Talk

Advanced search

Chunky legs: which boot length/style works best?

(8 Posts)
LaTristesse Thu 13-Oct-11 20:45:10

I'm looking to wear boots this winter with tights and dress / skirt, leggings or straight jeans and am wondering which works best - ankle, mid-calf or knee length? My legs are pretty chunky from top to bottom although my ankles aren't too bad...! Any thoughts? smile

prioneyes Thu 13-Oct-11 20:49:37

I think knee length, although if they are shapely and proportionate and you have the vital confidence then any style can look good.

Disclaimer: am clueless, stumbled in here from Active Convos by accident.

sprinkles77 Thu 13-Oct-11 21:45:24

depends on what fits really! There are some knee length boots that won't go near me. I think real ankle length ones look a bit odd with skirts, better long or calf length. I have some nice brown biker boots, they stop sort of between ankle and mid calf. They're very useful as I can tuck leggings / skinny jeans in, or wear boot leg jeans over them. And I think they are good with a dress or skirt. Today I wore them with petrol blue opaque tights and a black knitted jumper dress. I am not skinny or tall, and I was happy with how I looked.

LaTristesse Mon 17-Oct-11 14:23:57

Thanks ladies (love your disclaimer prioneyes)!

I've gone for mid calf, although might go and try a few knee lengths on to see how I feel.

chandellina Mon 17-Oct-11 20:18:05

i think either low ankle boots, so that the ankle is actually still exposed, or knee-high boots - but they must actually go up to the knee rather than cut off the leg two or three inches below it. i really don't think mid-calf can look good - you are chopping your leg up at the point where it widens but it all depends on the leg and the boot.

ujjayi Mon 17-Oct-11 20:40:02

mid-calf work well as long as your tights/trousers are the same colour as the boots. I have black mid-calf biker boots which look fab with black trousers or opaques but make my legs look short and dumpy when worn with blue jeans. I can just about get away with them together with charcoal tights though.

I have legs which are <<ahem>> athletic......and after years of not wearing boots I now have them in most styles - shoe boots, ankle boots, knee highs and mid-calf and wear them all with skirts and trousers. There does come a time when you have to say "sod it, I want to wear them anyway" and a good pair of opaques can do wonders to elongate and shape the leg.

Agree with Chandellina that you need a knee high which finishes at the narrowest part of the top of your calf/just below the knee - it will give your legs more definition than a slightly lower knee high. And an ankle boot which is slightly wider than your ankle (as opposed to close fitting) will give the illusion of narrower lower leg too.

teta Mon 17-Oct-11 23:02:56

Over the knee boots from Duo with a square chunky heel.I am 5 ft 3 and these elongate my legs better than anything else.But they can only be worn with leggings and tights -not jeans.

LaTristesse Tue 18-Oct-11 07:12:42

Mm, on close inspection it appears that my leg doesn't narrow slightly below the knee! Pretty much all one thickness, which I guess is what's causing the trouble!

I'll see how i get on with the mid-calf ones, I agree it does seem counter-intuitive to cut the leg off at the widest part, but they did seem to look ok in the shop!

Really don't think over the knee would suit; I can see myself waddling about with my legs apart looking like I'm wearing waders, or worse soiled myself! Interesting to know they work for some though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now