Talk

Advanced search

I like this Lands End Dress: is the the start of frumpitude?

(19 Posts)
blackcurrants Fri 14-Oct-11 15:04:55

I am a bit scared of you stylish ladies with your razor-sharp insight, but I do think you have good judgement, so here goes...

What do people think of this dress? Probably in the purple or the green - I've recently had my colours done and am a 'bright winter' so trying to use deep, saturated colours- I've noticed it does make my skin look better.

I need to overhaul my work wardrobe, post-baby. I teach in a University and want a nice jersey-ish dress that I can pair with boots and some good earrings, but isn't (1) so fitted it rides up my bum when I write on the board or (2) so low I give my students an eyeful. I'm a G cup so that does rather matter. I have a 5 year old Bravissimo faux-wrap dress that works wonders, and have been looking out for another one. I'm a UK 16-18 at the moment, and 14-16 when I work out regularly. I thought this dress has quite good 'add a scarf and feel dressy' potential, but am wavering as I haven't spent a lot of cash on clothes for ages, and am second-guessing myself.
Your thoughts?

blackcurrants Fri 14-Oct-11 15:05:24

Ugh, I just saw my title. "Is THIS the start of frumpitude?" .. ugh, the shame!

LittleChiefRunnyCustard Fri 14-Oct-11 15:09:18

I have that dress in purple and I love it - i have cool winter colouring too and it is a really good colour on me. The neckline is higher than most jersey dresses around at the moment. I am an F cup and there is plenty room. I wear mine with scarf and long boots. Great quality fabric too.

blackcurrants Fri 14-Oct-11 15:18:47

Ooh little chief you have just made my day! Do you need a slip under it?

[eyes credit card]

FetchezLaVache Fri 14-Oct-11 15:21:04

Don't apologise- I rather like the word "frumpitude" and may start applying it to myself!

I like that dress, FWIW, but I don't think it works with the boots in the picture.

MadameBoo Fri 14-Oct-11 15:22:42

I like this one. Is that frumpy?

FetchezLaVache Fri 14-Oct-11 15:25:14

No, I think that's really cute! Bet I could make it look frumpy, though.

LittleChiefRunnyCustard Fri 14-Oct-11 15:25:46

Nope - not clingy at all.

Sizing comes up huge though - I am usually a 12 and the size S fits easily.

blackcurrants Fri 14-Oct-11 15:30:44

Yes, I don't like the boots there. But I think it might work with these in black. Which I also haven't ordered yet. I had to chuck ALL MY SHOES after DS was born, my feet are a size bigger AND now wide. Damnit. Lots of shopping opportunities, but also lots of chances for fraught "Will that make me look pregnant?" mental conversations.

mathanxiety Fri 14-Oct-11 15:31:18

I like it. It has a nice cut/waistline, and the colours are attractive. I would go with the purple/amethyst just because it's dark enough to maybe look like another dress altogether if you were to add a scarf. But the green is a really nice shade too.

Lands End washes well so colour and seams should last (oh how insanely practical I am getting in my dotage).

blackcurrants Fri 14-Oct-11 15:32:35

Madame I like that one too! But in that colour I would look not only frumpy, but a bag lady to boot. ooh, I'd like to try it on, though, it looks like it could touch in all the right places and none of the wrong'uns.

Thanks for that notes on the sizing, LittleChief - I am trying to decide between two sizes, maybe I should size down. I'm tired of hiding in baggy clothes, even if I've not lost all the weight yet, I'm just tired of it!

blackcurrants Fri 14-Oct-11 15:35:07

math grin I think about that stuff all the time, I think I was born aged about 50 years old. my 'work from home' uniform tends to involve jeans and their long sleeved tshirts because they don't fade and are nice thick fabric and have good colours and god even as I list these properties I realise I sound like my mother... but I'd sooner buy their stuff in the sale and have it keep it's shape for a few years than buy cheaper shirts and toss them out.... oh god it's her again!

MadameBoo Fri 14-Oct-11 17:13:34

I'm going to try it on Currants, but I agree about the colour - it might make me look a bit washed out!

blackcurrants Fri 14-Oct-11 18:23:22

Well I've ordered it in 2 colours and 2 sizes, because I can return it to a shop near here, so I'll see what it's like when it arrives. I also ordered a big warm winter coat and some other stuff, so wardrobe overhaul well underway!
Basically I am trying to make a work 'uniform' so it's very simple to get up in the morning. So far my list is: black pencil skirt, lots of tops and cardigans, boots, black/grey wool trousers, dresses. I think that'll see me right till the january sales, at least.

blackcurrants Fri 21-Oct-11 13:07:31

Happy update: dress not at ALL leading to frumpitude. DH's response when I tried it on was, in face, "Oh that's really nice on you... you should keep it on till DS is asleep..."

grin unexpected result for a 'work' purchase. Win! grin

LittleChiefRunnyCustard Fri 21-Oct-11 13:10:17

Yay - which colour did you go for in the end?

LesserOfTwoWeevils Fri 21-Oct-11 13:11:25

It's lovely, classic and a perfect colour for a winter, and you can wear it with lots of different accessories/colours to vary the look.

Bunbaker Fri 21-Oct-11 13:13:56

Ooh! I really like that dress. It is my birthday soon and OH doesn't know what to buy me.

blackcurrants Fri 21-Oct-11 14:20:58

I tried the green which was nice, but kept the amethyst purple which is lovely. I am contemplating trying on the wine colour too. . it is a great flattering fit, really easy to wear, too. And littlechief was right, the sizing is v. generous. I wear xl in most of their tops but the L fits without clinging.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now