Talk

Advanced search

What foundation should I use?

(20 Posts)
bushymcbush Sat 15-Oct-11 16:18:02

I am 37. I have combination skin, very pale but with noticeable red acne scarring on my chin and cheeks. Therefore I have always gone for heavy coverage to hide the redness. But now I'm getting older, perhaps a heavy creamy foundation isn't the best option. And it never lasts well - if I apply it in the morning it's all but gone by 5pm.

Suggestions?

bushymcbush Sat 15-Oct-11 16:18:55

Should add, I'm not rich. No more than £15 please!

kumquatsareaposhfruit Sat 15-Oct-11 16:22:07

estee lauder double wear £30 but will last twice as long. It looks light but has excellent coverage.

QuinnFabray Sat 15-Oct-11 16:26:50

I'm 36 and have oily combination skin. My favourite is Vichy Dermablend, about £15 from Boots. I like the stick version best, blended out with a decent stippling foundation brush.

shoeprincess2 Sat 15-Oct-11 16:27:14

Lilylolo mineral powder foundation. Less than £15 a pot and fabulous coverage. Has been a god send for me- I am 35, oily skin with a few blemishes- covers them beautifully. If you go on their website, you can order sample pots for less than £1.50, to try and find the best colour for you. I won't use liquid foundation again.

ednurse Sat 15-Oct-11 16:34:00

Was also going to say Estee Lauder Double Wear. About £24 a bottle, lasts for AGES.

Gillybobs Sat 15-Oct-11 16:42:38

Estee Lauder DOuble Wear is unbeatable, and believe me Ive wasted a fortune trying everything! If you apply it with a brush you can concentrate coverage where its needed most. apply in the morning, you will need to remove it with cleanser at 10pm . I promise you. Some people find it too full coverage but if you apply it lightly with a brush its fine. If you find it too heavy for the less marked areas of your skin, mix a little foundation on the back of your hand with some moisturiser and apply to best areas of your face. Then apply "neat" product, with a brush, to the problem areas. AS others say, well worth the investment as you never need to reapply during the day. I think I pay £28 for it

bushymcbush Sat 15-Oct-11 16:52:34

What sort of a brush do you use for applying foundation? I've always used my fingers! blush

bushymcbush Sat 15-Oct-11 16:53:57

Oh, and do you apply powder over the Estee Lauder stuff? I always have in the past as it seems to look less shiny and makes it last longer.

Gillybobs Sat 15-Oct-11 16:58:42

I bought a foundation brush from Boots, just their own make, was maybe £6 or so but it lasts years, I wash it in mild shampoo every once in a while and mine going strong after about 4 years!

I find powder isnt strictly necessary but if I want to be extra matte I do powder my nose and chin

ballroomblitz Sat 15-Oct-11 17:04:47

I find the double wear very heavy and dry. I've started using Avon perfectwear after switching from Chanel. I've found it one of the few that's still there by the end of the day.

Littlepumpkinpie Sat 15-Oct-11 20:20:49

Another vote for double wear here. I paid £26 for mine back in August wear it everyday and hardly any of its gone from the bottle. Very impressed with it after years of using one that got discontinued I had to find another and this is so much better.

hermioneweasley Sat 15-Oct-11 20:25:33

You have to check out mineral foundations. There are a couple of threads in S&B extolling the benefits. I think the best one is called "bare escentuals is the work of the devil". I've got oily and spotty skin and have used a huge range of liquid foundations, including double wear. I will never use liquid foundations again after trying minerals. I have samples of BE and lilylolo. LL is cheaper and seems to be just as good.

Urging you to try it out!

CMOTdibbler Sat 15-Oct-11 20:44:42

If you use a liquid foundation, get a stipple brush from ELF. Tis amazing - someone on here said about using one, and it really makes a difference. I looked totally airbrushed, no sticking in lines, and it stayed on a full 10 hours even in a humid and hot place (I was at a conference in Miami when I first used it). Really easy to change the coverage too

bushymcbush Sat 15-Oct-11 22:02:57

What is ELF please?

[stupid emoticon]

wandawings Sat 15-Oct-11 23:44:13

Eyes Lips Face

PumpkinIroning Sun 16-Oct-11 15:46:07

Clinique 'Redness Solutions' is brilliant. I think it cost about £20,but a little goes a long way.

ggirl Sun 16-Oct-11 15:59:07

A good cheap one is Revlon colourstay liquid ,it's about £12.99 .Stayed on me for as long as Estee DW if not a bit longer BUT for better lasting I recommend a mineral makeup , a recent revelation for lots of mumsnetters as the staying power is amazing and you can have as much coverage as you want ,just add a touch more to the areas you need to cover.

Also Bare Minerals will give you free sample if you mention mumsnet atm

emsyj Sun 16-Oct-11 16:51:33

I've got a fantastic stippling brush from makeupgeek.com - it works out about £20 including shipping, but it gives the most flawless finish.

I haven't used Double Wear for years, I didn't like it when I was younger as it is not easy to blend and is quite heavy, but might try it again. They also do a lighter version now which is worth a look.

thepureemporia Thu 20-Oct-11 15:42:28

Try mineral foundation. It is more expensive but it should last longer. Normal foundations can clog your skin making your issues worse. Mineral ones lets it breath. There are many out there: Nvey, jane iredale, Bare escentuals

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now