Talk

Advanced search

Need to be trendy - but am so far away from it

(27 Posts)
NewbeeMummy Mon 17-Oct-11 14:34:13

I've recently started a new job, and it's for a company within the fashion industry (although I am back office and have nothing to do with the fashion side) and I am surrounded every day by skinny young gorgeous things who wear the latest fashion.

I've always worn nice fitted suits to work (I'm management level), but this place has a much more casual approach to office wear, and I'm sticking out like a sore thumb.

Now I don't want to try and dress too young and look like mutton dressed as lamb, but surely in my early 30's (size 10) I can pull off looking a bit trendy?

My problem is I haven't a clue on where to start. Please can someone offer some advice on what sort of thing I could be wearing to work so I look like less of a frumpy grandmother, but without making myself look like a complete arse

TethHearseEnd Mon 17-Oct-11 14:56:47

Have a look at Cos

monkeysmama Mon 17-Oct-11 15:18:54

What kind of budget do you have?

Angel786 Mon 17-Oct-11 15:20:40

Silk shift dresses, wrap dresses, pencil skirts. Heels. Zara usually has decent smart / casual dresses. Oasis / warehouse usually have good silk dresses. I q like Karen millen too.

Don't feel the need to copy the younger ones style. As a manager, it may help you to retain your own sense of style while still being fashionable.

Stokey38 Mon 17-Oct-11 15:31:34

I second COS, all my work clothes are from there.

NewbeeMummy Mon 17-Oct-11 15:33:59

Thanks for the help - I have up to £500 to spend at the moment, so not a massive ammount. But still more than I have ever spent on clothes in one go.

I do really like Zara and Karen Millen, so I'll definitely have a look there (although have never bought anything there before)

On another note, is it acceptable to wear these things with trainers (my commute has a 20 minute walk on each side) and then change into heels once in the office?

NewbeeMummy Mon 17-Oct-11 15:38:12

COS looks really good, thanks for the hint there - will defintiely spend some time tonight browsing that site

chocoBOO Mon 17-Oct-11 15:46:56

newbee When I lived in London that's what everyone did!

Angel786 Mon 17-Oct-11 15:59:00

Absolutely with the trainers for commuting, although I would change just before the office for a few weeks while you get to know ppl. Once all settledcin then I'd start to wear trainers in to the office and leave heels under the desk?

madammecholet Mon 17-Oct-11 16:24:12

Try Isabella Oliver 365, some lovely things here, also try Massimo Dutti are NOW ONLINE am excited by this, as i didn't know!

worldgonecrazy Mon 17-Oct-11 16:37:19

Can you get some time with a personal shopper at one of the bigger department stores (possibly one with all those stores as concessions?). That way you can do a bit of mix/matching of outfits and some ideas you may not have thought of.

As Winter is coming you are definitely going to need some stylish boots, and one pair of shoes (so that's a fair chunk of your money gone).

monkeysmama Mon 17-Oct-11 16:39:43

With Cos it's worth trying things on if you can get to a store as some of the shapes take getting used to/trying in different sizes.

Reiss is worth a look too. I had a personal shopping session there recently that was brilliant. If you're in London it's well worth it.

What styles/who's style do you usually like?

monkeysmama Mon 17-Oct-11 16:41:45

There is 36.5% off some Isabella Oliver dresses for next few days with code 365 at checkout.

monkeysmama Mon 17-Oct-11 16:43:16

And 25% off Warehouse with Elle25 if there is anything you like there. The silk bird print blouse has been raved about.

MissBeehiving Mon 17-Oct-11 16:48:07

MASSIMO DUTTI ONLINE!
<overexcited>

madammecholet Mon 17-Oct-11 16:50:09

I know missbeehiving I am lusting after this leather jacket..cannot justify, cannot afford, BUT WANT!

NewbeeMummy Mon 17-Oct-11 16:51:59

Thanks everyone, got a feeling I'm going to need to dip into my holiday savings (not that I had a holiday planned thsi year) and bump up my clothing fund.

Definitely need some new boots as my current pair are 5 years old and starting to look a bit tatty.

Isabella Oliver 365 and Massimo Dutti both have lovely stuff, but I think the idea of a personal shopper, is going to be the way to go. I've only recently started wearing skirt suits (very plain pencil skirt and matching jacket, normally, grey or black) and very conservative black or grey trouser suits, and I feel i need to see what colours I can wear, and maybe try some new styles. I often go shopping with the idea of getting something fashionable, but always end up with the same things.

Is it wrong to be so excited about getting a new wardrobe (and a little terrified)?

NewbeeMummy Mon 17-Oct-11 16:54:00

ooh that jacket is just gorgeous... ok it's official holiday savings has just become new wardrobe budget. blush

MissBeehiving Mon 17-Oct-11 16:56:39

Ooh, Mme that's lovely. Worth selling a child for

Newbee - be very excited. Throw away those dull suits and embrace your inner fashionista. smile

NewbeeMummy Mon 17-Oct-11 17:02:05

@ MissBehaving - never been one to be up to date with fashion, even as a teen I lived in jeans and hand me down t-shirts from the boys next door. So very excited grin

malakadoush Mon 17-Oct-11 17:03:52

Debenhams are great for a personal shopper session - a really relaxing way to get clothes. only downside is that they no longer do long length trousers - which is incredibly annoying.

MmeCholet - what inside leg lengths do Massimo Dutti offe - do you happen to know - ?

Thanks smile

celticlassie Mon 17-Oct-11 23:15:54

I have to add, you can get more discount on Warehouse through using birthday5 (Or birthday05, can't remember) for 35% off, then the Elle discount for a further 25%. (Spotted on the vouchers section of mnet)

Only, problem is, I tried to use it on the sale stuff and almost everything I tried to buy was sold out in my size. angry

NewbeeMummy Tue 18-Oct-11 09:21:22

Thanks Celtic - that's really good advice, I'll give that a try and see if they have anything left in my size smile

monkeysmama Tue 18-Oct-11 10:16:05

The codes don't seem to work together - I couldn't get them to earlier but birthday5 gets 35% off and free next day delivery. ASOS have a big sale on too as do Banana Republic. Probably worth getting an idea of what you need / would like first though.

GreenBlueRed Tue 18-Oct-11 10:26:51

Def try a stylist or personal shopper, if you're a jeans and t- shirt person who always wears the same shapes. I went shopping with a stylist friend recently and she gave me things to try on I'd never have thought of (in Cos and All Saints), and now they're my very favourite things that I've worn loads so well worth the money, they're still plain but such great shapes so they look cool and really updated me.

Mme, that jacket is gorgeous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now