Talk

Advanced search

Bikini wax 101

(11 Posts)
Makeyerowndamndinner Tue 11-Oct-11 21:19:48

Hello, I have booked myself in for a full leg and bikini wax next Monday as I have a rather hot date coming up - yippee!

I haven't had it done before and would like to know what to expect. As in how much does it hurt? Is it hugely undignified? And what do the different bikini 'styles' mean?

Thanks.

Fuckedupagain Tue 11-Oct-11 21:21:59

If you haven't had your legs done before then I wouldn't have them done before date, as they won't be smooth, as all the hairs are different lengths

Makeyerowndamndinner Tue 11-Oct-11 21:40:48

How come? Doesn't waxing just rip them out at the roots?

MrsHoolie Tue 11-Oct-11 22:02:47

Do the salon use strip wax or lycon hot wax(for bikini). Worth it as it's less painful than strip wax in intimate areas.
If it's just a regular bikini wax rather than a Brazilian then it won't be undignified!

Makeyerowndamndinner Tue 11-Oct-11 22:38:14

Well I was thinking of just having a thinnish 'landing strip' down the middle. Can you keep your knickers on for that?

stayforappledunking Tue 11-Oct-11 22:43:31

I have the bikini done. They give you a disposable thong. Its very dignified, there is no looking at your lady bits! Are you near your time of the month, if so take some paracetamol before hand as it can hurt a little more. One side tends to hurt a little more than the other. Your beautician should make sure you are helping hold the skin tight. I dont find it all that painful. I have a high bikini but she takes off the front too. and down the sides of the inside legs.

Makeyerowndamndinner Wed 12-Oct-11 16:15:27

Will have just finished my period when I go to get it done. Am definitely taking some painkillers before hand!

How long does it take for any sort of rash to calm down? Am getting waxed on the Monday - date isn't until the weekend.

stayforappledunking Wed 12-Oct-11 16:24:42

You will probably have blood spots and redness after its done, all normal. Lasts about a maximum of two days. Make sure the next couple of days after having it done that you exfoliate in that area, or you may get ingrowing hairs as it grows back in. Also with my first shot at waxing, because I had been shaving previous, the hairs were all at different stages. Waxing does rip out from the root yes, but only if the hairs are long enough, if not it will rip out the long ones and leave the tiny short ones. So you may not be as totally smooth as you would like or may notice some regrowth fairly quickly. They should pluck any missed hairs (that is actually sorer than the waxing for me!) but any tiny hairs they just cant get.

stayforappledunking Wed 12-Oct-11 16:25:39

With legs, for the same reasons of hair regrowth you might want to consider hair removal cream the day before, That literally melts all hair, long or short to skin level so you should be nice and smooth on the day.

Makeyerowndamndinner Wed 12-Oct-11 16:37:34

Ha - well it has been so long since I have considered the possibility of spending the night with anyone that I haven't bothered with any topiary since I don't know when! So no fears of some hairs being too short to wax!

I fear it will be more of a deforestation job!

stayforappledunking Wed 12-Oct-11 16:46:39

ahhhh, a hedge strimmer job then. If you are rather jungle like, you may want to trim yourself back a bit before you go along. Very long hair will hurt like hell!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now