Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of this wig and a bit of advice please.

(24 Posts)
OldBagWantsNewBag Sun 16-Oct-11 00:07:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cyb Sun 16-Oct-11 00:09:25

rather than spending £236 (!!!) on a wig cant you go to a really good hairdressers and get a fab cut and some thickening/styling products to bulk up what hair you ahve?

OldBagWantsNewBag Sun 16-Oct-11 00:26:56

mymuchness Sun 16-Oct-11 08:12:32

Well it will be obvious to anyone who has seen you recently that its not your hair as its different... Would the colour match? Otherwise - yes the style and colour is very nice - quite tempted myself actually.
Not sure about the answer to you question - but would it be possible to pull through some of your won hair? Alternatively you could always wear a hair band thingy (although could ruin the style in other places...)

mymuchness Sun 16-Oct-11 08:13:36

What about a weave type/extensions or would they be a no-no?

mirpuppet Sun 16-Oct-11 08:19:21

There are other forums where women discuss the merits and different application methods for lace front wigs. With proper application the netting should barely been seen and only by those looking for it. However "proper" application can damage your front hairline so proceed with caution. If I were you I would look at you tube to see people putting on their wigs. It is time consuming but the ladies look lovely.

cyb Sun 16-Oct-11 10:29:00

It seems you want an awful lot done!

I have the opposite problem, too much hair but rather than trying to make your hair something it isn't , or can perhaps never be, and always fighting against it why not have a style that does suit thinner hair, more of an elfin cut? or is that a no no

TheFidgetySheep Sun 16-Oct-11 10:50:23

Many wigs now are very very good. I think the Market has grown massively because of chemo and alopecia. So you could get one with some good, if unconvincing results for anyone who knows you. Not always very comfy though.

However, you mention surgery, surgeries, so I cannot help but wonder if you are having more than usual anxieties bout your appearance. Just a punt, but possible?

OldBagWantsNewBag Sun 16-Oct-11 13:56:15

sidsmissis Sun 16-Oct-11 16:44:58

I haven't used the wrap around ponytail you linked to but I have got the 'style a do' which is a scrunchie with hair on iyswim . It is absolutely brilliant and great for the days when I need my hair to look good but I can't be bothered. I can go from worzel gummidge to groomed in 2 mins grin

The 'hair' looks very realistic and has several slightly different colours so it looks natural.My SIL is a hairdresser and she didn't detect it when I was wearing it.
I bought mine from QVC. The man who invented them demonstrates how to use them. If you search for Ken Paves on the QVC website all his products will come up and you can check out the reviews.

I hope you find a solution to your hair. Mine is receding from the front and I think unless you have suffered from hairloss it's difficult to understand just how devastating hairloss can be.

Jessicaalbastwin Sun 16-Oct-11 19:55:57

Ooohhh thats like my hairstyle, fortunately I have long thick hair though. Maybe if you had extensions from a hairdresser may be cheaper that way. Love the wig by the way.

OldBagWantsNewBag Sun 16-Oct-11 20:19:04

I lost much of my hair (androgenic alopecia) and I bought these three wigs

this one

this one

and this one

I thought, what the hell! I may as well be funky wig woman grin

I loved them and they looked real.

You have to get wigs with a natural skin parting or they do look like wigs

When my hair started to grow back, I decided to see if a hairdresser could do anything with it. I was wearing the headband one when I went in and asked - the hairdresser looked at it and said she thought it was my hair!

I whipped it off in the middle of the salon grin

Now I have my hair, it's short and styled so it comes forward from the very back of the top of my head, so you can't see how thin it is on the front.

PaigeThumbScrewTurner Sun 16-Oct-11 20:32:15

I have a wrap-around pony tail, only worn during nights out and it does slip a bit and need re-fixing. Friends use clip-in extensions and say they are very good.

betheldeath Sun 16-Oct-11 21:03:19

I had a client come into the shop and she had AMAZING hair... so me being me, I asked her "Are you just out of the hairdressers, your hair is faaaaab?!"

She went bright red and told me that actually it was a wig and she was recovering from chemo.

Completely at a loss of what to say I said " Oh well at least you have good hair!"
blush

She is a good friend now and always comes to me for hair/wig advice. (Bigger the better in my book!)

mirpuppet Sun 16-Oct-11 23:28:17

With regards to people noticing that you are wearing a wig -- most won't.

I worked with a woman and one day I asked her about wigs -- she then informed me that I had never seen her real hair because she wore wigs or extensions everyday for 3 years.

I then noticed the wigs for about a month; and then I stopped noticing because she looked fab so why was I looking for tell tale signs?

With regards to celebrities -- the press and public really scrutinize them so every problem is highlighted. I think truth be told more than 50% of the women celebs are wearing wigs or extensions at some point.

OldBagWantsNewBag Mon 17-Oct-11 00:18:35

OldBagWantsNewBag Mon 17-Oct-11 15:14:11

looks nice.

OldBagWantsNewBag Mon 17-Oct-11 17:36:44

elisio1 Tue 18-Oct-11 14:43:48

Hi Old Bag and Hecate

I too suffer from thinning hair- alopecia androgenetica. It is the most depressing thing, isn't it- and I think you're right - that no-one can appreciate the psychological impact of losing hair until unless they experience it.

Think the wig looks gretat- but I wonder if you have come across effective hair volumising products specifically for hair loss- I use Fullmore spray(ordered from America via a uk website) and Batiste dry shampoo on my thinning parts every day. I find them really good. They don't make my hair look big or thick, but they do fill in the thinning parts really effectively- so my hair at least looks normal. They are v easy to use, and stay put very well. The Batiste is only £3 from Boots-Fullmore £20 or so.

These products leave me far less paranoid about my hair, and , until it gets really thin, do a good covering up job.

Have you also considered really good extensions or even a brilliant-sounding hairsystem? Go to Lucinda Ellery website for a lot of press articles.I am hoping these will be a good solution once I get to the point where Fullmore doesn't cover the thinning anymore.

Hecate- you say you've had hair regrowth with alopecia andro- how did you manage this- was it Regaine? Just curious

Anyway, I feel you pain- thin hair is not much fun when you're a woman. Hope the wig boosts your confidence.

NotJustClassic Tue 18-Oct-11 15:58:29

Yes. But you have to use it forever, or it will just fall out again.

It's not much, I'll be honest. And it looks fuller because it's shorter and because I am training the hair to come forward from the very back of the top of my head, iyswim.

See, I went a bit loopy when they told me what it was blush I googled it and saw some right pictures! So I said sod that! I'm taking control here. And I shaved it all off and bought wigs grin

The new hair is certainly stronger and in better condition though. It hasn't been dyed a million times and had all sorts of gadgets heat blasting it grin

And yes, it is horrible. I mean, I know it's only hair. You feel you really shouldn't be so bothered - it's just hair. People cope with worse! But it is awful. I feel like a bloke. I've got fm, PCOS and underactive thyroid too and I've got a full black thick moustache and a small beard. It's ok, you can laugh grin It won't come out with wax and it won't come off with hair removal cream. I have to pluck each hair out with tweezers. But you can often see a shadow. combine that with a bald patch and it is hell on earth!

elisio1 Wed 19-Oct-11 19:25:12

Hecate, so sorry you have PCOS and extra facial hair as well. That must be a horrible combination. Have you looked into IPL hair removal?

Glad the Regaine is going well. Have been off it since TTC DS1 (now 4) and had another DS since, but plan to start it again soon.

As I said, Fullmore is the answer for me at the moment- have you tried it? My face shape would look awful with shaved head- o'wise I would do it straightaway. Good for you for taking the plunge!

Old bag- hope you find a good solution to this thinning hair curse!

Hoping science will find some answers soon. Seems so unfair that men can have a hair transplant, but apparently it doesn't work for women.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now