Talk

Advanced search

How can I get rid of finger fat?

(26 Posts)
TracyK Tue 11-Oct-11 19:43:29

I really, really want one of these www.swarovski.com/Web_GB/en/892208/product/Nirvana_Tanzanite_Ring.html?CatalogCategoryName=0112 but they only have a 58. I've tried it on but too small and doesn't look like I could get it enlarged as the stone comes all the way round your finger iykwim.

NinjaSlipper Tue 11-Oct-11 19:44:28

oh thats beautiful!

dexter73 Tue 11-Oct-11 19:46:09

Lipo?

Allboxedin Tue 11-Oct-11 19:48:04

Start playing the piano smile

cyb Tue 11-Oct-11 19:51:25

That would annoy me- too fat all the way round

TracyK Tue 11-Oct-11 19:57:53

I don,t think I'd wear it all day. Just for posing and admiring it!!! It is v shiney!!
I've googled lipo for fingers but not come up with anything. I shall ask my doc next time I go for Botox.

dexter73 Tue 11-Oct-11 20:22:15

He could just suck a bit out with a syringe surely!

TracyK Tue 11-Oct-11 20:28:25

That's what I thought!

MurderBloodstabsandgore Tue 11-Oct-11 20:31:57

tie an elastic band round it until it withers.

Allboxedin Tue 11-Oct-11 20:41:42

Pml murder!

TattyDevine Tue 11-Oct-11 20:47:25

"Start playing the piano"

Nooo Allboxedin you can't "spot reduce" you know! Its like using petrol from one side of the petrol tank grin

I too have fat fingers, like a 10 pack of Tesco's Finest Cumberland Sausages. Not even Waitrose ones hmm

Imagine if you lost all your finger fat and then you had loose skin on your fingers that you had to tuck into your rings. Then you'd have to have a "finger tuck" or "fingeroplasty" on every finger, imagine that.

Or you could just find another ring I guess? grin

bethelbeth Tue 11-Oct-11 21:48:42

I can go one better actually, this is very well photographed it looks a lot more naff in real life because of the big ruddy loveheart in the middle.

But if multifaceted rings are your thing just choose a type of stone and type in ' Rose quartz multi faceted ring' (or Blue Goldstone or whatever... actually blue goldstone works really well!) and there will be plenty to choose from.

Also if you are a bit fat of finger I would recommend not getting a massive chunky band as they push all the fat up towards the knuckle and look a bit rubbish. On the other hand if it is too loose then you run the risk of losing it, smashing it or constantly having it twiddling around.

Consider a large faceted set stone instead www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BIG-Faceted-Midnight-Blue-Sunstone-925-SILVER-Ring-7-P-/370531828351

Also if you get a proper stone (like a quartz or whatnot) they are infinitely more durable than swarovski, are easier to replace and also don't get as dirty. They also stand up to hand washing and every day hand stuff.

Or ignore me completely, but that's what i'd tell one of my customers grin

SnapesOnAPlane Tue 11-Oct-11 22:00:39

best thread title I've seen all week grin.
I don't think you can get rid of finger fat, but you could ring Blue Nile and see if they'd do a custom ring like that - might be cheaper than finger lipo.

TracyK Tue 11-Oct-11 22:00:56

Thanks bethel. I have been coveting a smokey quartz ring I saw in Palma last year but it was 3 grand! Is it poss to buy the stone and have it set?
I have always had large hands and knuckles but they are bigger now since ds. I do like to have my rings and watches slightly loose for the fact if they are too tight they will look like I have squeezed them on.

bethelbeth Tue 11-Oct-11 22:12:45

Hi Tracy. It's absolutely possible to buy a stone and have it set.
Even better, if you have any old silver (broken necklaces/old rings etc) you could trade it in against the price for having the ring made which makes things a bit more affordable.

It's also possible to remodel most rings, so if you have rings that you like but don't sit on your hand as well now, depending on the setting, they could take the back off the shank and make it slimmer so that it doesn't pinch.

I'd recommend local and family jewellers as they have better margins for these things and have more leeway to come and go on price.

And oooooh smokey quartz is one of my favourites paired with marcasite for that vintagey look. www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watches/MARC-Sterling-Silver-Smokey-Quartz-and-Marcasite-Ring/6121235/product.html?cid=133635

TracyK Wed 12-Oct-11 06:58:48

www.butterboom.com/wp-content/uploads/may09/pomellato_butterboom_0.jpg
These are my rings that I love but I,m sure they will be tiny too!
Where could I source a stone like these ones ie with the Texture through the middle of it?

TracyK Wed 12-Oct-11 07:00:12

That one you link to is too fancy for me. I like big but v plain iykwim.

PerryCombover Wed 12-Oct-11 08:03:56

some stuff here maybe
stick in a cocktail ring search in google I think <friend had similar but opposite problem to you>

madammecholet Wed 12-Oct-11 08:18:03

I wear rubber gloves all day to sweat off the fat...then wrap them in cling film overnight...works wonders.

saoirse86 Wed 12-Oct-11 10:36:13

£3k for a smokey quartz ring? WTF?!

I wouldn't bother trying to scrap old silver, you'll only be offended when you get the scrap price (around 45p per gram). However, if you have old gold or platinum, that would help.

If you go to a proper manufacturing Jewellers they will source you a stone. My dp is a jeweller and they have stones like that. For something like this it's not usually the stone that costs the money, it'll be the manufacturing costs.

Also I thought I'd mention that those stones you linked to don't have texture through them, they're just shadows. Most stones like that will be clear but you should be able to find something with some interest if you're willing to wait.

bethelbeth Wed 12-Oct-11 18:39:45

By texture through them do you mean the criss crosses across the top?

If you search for multi faceted stones you will probably get a good result.

Agreed that most of the cost is in the manufacturing but do consider trading in old silver to keep costs low, if you have anything that could be resold you will get a better price for it.

TracyK Wed 12-Oct-11 19:40:52

I think the price for the one I like is for the name etc. like buying a 'handbag' for a grand but some people do cos it's a Dior or the like. When I first saw the ring it was only 1800!
As far as I remember it was like a wee honeycomb through the stone. But the colours were just delish!
I shall try and source a manufacturing jeweller. There are quite a few diamond merchants in Glasgow maybe they could do it or know of someone.
Thanks girls.
Did you really mean it Madame???

bethelbeth Wed 12-Oct-11 20:59:40

Are you in Glasgow TracyK???! I can recommend some great places then as it is my hometurf grin

miche8 Wed 12-Oct-11 21:06:29

thats a lovely ring....do you have another ring to wear on that finger for the time being? when we bought my engagement ring i was told to come back 3 months later to get it re-sized as apparently wearing a ring wears down the fat, they made it a whole size smaller of course this won't be any use if its several sizes too small.

saoirse86 Wed 12-Oct-11 21:33:10

That cut is called chequerboard if that helps when you're talking to Jewellers about it.

Miche8 I had that with my engagement ring too. I went down 2 sizes but I think I'm rather, erm, fleshy! wink maybe it'll even up if when I get a wedding ring to go with it. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now