Talk

Advanced search

Black shoes for wedding - verdict

(16 Posts)
vanillacinamon Fri 14-Oct-11 14:15:36

Desperately short of cash but even shorter of any decent clothes for any formal occasion (without exaggeration)
Have spent the last 3 weeks racing round every single charity shop in every location I have found myself in praying to find a pair of black high heels suitable to go with the reduced price dress i have bought myself, today was the last straw, nothing suitable, everything wrong size and/or horrible
Bought myself these
[http://www.johnlewis.com/Shopping/Product.aspx?Type=SKU&Id=231287332]
Please give me your honest opinion. I wanted something I can wear again as I seriously don't remember ever paying anything like this amount of money for a pair of shoes and not sure what they will be like when they arrive.
The dress is this although I got it half price as it was damaged, it fits me well and looks better on than in the picture.
[http://www.phase-eight.co.uk/fcp/product/warehouse/Dresses/Pleated-Jersey-Dress/201515548]
thanks

wahwahwah Fri 14-Oct-11 14:17:44

Looks lovely - did you get the dress in black? May be a bit funerial unlyss you have a red hat or something!

TobyLeWolef Fri 14-Oct-11 14:20:16

Those shoes are a bargain.

The dress is nice, although not something I could wear because I am not a size 8 envy

vanillacinamon Fri 14-Oct-11 14:20:23

i got the dress in "forest green" - sounds odd but apparently it suits my colouring and it does fit well
sorry about not doing the links properly hope you can see the shoes ok
the heels look very high to me although they didnt specify the exact height on the john lewis website - i have some but not much experience in walking in heels
thanks for your post

wahwahwah Fri 14-Oct-11 14:21:35

I loooooveee green. You will look fab (love the style). We want to see photos!

vanillacinamon Fri 14-Oct-11 14:21:53

toby thank you for telling me you think it is a bargain
at least it is apparently good value if i end up regretting spending money i dont have!!

HettyAmaretti Fri 14-Oct-11 14:24:40

Excellent choices and definitely bargainous.

(Would love to see photos too wink)

vanillacinamon Fri 14-Oct-11 14:26:29

thanks hetty
you guys are great thank you for positive votes
i feel more confident now

HettyAmaretti Fri 14-Oct-11 14:29:12

Do practice walking in the shoes loads, first with thick socks on and then with vaseline on anywhere they rub. Head up, back straight and remember to unbend your knees between steps. You'll be fine.

vanillacinamon Fri 14-Oct-11 14:33:10

thanks hetty - you sound like you know what you are talking about which is exactly what i need. i am a bit of a heels novice . i will definitely practice otherwise the shoes might get the attention for all the wrong reasons......

HettyAmaretti Fri 14-Oct-11 14:35:21

lol, no, I have very wide feet and despite a lifetime of searching I've never found a real pair of heels that don't (literally) make my feet bleed.

I have had a lot of practice though, even if it was all in vain.

wahwahwah Fri 14-Oct-11 14:57:46

Don't forget to score the soles before you walk in them or you will slip and fall on your bum!

Trills Fri 14-Oct-11 15:01:47

For links you either do two [[ thingys either side of the link, or just click the box that says "convert links automatically".

Shoes look nice although I am not very good with narrow heels.

vanillacinamon Fri 14-Oct-11 15:11:33

thanks Hetty
i also have wide feet and am a bit nervous these will require a bit of breaking in so will be doing that - hopefully apart from bits of the ceremony there will be a fair percentage of the time to sit down, not sure about dancing later in the evening...
i will score the soles before walking in them, thanks for this tip
what tights to get i wonder. i have some "slightly shiny" kate middleton style things but not sure whether these are on trend or a bit frowned on. black translucent tights might seem a bit too winter especially with a dark green dress - the ceremony is on monday 24 oct.
god i am pants at all of this, have asked hubby if i can back out but he says no and i know that is pathetic so just have to get it right and go for it and hopefully enjoy it. out of practice with attending weddings, the last one i went to must be about 10 years ago

wahwahwah Fri 14-Oct-11 17:40:45

Go and have fun! You will look a million dollars and feel very glam! Not sure about the tights-etiquette though. I prefer a slight sheen (dont care if its not 'right'!)

vanillacinamon Mon 17-Oct-11 07:20:33

thanks wahwah - all of you posters have really helped me thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now