Advanced search

Fed up with rubbish skin how do I find a good dermatologist?

(8 Posts)
hatcam Thu 13-Oct-11 11:15:34

I'm fed up with my rubbish skin. I still (late 30s) get total humdinger hormonal spots, really painful big lump spots, hard to cover and usually leaving nasty scars.

Overall my skin is quite dry though I think.Have very healthy diet, tons of exercise and drink gallons of water.

Use dermalogica products, fairly straightforward regime a my skin seems to get out of sorts really easily.

I know it's vain, but hell - it's making me glum and I'd rather not be worrying about it and hiding away while I've got hideous big spots.

So, how do I find a good dermatologist, how much can I expect to fork out? I haven't seen my gp as I think they've got proper sick people to sort out not vain spotty types like me, in don't expect much sympathy.

Any advice/recommendations (I am in Berkshire)?

Whizkidwithacrazystreak Thu 13-Oct-11 17:47:54

You should try your GP first as he could prescribe some topical cream or even the pill that often provides great results for hormone related breakouts. Sadly, not all great drugs are available through NHS, so I hope you do find a great dermatologist and if need be, go private.

hatcam Fri 14-Oct-11 18:44:40

Thank you, Am thinking of trying the gp, just feel like I shouldn't bother them with something vain - and can't imagine they'd be very helpful, have never had much luck with the doctor here and avoid going at all costs. Last time I saw a doctor for me was after I had my 2nd baby, so nearly 3 years ago!

If I did decide just to go directly to a dermatologist/skin clinic - for instance if I also wanted to address the scarring that I've got, how do I find a good one?

gingerbubs Fri 14-Oct-11 18:48:16

Just to say I used to be a GP and this would be a totally normal and very reasonable thing to go with. And there are several things you can try. Can't help much with dermatologist but if you call your local private hospital they'll help you I'm sure.

Casmama Fri 14-Oct-11 18:49:44

Sorry can't help with the dermatologist but there are a lot of things that the GPs can prescribe including antibiotics that could really help. Once your skin has cleared up you are perhaps in a better position to see what else if anything you want to do to improve it.
Plenty of people are total bloody malingerers at the GPs so I would very much doubt that they would judge you going along for the first time in 3 years with something that is distressing you.

notnowImreading Fri 14-Oct-11 18:52:33

Ask your GP for zinerit in the first instance - it's quite a mild antibiotic with zinc to help it heal up. My skin was just as yours sounds and has now been clear for 8 months.

hatcam Fri 14-Oct-11 18:53:26

Thanks gingerbubs, really? I usually try and wait until imminent collapse (or pregnancy) before going!

gingerbubs Fri 14-Oct-11 18:56:36

Really! Probably does depend on the GP but most will a) be very sympathetic and try to help and b) be bloody glad you're not coming in with a list of 12 things wanting them all sorted immediately

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: