Talk

Advanced search

HELP! What to wear to posh 30th birthday at trendy Notting Hill bar??

(17 Posts)
oldgreengrasshopper Mon 17-Oct-11 21:08:56

I am going to a 30th birthday party on Friday in London - it's a work friend of DH who I've never met, I just know that he and his fiance are very posh and the bar looks horribly trendy. I have absolutely no idea what to wear - it is over five years since I last went out in London, I am SAHM who lives in jeans and jumpers. Please please help, just give me a few pointers on what might be acceptable? Is fine for DH as he'll be going straight from work with lots of others all in their suits I think. Thank you!

Angel786 Mon 17-Oct-11 22:11:05

Hi there,

I used to live nr not hill and the bars are all v varied, mind if i ask which one? If genuinely trendy i'd say do your best to not look like tried too hard. Skinny trousers and a nice top / pretty dress but edge with a leather jacket. If a posher type bar then a more polished look would work better. Somewhere like the westbury is q casual, notting hill arts club /blag v relaxed. Supper club - super fashionable.

In any event, good shoes are a must! Also as it's your DH's work type thing, I'd make sure I'm well groomed (nails etc). Sorry if that sounds old fashioned!

oldgreengrasshopper Mon 17-Oct-11 22:18:30

thanks angel - its the clarendon? hmmm don't have any of the clothing items you have suggested (esp good shoes... a good point, hadn't thought that far!) so think I am going to have to drag unwilling 2 yr old DS round shops sometime this week.

Angel786 Mon 17-Oct-11 22:29:35

I don't think I've been there OP but it looks like a 'i've tried hard to look like I'm not trying hard!' place. So, I'd guess some skinny jeans / trousers (if they suit you?) with a nice top but focus more on the accessories, necklace, earrings, cute clutch and shoes. If q plain trousers and top you could throw in some animal / leopard print heels? It doesn't have to be expensive, just selective.

If I see anything in the high st, I'll let you know. Hope you have a fab time!

oldgreengrasshopper Mon 17-Oct-11 22:37:41

thanks, that's really helpful, gives me a good starting point! have no idea if skinny trousers will suit me or not as haven't worn anything 'skinny' since I was a teenager....but perhaps with a longer top it might be ok!!

polyhymnia Mon 17-Oct-11 23:37:21

I'd add in manicure and possibly if you can a blow dry - but in a style that looks casual but groomed. Definitely nothing obv. try-hard. Venue looks good btw.

LolaLadybird Tue 18-Oct-11 09:38:49

I was in New Look at the weekend and they had lots of nice blouse-type tops in sheer fabrics that would work well with skinny jeans/trousers and heels. Might be worth a look if you don't want to spend a huge amount.

kittydreamer Tue 18-Oct-11 11:07:06

Hello mumsnetters has anyone tried any of Mistrals clothing? Was wondering how their sizing came up ? I need a long sleeve t shirt to go under something I am generally a 14 in Boden large in Gap and sometimes need a 16 to accomodate my tummy but sometimes this means its too big on boob area? Any advice on Mistaral sizing much appreciated. Thanks

AngryFeet Tue 18-Oct-11 11:14:30

Definitely skinny jeans/leggings with nice top/dress and either shoe boots or knee high boots.

I am thinking of getting this to wear with leggings and my brown boots to my birthday drinks on Saturday (out in Clapham).

AngryFeet Tue 18-Oct-11 11:15:20

Sorry not that one this one

Angel786 Tue 18-Oct-11 11:31:10

Love that dress angry with boots would look fab! I wouldn't do leggings too tho, maybe just dark tights.

AngryFeet Tue 18-Oct-11 11:33:24

Yeah I just have horrible knees so need to cover them up as much as poss ;)

AngryFeet Tue 18-Oct-11 15:52:33

I just bought the dress I linked to (the animal print one). It is SO flattering! Makes my waist look tiny and since I am a 16 that is quite a feat ;)

Angel786 Tue 18-Oct-11 15:58:14

Yay! grin hope your birthday drinks are amazing!

AngryFeet Tue 18-Oct-11 15:59:45

They shall be! About 16 of us going to a hawaiian style cocktail bar. They do about a million different cocktails so I will try a wide selection grin

gazzalw Tue 18-Oct-11 16:05:34

Is this the Clarendon that's twixt Nottinghill and Ladbroke Grove or another one? If it is it used to be a favoured haunt about 20 years ago!

gazzalw Tue 18-Oct-11 16:05:48

Is this the Clarendon that's twixt Nottinghill and Ladbroke Grove or another one? If it is it used to be a favoured haunt about 20 years ago!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now