Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What to use on really dry hair.

(16 Posts)
RantyMcRantpants Mon 17-Oct-11 01:21:15

My hair seems to have gone really dry and strawlike. What can I use to make it nice and silky again?

I rarely use a drier on it, prefer to let it dry naturally and don't use anything like straightners. I am using Herbal Esscenses at the moment. It is blonde, if that makes a difference.

Ideas please.

warmandwooly Mon 17-Oct-11 06:00:08

Aveda do a condioner/hair treatment thing. It's in a blue container. I got it for dry hair. Use sparingly tho..

4aminsomniac Mon 17-Oct-11 08:57:05

I bought conditioner that is so 'conditiony' that I only use it every other wash, it might suit you. White bottle, Organix Nourishing coconut milk conditioner. Normal sort of price, as I remember.

flybynight Mon 17-Oct-11 09:13:38

I cover my hair in argan oil for 20 minutes before a shower. Makes it lovely and soft afterwards.

sprogger Mon 17-Oct-11 09:26:00

I've started using extra-virgin cold pressed coconut oil (available in any heath food shop, or in dozens of places online). I pop it on as a deep conditioning treatment once a week before showering. Between deep treatments, I use a tiny amount on damp hair (avoiding the roots, concentrating on ends). It smells nice, it's worked, and if you find you don't like it you can always use it for cooking instead.

BattyDevineIntervention Mon 17-Oct-11 12:21:27

If your hair is still dry and haystacky after trying bog standard oil type treatments (like coconut oil or argan oil as mentioned above, then its probably more than just dry, but overprocessed. Hair needs lipids (oils) to remain healthy, but also protein.

I've done terrible things to my hair over the past year or so and I was finding that oil treatments were no longer solving the softness and elasticity issue so I did the Keratin treatment at home which is an anti frizz treatment, and whilst I didn't have frizz, it solved the condition of my hair by replacing the lost or damaged keratin molecules.

Its now super sleek, shiny, soft, and holds its style better without going weird at the ends overnight.

This bad boy

Dillydollydaydream Mon 17-Oct-11 12:27:37

I've just started to use Moroccan argan oil. Think that's the right name. My hair has never berm so soft and shiny. Even after bring out on the wind it stops my hair turning fluffy. A little goes a long way though.

Havingkittens Mon 17-Oct-11 13:09:22

I had a Brazilian Keratin treatment and my hair has been like shite ever since! It snapped of in quite a few places after the treatment.

Angel786 Mon 17-Oct-11 15:21:58

Have heard great things about Moroccan oil, try that?

HollyBollyBooBoo Mon 17-Oct-11 21:11:15

Agree with Argan oil, amazing stuff. Use sparingly on damp hair, will sort out dryness within a few uses and smells divine.

neuroticmumof3 Mon 17-Oct-11 21:33:55

Your link doesn't work Batty. Can you use the Keratin stuff on bleached/highlighted hair?

RantyMcRantpants Mon 17-Oct-11 21:34:34

Wow! thanks for the help folks.

Batty I think you are right and it is over processed. It has happened after I have changed salons and have had my hair hi-lighted.

I think the moroccan oil will be my first try.

Just had a look on Amazon and came up with this lot What should I get. Don't want to spend an horrendous ammount just in case.

FoofFrighteners Mon 17-Oct-11 21:47:46

What's the deal with Argan and Moroccan oil? Aren't they the same thing?

fustyarse Mon 17-Oct-11 21:53:53

this stuff is FAB

my hair was kind of kinky and dry at the ends, but
it has changed my hair.

even when i don't blow dry, it settles much better with just a bit of serum

when I do blow dry, and even better, when I properly use my BBH, it's so much better than it was before

you put it on in between shampoo and conditioner, it's lovely

RantyMcRantpants Tue 18-Oct-11 21:34:34

Bumpity bump...

Sorry any recomendations on Moroccan Oil and where to get it.

PastGrace Tue 18-Oct-11 22:00:30

I don't use Moroccan oil, but I swear by this. I get lots of my beauty stuff www.lookfantastic.com/hair/moroccanoil here, but not sure if that is a good price or not since I don't use it.

kittens my sister had the same problem after using a chemical straightening thing - she had used Yuko before with no problems, but tried a different type at a different salon and her hair snapped and broke and she was heartbroken. She went to a different salon who confirmed it hadn't been done properly, and got a solicitor's letter explaining that it was their fault and she would take them to court. She ended up with £3000! The damage was bad, but it wasn't that bad (she said bitterly). I would go to a different salon that does the same treatment and ask if they think your salon have damaged your hair. You might not get the same mega-payout my sister wangled herself, but worth a shot. You should be able to get the consultation for free.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now