Talk

Advanced search

Best budget buy to banish dark under-eye circles? (not touché éclat)

(26 Posts)
Holymoly321 Mon 17-Oct-11 21:46:07

hello ladies, can anyone suggest their best budget under eye gel or similar to banish dark circles? I don't really wear makeup apart from mascara, but am getting sick of looking like I haven't had any sleep (which I haven't!!). Am prepared to pay up to £15 for something that REALLY works, but would really like something around the £5 mark! Help me look awake please!

LolaLadybird Mon 17-Oct-11 22:16:35

No 7 Instant Radiance concealer here.

Have been using it for years and it's brilliant for dark under-eye circles. Have never bothered trying anything else since. There are 2 shades so worth trying to get into a store to have a look - I think I use No 2 which is more of a yellow tone (No 1 too pink for me).

wildstrawberryplace Mon 17-Oct-11 22:19:50

Another for vote for No 7 Instant Radiance concealer.

Holymoly321 Mon 17-Oct-11 22:22:47

Ah thanks, but as I'm mixed race I just want a gel rather than a cover-up as the touch éclat style pens never match my skin tone

louloubellamozzarella Mon 17-Oct-11 22:23:31

The Garnier roller pen thingies are very good. Better than touche eclat and the no 7 pen, and bourjois, also benefit concealer IMO. And about £7 (special offer sometimes for £4-5 - check out superdrug) grin

twolittlemonkeys Mon 17-Oct-11 22:23:47

Aldi do a fantastic one, almost as good as Touche Eclat - it's about £3.50 IIRC. I've seen other posters recommend it too. I have used TE and the Aldi one and there's really very little difference so when my concealer runs out I'm heading straight back to Aldi!

louloubellamozzarella Mon 17-Oct-11 22:25:45

dark shade of the garnier might suit?

Tillyscoutsmum Mon 17-Oct-11 22:27:09

Arnica cream. Honestly. Just be careful not to get it in your eyes <<eyes water at the memory>>

Holymoly321 Mon 17-Oct-11 22:32:15

Have tries the darker garner shades and just looks ridiculous. Interesting thought about arnica cream though. Have to say Im surprised. Thought there'd be loads of diff gels for the under eye area?

louloubellamozzarella Mon 17-Oct-11 22:34:21

Oh bummer sad

Are you looking for a concealing gel, or one that minimises dark circles or both?

Holymoly321 Mon 17-Oct-11 22:38:34

Something to minimise rather than conceal I think loulou

mippy Mon 17-Oct-11 23:10:12

Benefit Bo-o-ing comes in a darker shade, and it's £10 on ASOS right now if that is budget enough for you.

wildstrawberryplace Tue 18-Oct-11 10:46:38

I think massage can help reduce the dark circles somewhat. I had success with the Garnier caffeine non-concealer roll on applying twice a day and really massaging with the roller, and with Estee Lauder Uncircle (now discontinued) but I reckon that it in both cases it was more the action of repeatedly massaging the area with a lubricant so the skin doesn't pull/drag.

Have also seen that you can make some kind of homemade peel off mask with gelatin that is supposed to work but I don't know if it actually works. There were instructions on makeupalley I think.

gettingolderbytheday Tue 18-Oct-11 10:58:48

I like the garnier tinted roll-on too - as good as more expensive brands. At superdrug they sometimes have it half-price.

louloubellamozzarella Tue 18-Oct-11 21:58:58

incognito I think the only things that can really shift dark eye bags are lots of water and sleep and minimise alcohol and caffeine and sugar but I'm no expert. Massage should help too - maybe a lymphatic drainage massage to clear any lymph build ups? You could look into acupuncture?

mummy2munchkin Tue 18-Oct-11 22:29:25

ermm...I had a tip once a few years ago (from a model) that hemorrhoid cream totally banishes bags and dark circles and I use it when I'm really really really knackered and it works in seconds, just rub a bit in under your eyes. I know it's a bit gross but it 100% works.

louloubellamozzarella Wed 19-Oct-11 10:57:24

Wow! That sounds good. Do you get any side effects munchkin?? Can you get it off the shelves in a chemist?

mummy2munchkin Thu 20-Oct-11 21:21:20

no nothing, it's awesome!! yes, it's about £2 and you can buy it in a chemist I use anusol.

louloubellamozzarella Fri 21-Oct-11 11:10:04

Great, thanks for the tip (and sorry to gatecrash incognito smile)

Tillyscoutsmum Fri 21-Oct-11 11:31:09

Well, in the interests of MN, I have started an experiment this morning. Under my right eye, I will apply hemorrhoid cream for a few days. Under my left eye, I will use my usual No 7 lift & luminate eye cream and see if there's a noticeable difference grin

valiumredhead Fri 21-Oct-11 12:21:22

Just discovered PEEPO by LILYLOLO - it's amazing stuff!

josephinebonaparte Fri 21-Oct-11 13:32:18

The bourjois one is better than the no7 one.

miche8 Fri 21-Oct-11 13:45:37

Hi i've very dark circles and have tried lots of products i'm currently using and loving so will re-purchase:

estee lauders illuminate eye cream, bobbi browns corrector with a concealer on top either a bobbi brown one, ysl, or benefits erase a paste or bo ing. Sorry these are not budget products.

Ulilo Fri 21-Oct-11 13:48:06

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

mummy2munchkin Fri 21-Oct-11 23:49:00

Tillyscoutsmum, how did it go?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now