Talk

Advanced search

Tatty Hair Dye advice Please

(5 Posts)
BeauticianNotMagician Mon 17-Oct-11 17:04:11

Hi ive been looking through old threads and just wondered if Tatty or anyone else could help me.

I have red hair it was blonde have been dying over it since june.As red fades quickly and needs redoing often my hair is in quite bad condition.Lots of split ends.It is in a short style and i get it cut every 4 weeks.My hair grows very fast.

Anyway i would like to go back to blonde but i dont think my hair could take bleach straight away.So i was thinking of just trying to get rid of the red for now and going a light to mid brunette as ive never tried a brunette colour before.I just wanted advice on the best way to do this.

I figured this would be the best way to go back to blonde as it will give the red a chance to grow out but correct me if im completely wrong.

Thanks in advance.

BattyDevineIntervention Mon 17-Oct-11 20:26:17

Yes, that would work, in theory, but its hard to dye over red depending how red and how dark. I tried to do it myself about a year ago and it got darker but the red shines through. If you add more colour to hide the red then you get colour build up and then when you want to go light, you can't get the lift you need from the bleach and your highlights will be orange, giving you an even warmer redder overall look!

Therefore the best thing to do is to get rid of as much colour as possible using ColourB4 Extra Strength. It will melt away a lot of the artificial colour (its not bleach, it may dry you out a little but its only drying you not stripping out proteins or changing the structure of your hair).

You will go ginger. You can put an ashy or just brown temporary colour over the top (no ammonia or peroxide) to cover the ginger a bit. But you have to wait a week before you do a permenant dye as the colour can reoxidise otherwise. This is less of a problem with reds as it is with browns and blacks - reds are easy enough to rinse out, the molecules are already smaller, though they can leave behind some cuticle staining.

Anyway, do the ColourB4, check my profile, as there are pictures of me after I got rid of my reds (looking pretty pinky ginger) and then a picture of me after I dyed it using Nice n Easy 114 Light Ash Brown. The ash kills out the ginger tones and leaves you with a natural looking light brown shade. This is the ideal base from which to go blonde again. I know because that's what I then did - though I don't have any photos of me blonde on there. So I'd recommend you use that shade when you are allowed to dye it again.

So basically when you feel ready to go blonde again, go to the hairdresser and get a full head of highlights. She should be able to bring you up to a good level of blonde as you will have no colour build up, just the hair stripped of its reds with one layer of permenant dye as a toner. Then you can gradually get more and more highlights as your hair recovers and become blonde.

If your hair is in really bad condition, consider doing the Keratin treatment at home on yourself - mine was fairly overprocessed recently and all the oil treatments were not doing anything - but I did the keratin treatment and now its soft and bouncy. It puts protein back into your hair in the way other treatments can't - it actually bonds to the existing proteins in your hair. This

Good luck, let me know if you have any questions

BattyDevineIntervention Mon 17-Oct-11 20:27:15

This is ColourB4

BeauticianNotMagician Tue 18-Oct-11 09:44:18

Thsnk you so much for the advice.I have only just recently dyed my hair red again so i will wait for it to fade then ill definitely be using colour b4.Also love the look of the nice and easy colour you suggested.

Fingers crossed it works.My boyfriend will have fun teasing me if im a pinky ginger for too long haha.

BeauticianNotMagician Sat 22-Oct-11 08:47:37

Hi another quick question I'm doing my hair on monday.Will one packet of colour b4 be enough?I don't want my hair to fall out.Do I put the 8 wash dye on straight after?I'm going to wait until the following weekend untIl I dye my hair with the permanent brown I hope it looks ok but pretty sure it won't suit me.Then how long do I need to wait before getting highlights done?

Sorry for all the questions.I am useless with hair despite having worked in beauty industry for over ten years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now