Talk

Advanced search

This dress for work - too much?

(15 Posts)
sprogger Wed 12-Oct-11 13:14:43

I tried this on last night and really liked the fit. Even heavily reduced it's silk and on the pricey side, though - I can't justify it as an occasional wear dressing up dress, but I can justify it in my working wardrobe.

What do you think, S&B jury? Would this be Safe For Work if I wore it with a black blazer, black opaques and black ankle boots?

Silk dress

AKMD Wed 12-Oct-11 13:33:52

Looks fine to me. I love FWM. The clothes are actually cut for women...

sprogger Wed 12-Oct-11 14:30:07

That's what I liked about it, too. Room for norks and bottom, decent fit on the waist - all too rare!

AKMD Wed 12-Oct-11 14:32:06

Amazingly, all of his clothes that I've tried on have been like that. I'm also a size smaller in them than anywhere else grin

SolarPrestigeAGammon Wed 12-Oct-11 14:33:43

Sounds fine - apart from the black ankle boots (imo)

mollymole Wed 12-Oct-11 14:34:43

I love it !!!!
and am about to order it for myself - you have made me spend this.

LeBOF Wed 12-Oct-11 14:38:14

It looks like it would work, yes. I would wear long boots with it though, and maybe add some colour somewhere.

steben Wed 12-Oct-11 14:40:17

Agreed MollyMole I am about to do the same - DH will go mental!

LadyClariceCannockMonty Wed 12-Oct-11 14:43:11

I would absolutely wear this for work. Don't think you need to black it down quite so much either. In fact, with all black it might stand out more IYSWIM; I'd go for a jacket/blazer in a neutral (or, if your work isn't so formal, a chunky cardigan.)

sprogger Wed 12-Oct-11 15:01:34

Work isn't terribly formal, so I could pair it with a chunky cardigan. I have a very nice pale grey one that might serve nicely. Maybe with knee length, black high heeled boots? I need to get the soles on my tall black boots redone, but this could give me the push I need to take proper care of my earlier investments.

(Oooh, excited.)

LadyClariceCannockMonty Wed 12-Oct-11 15:18:26

I'd probably avoid black and grey with it altogether, but that's just me – I like clashing interesting contrasts of colours. It's quite monochrome as it is, so I reckon it could do with some warming up. I think brown/neutral boots would look the business with it, and a neutral chunky knit, something a bit like this – not so much for the style, but the colour. Or this?

In fact, if it were me, I'd go neutral cardigan and then shoes/boots in blue. Like these.

kplondon Wed 12-Oct-11 16:00:02

I think it's borderline too sexy and sassy for work. In the end, it is a form-fitting animal print dress - lovely but not quite work-appropriate unless you work in an "alternative" office.

sprogger Wed 12-Oct-11 18:28:41

Well, there are no suits in my office so we're probably fairly alternative. Alternative doesn't mean dressed-for-a-wedding-or-a-club through, which is what I was concerned about.

I like the blue shoes! A bit out of budget at the moment, though. I do have a pair of teal suede boots (LK Bennet sale, 2005) that might stand in, though.

Sleepwhenidie Wed 12-Oct-11 20:16:11

Gorgeous, would definitely go for it.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Thu 13-Oct-11 14:40:49

Teal suede boots sound A-MA-ZING (sorry, my inner Craig Revel Horwood just escaped a bit). I adore suede. In fact I may have to go and buy some suede shoes now ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now