Talk

Advanced search

Wedding dress help needed...

(31 Posts)
PeachesMelba Tue 18-Oct-11 16:46:15

I'm getting married on the tightest budget ever, and am wondering to get a cheap wedding dress. I'm trying to stay under £300 - just don't have £Ks to spend on something I'll wear once to a "secret" wedding!

I've had a look on Monsoon's site but there's nothing particularly inspiring on there.

PippiLongBottom Tue 18-Oct-11 16:49:01

Mine was a 'proper' wedding dress but was the sample one and it was only £200. We have a budget type wedding dress shop near us which is where I got it from.

My suggestion would be the ones on Ebay from Hong Kong. Most are under your budget IIRC and are made to your measurements.

HettyAmaretti Tue 18-Oct-11 16:49:47

Are we looking for white / ivory / cream?

mynameischarlesthesecond Tue 18-Oct-11 16:50:56

what sort of style do you like?

billgrangersrisotto Tue 18-Oct-11 16:51:28

What style are you looking for? If vintage, there are a couple of options to google:

Honeypie boutique
Vivian of Holloway

If you're looking for a more traditional style, BHS do wedding dresses, some of the simple ones are under £300.

Or you could take a risk and order from one of the many Chinese wedding dress sites (landy bridal and milly bridal are 2 of the best known). Some people are delighted, others are really disappointed..... So a bit risky but they are v cheap.

mynameischarlesthesecond Tue 18-Oct-11 16:51:54

something like this? here?

mynameischarlesthesecond Tue 18-Oct-11 16:53:10

or something like this?

PippiLongBottom Tue 18-Oct-11 16:53:29

Might not be your thing, but they are bargainous

link

Ragwort Tue 18-Oct-11 16:54:05

Is it a posh 'white' wedding - why does it have to be a formal wedding dress? I got married in a perfectly nice skirt and matching top - then I wore it everywhere else for years !

You can hire very nice wedding dresses from some branches of Oxfram.

higgle Tue 18-Oct-11 16:54:49

I'd second BHS The less expensive ones are the nicest.

mynameischarlesthesecond Tue 18-Oct-11 16:55:48

this?

HettyAmaretti Tue 18-Oct-11 16:56:15

coast

coast again

and again. Too short?

Not classic enough?

very simple

rather sweet

HettyAmaretti Tue 18-Oct-11 16:59:40

phase eight I like this one

JobCarHouseNoBaby Tue 18-Oct-11 17:03:22

Where are you OP? I am also wedding dress shopping and found www.bridalbargains.co.uk/. Lots of lovely dresses at circa £200-£600!

It's in Basingstoke though, if you wanted to try them on.

It came up in Google when I typed in 'bargain wedding dresses hampshire'

PickleSarnie Tue 18-Oct-11 17:04:20

I had this one: honeypieboutique.co.uk/ourshop/prod_651114-Lauren.html With underskirts, sash and a lace bolero from lightinthebox.com it came to about £300. I loved it.

Stokey38 Tue 18-Oct-11 17:05:11

There are some lovely ones that don't cost a fortune amongst this lot. In US but do ship www.jcrew.com/wedding/Wedding_Bride/gowns.jsp

ellangirl Tue 18-Oct-11 19:37:05

Lots of bridesmaids dresses from the bridal shops come in white/ivory too, and will be fitted/altered properly but the shop too.

DistinctlyMintyMonty Tue 18-Oct-11 19:54:04

What about looking at prom dresses? I had my dress from Aisle of Brides in the colour of my choice (merlot) for £199. Bargain!

sproooOOoogger Tue 18-Oct-11 20:02:47

This site has hundreds of dresses that can be made to your measurements and in your chosen fabric swatch. It has lots of good feedback, too:

Light In The Box

Looks like every women in the US gets her prom dress from them.

emsyj Tue 18-Oct-11 20:26:12

Bit cheeky, but if you like vintage 50s style ones I sell them and I do a range that is all under £300 (with sewn in petticoats so no extra cost there). I'm also doing 25% off shoes and accessories till end of December. Private mail me if you want a link to the website. I do have a studio to try on too, am in the north west.

As you were....

If you want a long traditional one I can recommend Milly Bridal as being good quality stuff, but they tend to take longer to do stuff than they say - so if they tell you 8 weeks delivery, allow double to be safe.

witchyhills Tue 18-Oct-11 20:31:37

I had two
One from m & s for £45, i don't think they do bridal anymore
and a sundress that was sitting all alone on a sale rack in Debenhams for £80. It was was too big, I had it adjusted.
how long have you got? I would keep looking, any dress sales

MadameCastafiore Tue 18-Oct-11 20:33:35

I have a prom dress kind of thing hanging in my wardrobe - will be happy to lend it to you for postage - is size 12 - white with rouched top half with little stones on and a big net skirt to top of shoes.

PeachesMelba Tue 18-Oct-11 20:41:43

Hey all

Just a quick thank you for the responses so far - didn't expect so many so soon! My internet is being ridiculously slow and holding me up in checking out the links.

Basically, I like a simple/slinky skirt, and what I can only describe as Grecian straps (will post a pic when things are working). I don't know if that's the correct name - basically from the front they look like they could be halterneck straps, but they're not. Also cream or ivory would be best.

And if I wanted a lace bolero, do you think I'd have to have a sleeveless dress?

PeachesMelba Tue 18-Oct-11 20:48:29

Hetty I like your "not classic enough" link.

I also like this one from Coast but in the video it looks a bit short...

emsyj Tue 18-Oct-11 20:49:30

Have a look at Courtesan Boutique - www.courtesan-boutique.co.uk/unusual_bridal_dresses.html (NB Not my website!!! Mine is exclusively 50s style stuff)

Also worth looking on www.unique-vintage.com - they have a huge range of dresses and their prices are really reasonable, even allowing for shipping and import duty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now