this dress, is on Saturday! I am also reluctant to send an expensive dress through the post, and go through all the hassle of trying to get them to refund my postage costs.

Does anyone know what my rights are?

areyoutheregoditsmemargaret Wed 19-Oct-11 10:41:35

I would honestly do what they say re going into any shop, so what if they sneer. It's not your fault and you have the receipt. This once happened to me with a jacket i bought in Canada, I didn't discover until I got home and had to go into every shop in Oxford Street before I found one that had a compatible detagger. Very annoying, but I think it happens quite often (happened again with a dress from Anthropologie) so I don't think the assistants will be as horrible as you anticipate.

Or you could ask Whistles to email you a letter, apologising and asking shop to help out. Good luck.

Littlepumpkinpie Wed 19-Oct-11 10:52:44

I would not worry about asking a shop assitant to de tag something take the reciept with you and ask for thier help. If you explain they whats happened and show you have paid for it no need to feel embrassed this sort of thing happenens all the time. Please do not try and remove the tag yourself some do contain Dye that will ruin the garment.

CointreauVersial Wed 19-Oct-11 13:29:11

This happened to me once, and I went into a random shop to ask for their help removing the tag, and they were fine about it.

Worth a try if you really like the dress.

Typical, isn't it? Why don't the shop alarms go off when you want them to?

dingdong3 Wed 19-Oct-11 18:03:16

I worked in River Island on Grafton St., Dublin too many years ago and we had security tags on everything...but we all knew the door alarms didn't work..it was a bit 'duh' really. Loads of people came back with clothes with tags still on them and we had to say 'oh yes, the door security was broken that day you were in' hmm

Regarding OP...defo bring to another store and ask. Can't do any harm to ask and then you get your dress for Saturday

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now