Talk

Advanced search

knitted dresses - what colour of tights?

(15 Posts)
wickedfairy Thu 13-Oct-11 13:48:58

Hello ladies - I am hoping you stylish people can help me!!

I have just bought two knitted dresses in the sale - one is charcoal and the other one is a light navy.

What colour of tights do I wear with them please?

I am jeans girl and I am sick of constantly wearing them, so I am trying to branch out and look a bit more feminine. The dresses are casual ones (fat face, please don't shoot me!) and I am not sure what to do with my legs!!

Thanks in advance smile

cheekeymonster Thu 13-Oct-11 14:10:57

Coloured tights are mahoosive this season. You could buy them to match.
I personally always match my tights to my footwear as need the illusion of longer legs IYSWIM?

LadyClariceCannockMonty Thu 13-Oct-11 17:34:54

Pale grey would be nice with those colours if you want a neutral but not matchy-matchy look. I have these in Wild Dove; I think it's a lovely colour.

If you'd prefer to go bold, then how about this colour or a hot pink for the charcoal dress, and perhaps mustard for the navy?

ujjayi Thu 13-Oct-11 17:36:22

I agree with cheekeymonster. I need every leg lengthening trick I can muster smile. You could try contrasting tights though if that isn't an issue for you.

With charcoal and navy, I would wear:

purple
plum
magenta
navy
black
charcoal grey (got a great pair from Matalan last year)
red
dark brown

Methe Thu 13-Oct-11 17:38:34

Any colour you like!

I wore purple one with a navy knitted dress last year and got compliments.

I cannot wait to crack out the knitted tights again grin

dexter73 Thu 13-Oct-11 19:09:39

I have just got these to go with my grey and navy jumper dresses.

sprinkles77 Thu 13-Oct-11 21:50:54

i have these. They are fab and flattering. You could wear any colour you fancy. I personally would avoid black with the navy dress. I like purple, fuschia and petrol. Just make sure that they are properly opaque.

ujjayi Thu 13-Oct-11 23:53:36

Dexter - love those tights from Next.

sprinkles - I always used to think you couldn't mix black with navy but started doing so a couple of years ago (as encouraged by this very board wink ) and wear it a lot now. However, I think the winter months are dreary enough (aside from sparkling snow and those rare crisp sunny days) so I like to inject a lot of colour into my winter wardrobe and therefore the brights with navy and charcoal would definitely be my go-to.

ASuitableGirl Fri 14-Oct-11 00:58:47

I like purple tights smile

wickedfairy Fri 14-Oct-11 08:55:00

Thank you for all the ideas!!

I love the look of the magenta tights from next and purple tights also sounds great - I was thinking maybe knitted tights, rather than the 70-denier type though? I really prefer thick tights.... Do you think that would be too much wool?

What about shoes/boots then? I have nice mid-calf boots - slightly biker style. Do you think that would look ok? I don't really wear heel-y type shoes, as prefer flats. Or should I get a nice pair of flat pumps instead?

I thank you for your help - really, I should not be allowed to dress myself!

shelley72 Fri 14-Oct-11 09:13:18

sorry to gatecrash but was it the devier knit dress you ordered? had my eye on them saw in the sale so thought i would order to try but they are awfully short? i too am struggling to work out what to do with them!

ujjayi Fri 14-Oct-11 11:57:53

wickedfairy - I wear either cotton or wool tights with wool dresses and just find it nice and cosy on very cold days. The 70-denier types don't do it for me on really cold days and I don't like the feel either.

Check out your local TK Maxx for great coloured knit tights. I bought a few pairs from there last year - don't remember which brand - but they were bargainous and really vivid bright colours which haven't faded with wash.

ujjayi Fri 14-Oct-11 12:00:09

oh and re: footwear. I wear all kinds - ballet pumps, calf boots, knee high boots and ankle boots. Love wearing my Uggs on really cold days too - check out Hush for some lovely ideas on layering knitted dresses/tights/boots etc.

wickedfairy Fri 14-Oct-11 13:22:44

Shelley72 - no, it wasn't the devier dress - that one wasn't in the shop I was in. I like that dress to, but it is fairly similar to the ones I have. Not at home just now, so unsure of the name. It is about knee length, v-neck and with a crochet panel across the back of the shoulders.

Will take a look when I get in and let you know - can't see it on the website, I got mine in John Lewis.

switchtvoffdosomelessboring Fri 14-Oct-11 14:51:55

I have bought a couple of pairs of coloured tights but they all make my knees look, well very odd and fat.

Is it just my odd fat knees, or is it the tights at fault?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now