Talk

Advanced search

If you had to put together a winter capsule wardrobe what would you buy? (Maternity or non)

(5 Posts)
NinkyNonker Tue 11-Oct-11 20:54:47

Well, despite only being 11 wks pregnant I am already showing...and the only downside to have lost so much weight after DD is that none of my maternity clothes from last time fit.

So I need to put together a small collection of bits to see me throug the winter. I'm specifically looking for maternity suggestions (though any are welcome!), but inspiration as much as anything.

I am a fairly casual dresser, but err on the smarter side of casual ideally. I like smartish jeans, neat polo necks, skirts/dresses, tunics with leggings etc. I don't really wear heels as I am tall and chase around after DD all day. I do try to look a little trendy as I am a fairly young looking 30 (haha) and am trying to keep out of the jeans/stretchy tee shirt rut I found myself in over the summer when my weigth was changing.

I am a size 14, tall with long legs which makes trouser shopping difficult...and I don't like my dresses/skirts too short as it makes me look leggy and a bit cheap. blush I don't have an enormous budget, think high street /high end high street mixed with cheapy where possible!

So oh stylish ones, what would you buy?

NinkyNonker Thu 13-Oct-11 08:26:57

Help meeeeeeeeeeeee!

CardiCorgi Thu 13-Oct-11 08:49:15

I'm not convinced that I am either stylish or beautiful but I thought I'd start the ball rolling.
By the end of my pregnancy my "capsule" wardrobe (i.e. things that I could still get into) consisted of:
black trousers, cream trousers, two pairs of jeans.
Purple JojoMamanbebe wrap top (it's a bit like the Isabella Oliver ones, but cheaper), pink double-layer effect long-sleeved t-shirt, black long-sleeved knot-top, a couple of cardigans and a couple of vest tops.
White wrap shirt for important meetings at work.

I don't know if giving you the brands would be much use - I live in Germany. More than half was bought of ebay; I'd never thought of buying clothes second-hand before but it made sense, everything was in excellent condition, some of it was overstock and hadn't even been worn.

stripeybump Thu 13-Oct-11 08:56:26

My uniform so far this autumn has been long ruched jersey Isabella Oliver tops over leggings with a long cardigan and a leopard scarf. Have been wearing ballet flats but now moved to long flat boots.

IO stuff is pricey but IMO worth it, it's lovely thick jersey that holds you in. It does sell well on eBay too afterwards.

I'd def invest in some nice flat tall boots, a couple of nice scarves and long cardigans. Simple jersey layering stuff with leggings or jeans, and you'll feel comfy and sleek.

I went for the leggings with dress/tunic when I was pregnant last winter and it worked really well for me. Much better than trying to keep maternity jeans up and tops pulled down which is largely what I wore when I was pregnant first time around.

I got some good leggings from FunMum.com, and then for knitted dresses etc I sized up in Sainsbury's and got several things for around the £15-20 mark. I did buy a few smarter bits - Crave and Mamalicious were both good for smartish casual dresses and tunics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now