Talk

Advanced search

Oh God, have seen most beautiful dress EVER but it won't fit me :(

(29 Posts)
pARGHssTheTwiglets Tue 18-Oct-11 14:57:46

Look, isn't it gorgeous?

I am so sulky, I absolutely adore it, it's my bestest bestest colour anmd that neckline shape really suits me too but I'd never get into it sad I could maybe just about squeeeeeeze into size 18 clothes but Coast sizes are much smaller than they should be and I reckon their 18 is more like a 14. Why don't they do 20s, or make their clothes sizes more normal?! NO FAIR <stomps foot> Not that I could afford it anyway, so I suppose it's just as well.

EdlessAllenPoe Tue 18-Oct-11 14:59:19

that is a lovely dress. have you tried it on in-store?

mumblechum1 Tue 18-Oct-11 15:00:42

It is lovely.

CombineArvester Tue 18-Oct-11 15:06:30

It's lovely. Are your curves toned though? My bum though small is v untoned and I suspect that dress would highlight that grin

It is one of my favourite colours too. Try it on go on go on!

LorrieS Tue 18-Oct-11 15:07:23

I tried this on - quite similar to the Coast one, and found the sizing as it should be. V. flattering on, too.

mumblechum1 Tue 18-Oct-11 15:11:36

tbh, I think you'd have to be a 12 or under to look good in that. I'm a 12 with a jelly belly and it wouldn't do me any favours unless I had some serious corsetry.

Pagwatch Tue 18-Oct-11 15:28:51

Oooooh, how funny. I tried that on last week!

It is cut well and the fabric is well structured so it is flattering. I also think the sizing was generous.
Is it worth trying?

lubeybooby Tue 18-Oct-11 15:30:52

You're joking! Coast sizes are massive. I was a 20/22 last year and got into an 18, my DD is a 10 and got into a 6 - just get it and try it grin

Emo76 Tue 18-Oct-11 15:42:26

watch out with that material

AphraBehn Tue 18-Oct-11 16:14:22

I fit into a Coast size 18 - much to my surprise - so I don't think they come up small.

pARGHssTheTwiglets Tue 18-Oct-11 17:08:09

Oh, how interesting that some of you think their sizing is generous! A few years ago I tried on one of their dresses in my usual size and it way too small. I asked on MN about it and several people said "oh yes, their sizing is much too small" - but maybe they were just being kind smile I've never tried anything other than that one dress on back then but maybe I will try this just in case then.

Pag, did you get the dress or just try it on?

CombineArvester, I think you are right about the Bum Situation. I am as untoned as it is possible to be (stomach bears war-wounds of 2 c-sections) and I did think the tightness over the bum would look awful. I thought the ruching on the front would be good to cover up wobbly bits there though.

Lorrie, love that Kaliko dress!!

I am going into town on Thursday or Friday and will try it on then in that case. But really, I am kidding myself that I'm an 18 in the first place grin

grumpypants Tue 18-Oct-11 17:10:57

Marks does a velvet one like that in a similar colour?

grumpypants Tue 18-Oct-11 17:13:55

www.marksandspencer.com/Occasion-Party-Dresses-Dresses-Womens/b/533512031#ie=UTF8&node=533512031&sort=-product_site_launch_date&page=3&forceNoKeyword=false&size=12

first one and three?

pARGHssTheTwiglets Tue 18-Oct-11 17:17:20

Lovely M&S frock, grumpypants, but miles too long for me. Neckline is perfect though.

oohlaalaa Tue 18-Oct-11 17:17:48

oh that's a style that suits me too.

I have a very good friend who works in Coast, and buys me my clothes with her 50% staff discount. I still can't afford it though. Really cash strapped at the minute. sad

Pagwatch Tue 18-Oct-11 17:19:25

Just tried it on.

Tbh I would have seriously considered it but I am carrying about a stone that I don't normally have and whilst part of me thought 'just buy for the size you are now' I also know I am working out and am staring to get a bit more back to normal so it seemed silly to buy now.
I may try again a bit nearer to Christmas.

The colour looks good on. I worried it would look a bit trashy but it is quite warm -if that makes sense. The neckline is lovely.

grumpypants Tue 18-Oct-11 17:22:57

yep, neckline gorgeous. shame you can't erase these clothes you love but are too big/small/expensive/unethical etc from living memory...

LaurieFairyCake Tue 18-Oct-11 17:23:13

According to the size guide, the sizes are really small.

The size 18 bust is 42 inches - usually an 18 is 44 inches.

The hip size is 43.5 inches and an 18 hip size is usually 46 inches.

I'm an 18 and have enormous norks at 36j's so I usually find Coast Jersey dresses fine but not shifts in tighter fabric.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 18-Oct-11 17:25:14

God I type slow on the phone!

Lovely dress Pag.

Pagwatch Tue 18-Oct-11 17:26:38

I have some lovely things in my wardrobe that I can't get on.

And the frustrating thing is it is just menopause/ageing.
My life is exactly the same as the last two, four , six years. Yet suddenly, booofff - a stone from no where.

Fucks me off.

HermanMumster Tue 18-Oct-11 17:31:56

Amen to that, Pag <<nearing 50 emoticon>>

Graciescotland Tue 18-Oct-11 17:34:34

I find that the bust sizes are small in coast but waist/hips are generous. It's worth a try though.

pARGHssTheTwiglets Tue 18-Oct-11 18:41:41

Ah, well in that case there's no point even trying to get my 36HH's in it then...

HellonHeels Tue 18-Oct-11 22:34:35

Like the shape of the dress but I think satin is very unforgiving unless you're very slim.

pink4ever Wed 19-Oct-11 08:29:21

I agree with op-Coast sizing is ridiculous. I cant even fit into an 18 in there if its anything fitted and yet in all other shops I am a 14/16-ie can get into a 14 in new look,next or Monsoon but am a 16 in topshop or h&M.
I am broad shouldered with norks but slimmer from hips down-perhaps that is my problem?
Nice dress but I agree def try it on first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now