Talk

Advanced search

If you are curvy, what do you wear with a short sleeve dress when it's cold?

(23 Posts)
peppapighastakenovermylife Mon 17-Oct-11 21:46:08

That's it really - I am an hourglass shape - broad shoulders, big boobs, big hips and curve in at the waist. Fitted clothes suit me. Jersey dresses are fab.

I have a few short sleeve ones but if I wear a cardigan open then it hides my shape and I look a lot larger. I find cardigans hard to do up as if they fit my boobs they are huge on my waist and vice versa.

Any ideas?

mycatsaysach Mon 17-Oct-11 21:48:05

cropped cardy

bananarama05 Mon 17-Oct-11 21:59:35

Would a longer style cardigan with a waist belt work?
I wore boyfriend style cardies this way to work a few times last winter.

apple99 Mon 17-Oct-11 22:01:58

I wear long sleeved top's underneath my short sleeved dresses when it is colder.

moonshine Mon 17-Oct-11 22:04:20

Fitted or semi-fitted cropped cardigan. Or if the cardigan is longer then belt it with a skinny belt.

Carrotsandcelery Mon 17-Oct-11 22:04:30

You either need a very long line cardigan with a shaped waist or you need a cropped, bolero cardi which covers your arms but doesn't come across your bust really.

For both, Monsoon is your friend.

I got a lovely curvy long line cardigan from them last autumn. It is v necked, has 3 buttons just below the bust, curves in for the waist and then skims over the hips. I actually have a shape in it. I have just bought another one the same on ebay so that I have one to wash and one to wear as it has been so handy.

Carrotsandcelery Mon 17-Oct-11 22:07:47

Something like this

omydarlin Mon 17-Oct-11 23:10:58

I wear shortish round or v neck cardigans but not done up at the bust. I also wear long cardigans but try to ensure wear a belt if I do that. I recently got a tweed jersey one button jacket from next I wear this with ponte style dresses gets lots of compliments.

PattySimcox Mon 17-Oct-11 23:23:57

YY cropped cardi - any pic of Nigella seems to show her in a short cardi that emphasises her small waist to detract from her rear

shodatin Mon 17-Oct-11 23:28:03

I do like sleeves when it's cold, and have altered a few short-sleeved tops by adding long sleeves cut from tee-shirts,etc., with maybe a collar or small scarf or belt made with left-over fabric.

SolarPrestigeAGammon Tue 18-Oct-11 03:09:49

Just buy a nice fitted jacket. Cardigans remind me of my granny.

OldBride Tue 18-Oct-11 10:03:58

Cropped denim jacket. You might have to crop it yourself.
Or if you have ££££s a Vivienne Westwood jacket.

Parasaurolophus Tue 18-Oct-11 11:17:01

Does anyone know of a tight-fitting long sleeved top? I want something to wear under my jersey dresses that doesn't ruin the shape and gives an extra layer.

American Apparel does a leotard, but if I wore that I'd have to strip naked every time I go to the loo.

PinotScreechio Tue 18-Oct-11 12:29:49

I'd like that too Para (also your name is DS2's fave dinosaur)

cardoon Tue 18-Oct-11 12:54:50

M&S heat generating tops are tight with good long sleeves. Lots of colours too.

peppapighastakenovermylife Tue 18-Oct-11 14:46:34

Ooh thank you, sorry been working. I think the long sleeve top would probably look best - even fitted cardigans seem to loose the curve. Am off to investigate smile

Parasaurolophus Tue 18-Oct-11 16:02:22

I have ordered this one from the Gap

I'll report back.

OldBride Tue 18-Oct-11 18:05:15

This is what Mary Portas' armery is for...........

RedwingWinter Tue 18-Oct-11 18:22:00

If you can afford it, a Brora cropped cardi is perfect with a dress.

peppapighastakenovermylife Wed 19-Oct-11 17:14:27

oooh now I have a cheap version of the armery but it doesnt quite look right for work? Perhaps it's the material. I will investigate.

There is a Brora cardigan on ebay BNWT. Daft question but how long are they?

josephinebonaparte Wed 19-Oct-11 19:06:33

Scoop neck long sleeved top and a cardigan I can do up under my boobs. And a thermal vest.

josephinebonaparte Wed 19-Oct-11 19:07:23

Fuck Mary portas and her armory.

RedwingWinter Thu 20-Oct-11 16:53:12

Peppa, all their cardis vary in length a little bit but I think the cropped ones are about 49cm. The cropped ones are good because they show that you still have a waist. Their sales are really good especially if you wait for the final reductions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now