Talk

Advanced search

I need new foundation and eyelinery stuff. i am bad at this. help

(25 Posts)
NormaSatansFelcher Fri 14-Oct-11 21:53:27

Am 41. Greasy skin if anything. Want to look 20 natural

Help me oh gurus

Trills Fri 14-Oct-11 21:55:03

Bobbi brown gel eyelinery stuff is the best eyelinery stuff.

They're going to say something about bare minerals for foundation you know...

NormaSatansFelcher Fri 14-Oct-11 21:58:32

I know. Isn't it all a bit, well, powdery? Makes me think of granny

Havingkittens Fri 14-Oct-11 22:03:41

I recommend Laura Mercier Oil Free tinted moisturiser if you want to look natural. It has enough coverage to even out skin tone but is not heavy looking so very flattering on 40ish skin (I'm 41 too and find it to be one of the most flattering bases on my older skin). You can use a bit of powder on top if you want it more matte.

FrenchLimeBlossom Fri 14-Oct-11 22:13:42

I'd second the recommendation for Bobbi Brown - why not go along and get a makeover at the counter - they're usually really helpful and the products are lovely.

I used to use Bare Escentuals which was initially AMAZING but i found it was making my skin quite dry after a couple of years' use and felt as though i had quite a bit of makeup on. Now am using Bobbi Brown tinted moisturiser and my skin feels lighter and i've been getting compliments on how fresh I look! at 35 with an 11 month old DS that is not to be sniffed at!

NormaSatansFelcher Fri 14-Oct-11 22:27:47

Thank you thank you for suggestions. Looks like a lunch time wander to regent street (sure I saw bobby brown there)

NormaSatansFelcher Fri 14-Oct-11 22:29:02

What the fuck would I do without MN?

weevilswobble Fri 14-Oct-11 22:30:42

I'm 42, and i'm currently using Boots protect and perfect foundation. It gives coverage, but looks natural, plus it has anti wrinkley stuff in it too. I use the serum first. Bit of mascara, touch of blusher and a nice lippy with lipgloss on top. I think glossy lips look young! grin

weevilswobble Fri 14-Oct-11 22:32:48

Lunch time wonder to Regent Street? envyhmm Oooo v jealous! (used to work at Liberty)

whojimmyflip Fri 14-Oct-11 22:34:38

Laura M oil free tinted moisturiser as per kittens

Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner (in brown not black ) as per Trills

Havingkittens Fri 14-Oct-11 23:11:24

BB have counters in most of the department stores on Oxford St. Can't remember if LM do but if not you can find it in Liberty's.

NormaSatansFelcher Sat 15-Oct-11 07:46:40

Nobody has recomended bare minerals shock

whojimmyflip Sat 15-Oct-11 08:03:51

I would recommend Lily Lolo but you can't get in the west end, only online...

I don't think BAre Escentuals is that great, it is overpriced and not a true mineral makeup - the people who work on the counters are called Ambassadors which is just too much. There is a mineral counter in House of Fraser who refused to listen to me when I said the base was full of sparkle even though it was sparkling in front of our eyes! They are just doing a job but the job is to sell at all costs ( I found) anyway, tangent!

If your skin is greasy and you go for Laura M use the primer as well ( there are a few but the basic one is the best).

I use oil free tint moisturiser because I like the very subtle effect it has and I don't like wearing a full on base. I use Lily Lolo for extra coverage in the evenings or if I have a bad skin day. It is a powder so looks powdery but it is really effective as a base that doesn't make your skin feel caked. My skin is oily and it works really well to take out the shine but doesn't leave me overly matte.

whojimmyflip Sat 15-Oct-11 08:08:18

i mean it looks powdery for a second and then it sort of settles and works with your skin's natural oils rather than sitting on top of your skin like the traditional setting powders ( which are basically finely milled talc).

scootergal Sat 15-Oct-11 08:25:14

Another for the LM oil free tinted.
They have a nice liner set thingy too they attempted to flog to me recently ... Might be worth a looksee!

NormaSatansFelcher Sat 15-Oct-11 11:08:31

Am going to check out all of these online, then go to house of Fraser or similar. Thank you for all the suggestions.

Lancome or Urban Decay do the best eyeliners imho, although Clinique good too.

I'm using Bare Minerals foundation, which I rate but think it might be too drying for winter, so may go back to Max Factor for a while.

Granard Sat 15-Oct-11 12:33:43

Hi, Eclat Opulent (By Terry) is a lovely foundation. Very natural, looks like you're not wearing any but have very good skin. Expensive (outrageously so!) but would never go back to the others now. You'll get it in Space NK.

dingdong3 Sat 15-Oct-11 16:05:06

In this month's Red magazine there were two sachets stuck inside. One for a Clinique anti age foundation and one was a Revlon anti age foundation.
Have tried both this week and am really impressed with both..good coverage, nice luminosity and good staying power.

I have struggled for years to find a great foundation. Don't like the mineral stuff. Had good success with Bobbi Brown luminous but it's not easy for me to get to House of Fraser and it would be great to find a foundation I can pick up at Boots and get points and freebies with.

So worth picking up a Red to try both of these. Will only cost you a couple of quid and you'll get a good read too!

Can't help on the eyeliner...I just use whatever freebies come with Lancome/Clinique gifts with purchase.

kumquatsareaposhfruit Sat 15-Oct-11 16:11:58

I have started using estee lauder's double wear and am very happy with it. I am 40 with crap, spotty, oily skin. It lasts twice the time on my greasy face that any others do. It has very good coverage. I believe they do a more sheer version of it too. Go to the counter and ask for some samples.

I don't wear eyeliner (I run a quick brush of my eyeshadow under my eyes) but if I did I would use Benefit's Bad Gal eyeliner. It looks really nice. Very smudgeable.

PinotScreechio Sat 15-Oct-11 16:14:25

What whojimmyflip said.

Havingkittens Sat 15-Oct-11 16:49:31

Sorry to disagree but BadGal liner is bloody awful stuff. I got one free with a magazine a while back and was so glad I hadn't paid for it. If you want a pencil eyeliner the best ones I've found so far are Jemma Kidd or Chanel.

Geordieminx Sat 15-Oct-11 17:11:25

Bobbi brown for both. Gel eyeliner and skin foundation

valiumredhead Sat 15-Oct-11 17:49:53

Go to the SHEEP thread -lots of advice there - PAGES to read grin

dustwhatdust Sun 16-Oct-11 13:48:03

Well I used to use Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser years ago when i was rich and working !

Over the years tried different ones including Bare Escentuals (- which i find a bit of an effort ) but just when i was trying to justify the £39 LM one I decided to try the new garnier BB cream .
Just launched and i love it similar to LM , goes on really smoothly and gives an airbrushed effect and you don't need moisturiser and i find i don't even need concealer either !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now