Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sit ups

(15 Posts)
Buddhastic Mon 17-Oct-11 08:06:03

Not sure I am posting in the right section but wonder if anyone can help. I would like to tone up and am struggling to do 'ONE' sit up. Is there an exercise I could do to build up my stomach muscles to enable me to start being able to do sit-ups.

loserface Mon 17-Oct-11 08:17:02

I really struggled with them aswell till I got one of these. You do need to make sure your breathing out as you sit up or else you'll end up with a pot belly. Also hold in your pelvic floor as much as possible, this will help train your tummy muscles to stay flat smile

Maybe try having a look for an online tutorial to make sure you're doing it right or go for a trial day at the gym to be taught how?

rubyrubyruby Mon 17-Oct-11 08:19:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DrNortherner Mon 17-Oct-11 08:30:13

the plank

4aminsomniac Mon 17-Oct-11 08:47:27

I bought some of those unstable trainers (like MBT but cheaper; Sketchers). The biggest change I noticed was to my abs; amazing! I can't do sit-ups because of a back problem, but don't need to now, I just wear my wacky trainers whenever I go for a walk.

Buddhastic Mon 17-Oct-11 09:02:39

Thank you for your replies. I have just done 5 sets of 'the plank' and my arms shake like mad. I think I will also try the trainers. Unforunately, loserface I struggle to use it properly it always hurts my neck. Thank you all.

HazleNutt Mon 17-Oct-11 09:13:03

there are many, many ab exercises but a full sit-up is not a good one, mainly because it exercises your hip flexors instead of abs. Check youtube, there are many exercise videos there. or google, sites like that: exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises.htm are helpful.

And don't forget to exercise yout back, you need balance. Can't show off nice abs of your posture is horrible.

sweetheart Mon 17-Oct-11 09:35:07

you should try pilates, it's very gental but it's all about core strength.

This is great Flat Belly Fast I do 10 or 20 minutes every morning.

The excercises constantly vary so it is a million times more effective than sit ups and so much less boring.

JosieRosie Mon 17-Oct-11 10:55:50

Wow 4am, tell me more about your wacky trainers! I have a bad back too and have found that sit-ups and crunches just kill my back and neck so would love an alternative coz I certainly have a gut that needs busting! What sort of change did you notice? Do the trainers make you hold your abs in more than usual walking?

TracyK Mon 17-Oct-11 11:16:10

If you can try and remember to hold your tummy in tight for 30 secs every wee while - esp if out for a walk - that will help.

Also do backwards situps first - rather than hauling yourself up the way. Sit down, get yourself stable and slowly try and roll back to lying down. Only lean back a little to start with - but lean back till you can feel your muscles engage - then sook in your tummy and try and stay there. That will gently strengthen them and then you can do some up the way sit ups.

flipflopflap Mon 17-Oct-11 11:17:03

I second WhereTheWildThingsWere DVD suggestion, I love the blast off belly fat section as it doesn't involve sit ups at all and is only ten minutes long, I started doing that everyday and managed to work my way up to doing crunches and the plank, it's definitely worth it, especially as it's so cheap!

ujjayi Mon 17-Oct-11 11:31:52

Google the Tupler Method. It is one of the most effective methods of toning your tummy post-natally - much better than sit ups.

When you are doing the Plank make sure you have equal weight between your hands and feet - otherwise you won't be engaging your core correctly. Although you are on your tip-toes, you want to push the heels towards the back of the room, away from you, so the weight shifts and sits evenly between upper and lower body smile

HazleNutt Mon 17-Oct-11 11:33:36

Or what about gym? LesMills has an excellent new core training class, CXWORKS. 30 minutes only but not easy, I promise.

MistyMountainHop Mon 17-Oct-11 16:28:47

have also heard crunches are better than sit ups OP. and they are easier!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now