Talk

Advanced search

It's too cold for Birkenstocks now...

(24 Posts)
40notTrendy Tue 11-Oct-11 19:28:18

I need some shoe advice. I live in Birkenstocks over the summer, especially so since I tore a tendon in my foot trying to keep fit (that'll teach me). I now need some equivalent for winter to wear at work. I need something that has a similar level of support, but doesn't make me look like an old lady. I wear a lot of wide leg trousers. I'm also a skinflint on a budget, so something for similar price would be good too. smile
Any suggestions?

groak Tue 11-Oct-11 21:11:15

Converse? I am still wearing my birkenstocks, and when I cave in wear my brasher boots, so not the girliest person for suggestions! What about Dr Marten Jenny pull on boot?

doglover Tue 11-Oct-11 21:15:19

Fitflop boots?

musttidyupmusttidyup Tue 11-Oct-11 21:17:10

I live in Birkenstocks in the summer and uggs or equivalent in the winter. I have problems with foot (Mortens neuroma) so need something wide and comfortable. Looking for a nice smartish pair of knee highs for when I return to work though.

mirpuppet Tue 11-Oct-11 21:20:18

Birkenstocks makes winter shoes. They may not be stylish but if you have a foot condition and you know they are comfortable I would spend the money.

40notTrendy Tue 11-Oct-11 22:29:50

I love the idea of doc martens!! I had a wonderful pair of purple ones as a student, I've just had a look at the website and they still do them!! Not quite elegant enough for work tho, but wonder if I could get away with the lace up shoes? They look a bit brogue-ish? Have toyed with idea of birk shoes but they are a bit clog like for work, again not sure if quite right. Not keen on the fitflop stuff, but thanks for suggestion.

40notTrendy Tue 11-Oct-11 22:30:46

Btw, it's a thick sole I need, impact an issue.

2to3 Tue 11-Oct-11 22:35:32

I've got some gorgeous Birkenstock kneelenght black boots and live in them all winter when sandals aren't an option. Expensive, but worth it.

40notTrendy Tue 11-Oct-11 22:51:40

I luuurrvve the birk boots but just don't have the cash for them sad

musttidyupmusttidyup Wed 12-Oct-11 09:13:17

I tried on some fitflop boots but had no chance of getting them round my calves (which are not massively chunky- I usually get into knee high boots)

screamqueenrollo Wed 12-Oct-11 09:56:03

if you haven't worn DM's for years then do not buy them online. You need to try them on as they've changed. I have pretty narrow feet but the DM's I ordered just don't fit. I thought they needed wearing in (and can you remember the hell that is?) but no....no amount of wearing in alters the fact they are too tight across the bridge of my foot.
(i'm now living in a pair of old ones my sister got bored with)

talkingnonsense Wed 12-Oct-11 10:59:48

I have the fitflop sneakers and they are really really comfy and not as 'obvious' as the boots?

LolaLadybird Wed 12-Oct-11 23:38:52

If you need smart shoes then maybe try Next Heavenly soles here. For a fashion shoe they are actually v well made and super-comfortable. I am also a Birkenstock girl during the summer but really like these.

40notTrendy Thu 13-Oct-11 07:39:50

Lola thank you!! What a great find, loads of lovely ones.

bethelbeth Thu 13-Oct-11 09:00:14

These are more quirky and not to everyone's taste, but they are extremely cushioned and supportive- allegria shoes.
I have the purple leopard print ones for work!
No link sorry as I'm on phone but use google.
They are quite expensive but worth it although the odd pair shows up in tk maxx.
Also I paid £30 in my local independent shoe shop for them in the sale!

LadyClariceCannockMonty Thu 13-Oct-11 17:29:44

Was going to suggest Fitflop shoes/sneakers but see everyone's beat me to it!

I use orthotic insole things, which you can put in most kinds of shoe – are they any good for you?

Carrotsandcelery Thu 13-Oct-11 17:33:35

Why not get fitted for Supafeet or Superfeet (can't remember the name precisely) in a running shop and then use them as insoles in an ordinary pair of boots?

This is what I do inside my knee high leather boots and it makes them even more comfortable that birkies IMHO. You can take the soles out and put them in any shoe "deep" enough to hide them eg doc shoes, red or dead lace ups that sort of thing.

40notTrendy Thu 13-Oct-11 21:54:24

I have inserts, the podiatrist gave me a pair (felt v old as clinic was full of very old but very lovely old ladies) so could put them in anything but wondered if there was anything out there like Birks that do the job anyway - and it seems there is, hurrah! Just got in, about to start checking out all these ideas smile.

40notTrendy Thu 13-Oct-11 21:54:46

Oooh long sentence, sorry!

Selks Thu 13-Oct-11 22:03:11

Alegria shoes are wonderful to wear - I have a pair of the clogs. So comfortable, and I like the 'quirky' look (hate a lot of high street show styles). I've got these Alegrias for work.

BoffinMum Thu 13-Oct-11 22:09:23

Pricey but this firm also make other cheaper shoes to order and have a range of styles and insoles, if I remember correctly

40notTrendy Thu 13-Oct-11 22:23:04

Alegria look fab. Love all the patterns too.

betheldeath Fri 14-Oct-11 23:45:28

The Alegria's could never be described as a dainty shoe but daaaamn they are so comfortable.

Every time I wear other shoes I wince because they're just not as bouncy or balanced as them.

Parasaurolophus Sat 15-Oct-11 07:49:56

Two years ago I had a running injury in my foot and lived in the Birkenstock winter range. They weren't the most stylish - but they were perfect for recovery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now