Talk

Advanced search

Leaving the UK - What's on your list?!

(4 Posts)
Ouchywawa Thu 13-Oct-11 14:08:17

This is theoretical at this stage but could change in the very near future...

If you were leaving the UK for the other side of the world, what (if anything) would you buy style-wise on the basis that it would be either hard to obtain or relatively expensive elsewhere?

At the moment I am thinking about an amazing winter coat from, say, Burberry or Max Mara. Could be foolish given that winter in the southern hemisphere is not the same as here! I have some lovely handbags already (although could be persuaded on more), not so well-endowed with shoes though nor 'classic' fashion items or investment pieces.

Any thoughts?

Crosses fingers that this does not become a 'no replies' thread

Angel786 Thu 13-Oct-11 15:33:47

Is it a permanent leave and where to? Those factors would determine what I take...

Sounds like SA / Aus / NZ from your post so I guess typical British brands like Burberry (if you can afford it) would be a great investment. Matthew Williamson dreses are divine and I'm a sucker for MQueen / Stella Mccartney shoes.

I hasten to add I am strikethrough: tight careful with money so only ever buy these things on sale before I'm accused of stealth boasting or whatevs the MN terminology is!

Ouchywawa Thu 13-Oct-11 16:38:13

Yes, Australia and potentially permanent.

In theory this could be a 'money is no object' exercise but I am also thinking about more affordable items. Lots of M&S knickers?! I find clothes quite expensive in Australia now, although Zara has opened recently...

It could be a good excuse to buy some high street clothes on the basis that no one else will be wearing them.

I am very (unashamedly) tight as well but this could be a once-off and I feel I should take advantage!

Angel786 Thu 13-Oct-11 21:08:21

Underwear is always a good one as I'm quite particular about that too! I don't think Topshop has opened there yet (due to open at end of the year). I've sold some Reiss stuff on ebay to Oz too so I'm guessing that is more expensive there?

When my sister comes back from the Middle East she tends to stock up on Zara, H&M, Topshop. They do have some of those stores there but more expensive.

But above all, don't forget the essentials (tea, chocolate and good biscuits!)...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now