Talk

Advanced search

Big black bag needed that will last me years (am fussy) - help?!

(23 Posts)
louloubellamozzarella Thu 13-Oct-11 11:03:16

I'm looking for a tote style bag big enough for everyday use - work and casual if possible (I don't work in a very smart office).

Would prefer non-leather, but hate cheap looking plastic imitation leather. Fabric ok but nothing too canvas/hemp-looking.

Fairly plain style preferred - loads of buckles/studs etc a no no. Handle has to fit under arm. Lots of pockets good.

Happy to spend up to around £100 if I find one I love. Have had a look around but can't see anything I like. Help! My current bag is a beigy-pink summer one and looks ridiculous with my wintery clothes.

madammecholet Thu 13-Oct-11 13:20:16

Here are some...

matt and nat ethical bags

matt and nat site

yoox

yoox

yoox

oasis

clarks

mischa

louloubellamozzarella Thu 13-Oct-11 14:47:05

Thanks for those madame, like the look of Matt and Nat. Will have another gander this eve. Any other suggestions warmly welcomed too. Everything seems to be leather at the moment!

Jessicaalbastwin Thu 13-Oct-11 14:52:44

Have you tried fiorelli? I have never bought a bag from there, but they do non leather handbags.

polyhymnia Thu 13-Oct-11 15:01:22

Kipling are probably worth a look.

madammecholet Thu 13-Oct-11 16:12:15

Look at Longchamps too, le Pliage may suit..longchamps

teejwood Thu 13-Oct-11 16:41:16

loulou is avoiding leather a conscience thing (ie not wanting a bag made of leather from an animal that has been killed just for its hide) or a vegetarian thing (sorry poorly worded but hopefully you know what i mean)? If the former you could also look at brands that use leather that is a by-product of other industries, like this from the fashion conscience website?

in terms of proper vegan bags, though, i would second matt & nat (have a few of theirs already and am having to resist MmeCholet's amazon link with the 20% off <cough>) and longchamps

polyhymnia Thu 13-Oct-11 17:03:12

Yes, I do keep coming back to my Longchamps pliages (have a few versions) - so light and easy to carry.

Whizkidwithacrazystreak Thu 13-Oct-11 17:40:28

The Il Tutto Nico in black is amazing. Don't be discouraged with the size in the photo as mine has relaxed and collapsed beautifully. The lining has loads of pockets and you can even remove it if you don't need the pockets (ie use as an overnight bag, great for travelling). It's a patent PVC but just a little over your budget.

www.mummyandlittleme.co.uk/il-tutto-baby-changing-bags-3478-0/il-tutto-nico-black-changing-bag-3486-0.html

madammecholet Thu 13-Oct-11 17:58:25

Erm Whizkidwithacrazystreak she wanted a plain looking work bag, not a changing bag with teddies hanging off it...confused

louloubellamozzarella Thu 13-Oct-11 18:07:19

biscuit

Thanks anyway whizkid smile

polyhymnia I thought kipling bags were all about monkeys but there's some nice ones there to consider actually.

teej it's a mix of the two really. I am veggie and the thought of leather icks me out a bit (although I'm a total hypocrite as have been veggie forever but still have a few leather pairs of shoes). Now that there's a lot more choice with non-leather stuff I'm making a conscious move towards avoiding it so wouldn't want to buy any kind of leather really.

Le pliage looks nice but I'm not a big fan personally of the tan/black combo (told you I was fussy!) Thanks for the suggestions though, keep em coming!

Whizkidwithacrazystreak Thu 13-Oct-11 18:09:22

I don't use mine as change bag and I easily removed the teddy! I love this bag and just wanted to share it.

louloubellamozzarella Thu 13-Oct-11 18:16:10

I hope I didn't come across as nasty, it is a nice bag so thanks for sharing, although it's probably a little over my budget sad

I've been looking at Matt and Nat bag, be interested to know what anyone thinks about this one

polyhymnia Thu 13-Oct-11 18:20:03

loulou - know what you mean about the monkeys but I've had several useful and not too boring Kipling bags in my time. I do always take the monkeys off though ...

madammecholet Thu 13-Oct-11 19:03:05

I think you can get arrested for throwing Monkeys away polyhymnia gringrin Love the Matt and Nic Epea louLou, really classic shape.

louloubellamozzarella Thu 13-Oct-11 21:17:16

Poor monkeys. I always wondered why they bothered with them for perfectly nice adult bags. They remind me of the foreign students I used to teach who all had kipling rucksacks with the little fluffy monkeys on.

Anyway I digress... I shall dither for a few days probably then make my mind up. Will look again at some fiorelli and kipling bags too. Thanks for your help ladies smile

madammecholet Thu 13-Oct-11 22:23:22

I know, don't even get me started on the Radley mutt dog dangly thing...........shock

polyhymnia Thu 13-Oct-11 23:17:15

Ah well, I (irrationally, I admit) loathe Radley bags, so to me the dog is worse than the monkey ....

trixymalixy Thu 13-Oct-11 23:20:09

That mat and mat bag is lovely.

louloubellamozzarella Sun 16-Oct-11 17:54:25

Update - got swayed by this warehouse bag - with amazing 60% extra discount it was only £12 smile

If it does turn out to be crap I think I'll look again.

trixymalixy Sun 16-Oct-11 17:57:00

Bargain!! Like it.

louloubellamozzarella Sun 16-Oct-11 18:09:48

Thanks! Not wanting to encourage shopping but discovered a 60% off warhouse loophole this afternoon - details here smile

trixymalixy Sun 16-Oct-11 19:08:17

Oh God, have just bought loads. Thanks for the link!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now