Talk

Advanced search

Help please! DD needs a coat. Not just any coat, the holy grail of coats.

(10 Posts)
OwlMother Mon 17-Oct-11 11:37:44

By this I mean water-resistant, warm, washable (these should be known as the 3w's!) but not too utilitarian looking!

DD is 7, but in clothes in normally an age 8. She is very outdoorsy, and quite hard on clothes. Last year she had a gap warmest jacket, which she hated as it was too fat! In previous years we have had the Boden mini- cord duffle (fab as it was washable) and a Boden Parka, both were slightly longer line.

Could really do with some suggestions, feel like I am going round in circles! Have ordered the Boden duffle but am not convinced by it's practicality, she won't wear it for school so it really is a weekend coat I need.

All suggestions gratefully received!

gilmoregirl Mon 17-Oct-11 11:53:33

I got DS this coat which I think is fab quality [http://www.togz.co.uk/warm--dry-jacket-29-p.asp]

I thought it came in pink but can;t see that after all sorry. It is maybe too ulititarian?

DS has the red and it is lovely (v gererous sizes though)

gilmoregirl Mon 17-Oct-11 11:54:10

sorry my link didn;t work

www.togz.co.uk/warm--dry-jacket-29-p.asp

piprabbit Mon 17-Oct-11 12:00:47

Landsend coats are very good.

This one is a bargain

Pricey but impressive technical details.

accessorizequeen Mon 17-Oct-11 12:58:36

Ooh ds2 has that togz coat and it's fab but doesn't come in pink and prob a bit shapeless for a girl. There is a long thread on coats here m.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/1315832-Warmest-childs-coat
H&M seem pretty good on balance. Monsoon coats are actually quite hardwearing if they have anything waterproofish? What is budget?

OwlMother Tue 18-Oct-11 08:51:34

Thanks everyone.

Togz one looks good,gilmoregirl but a wee bit too utilitarian. Both of my ds have similar (oldest has north face, younger has the Boden ski jacket) and i was hoping for something a wee bit more girly.

Piprabbit am loving the landsend ones, have never come across them before. Particularly like the last one with the fur, comes in good colours too!

Thanks for the link to the other thread accessorizequeen a quick scan does show h and m coming up well. Have never really had anything from there so not sure as to their durability as the one coat for the winter? No real budget, will only buy one coat so just want to get a really good one.

Am leaning towards the Landsend one.....

lucysmum Tue 18-Oct-11 08:58:35

Joules ? Usually very warm, cosy and well made

www.joules.com/en-GB/2/Girls-Jackets-%26-Coats/c01c03.r16.1

accessorizequeen Tue 18-Oct-11 09:49:48

I've not bought a coat from h&m but everything else pretty durable that I've bought. Someone said they wouldn't last more than one child tho. Lands end by all accounts great quality and there is usually a good discount around.

OwlMother Tue 18-Oct-11 10:18:07

Have had the Joules practical ones before, looked at them in John Lewis on Saturday, much more of an Autumn weight, iyswim. Need serious warmth if we have snow again like last year. Couldn't move the car for at least a fortnight so were on foot a lot.

hettie Tue 18-Oct-11 12:35:18

Hi, I can really recomend the girls didriksons parkas here not sure if you could find them elsewhere for cheaper..... the fur hood comes off and they are really really hard wearing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now